Author Topic: Any thoughts on this roast graph?  (Read 19226 times)

Offline folkery

• Solid or Perf: Solid
Any thoughts on this roast graph?
« on: June 24, 2017, 01:33:42 PM »
Any thoughts on these roast graphs?

First roasts charged at 450 first crack came at 730-8 minutes

second roast charged at 470 used more airflow towards the middle of the roast and FC came at 9 minutes.

Offline Wayneg1

• Global Moderator
  • Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 825
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 400
Re: Any thoughts on this roast graph?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 01:54:34 PM »
It would help to see more info like fc temp/ time and end of FC. Seems underdeveloped to me but that may be what you were aiming for.  It's easy to setup the events. You can also right click the graph and add them.

Offline folkery

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 02:27:10 PM »
Ok. I will make the changes. Just realized on my second roast I neglected to reopen the damper... :'(

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 01:48:15 PM »
Try charging at 350f and getting back to 300f in 5-6 minutes. Then dropping the roast at one of your previous end points; 422f and 429f while trying to keep the RD phase (first crack to drop) 2:30 or less. This would be a more traditional type profile for high grown washed beans.

Offline folkery

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 06:37:41 PM »
Try charging at 350f and getting back to 300f in 5-6 minutes. Then dropping the roast at one of your previous end points; 422f and 429f while trying to keep the RD phase (first crack to drop) 2:30 or less. This would be a more traditional type profile for high grown washed beans.

Thanks!

Do you mean first crack to drop should take 2 minutes 30 seconds?

Offline folkery

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 07:41:43 PM »
So, I've been using GregR roasting guide for all these roasts.

The coffee I'm using is high grown and flavor profile is very basic.

I know there is tons for me to learn. I've read Scott Rao's book as well as Rob Hoos'. however, now that I am putting theory into practice, Iam having to learn BT lines, profiles, RoR and learning how to apply heat (kpa) and airflow at certain stages of the roast.

Iam still uncertain how to achieve proper development of inner bean and flavor. I've been charging at 470, yellowing happens around 4:30 and First crack at 7:30.

The coffee tastes sweet and bodied.

How can I improve?

Offline Adondo

• J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 350g
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 01:29:25 AM »
So, I've been using GregR roasting guide for all these roasts.

The coffee I'm using is high grown and flavor profile is very basic.

I know there is tons for me to learn. I've read Scott Rao's book as well as Rob Hoos'. however, now that I am putting theory into practice, Iam having to learn BT lines, profiles, RoR and learning how to apply heat (kpa) and airflow at certain stages of the roast.

Iam still uncertain how to achieve proper development of inner bean and flavor. I've been charging at 470, yellowing happens around 4:30 and First crack at 7:30.

The coffee tastes sweet and bodied.

How can I improve?

Cup them all blindly and decide which one you like the most. Then ask yourself why it tastes different. :-)

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 02:23:03 PM »
Yes, anytime between the end of first crack and 2:30 after the onset of first crack.

Offline folkery

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 10:45:05 PM »
Yes, anytime between the end of first crack and 2:30 after the onset of first crack.

Much Better results Hank!

I charged at 360F/180C
drying by 5:30
First crack 9:00
RD 2:12 @ 19%

I tasted the coffee and its clean and no baked flavors

However I ran into another problem as I was doing back to back roasts. Between four roast my FC started fine 9 minutes and then gradually took longer each roast, 9:30, 9:50, 10:00.
I believe im losing thermal temperature each roast and need to learn a method to re-warm up the roaster.

After each roast I kept the fan high and heat low, however, did not track my time. For my first roast I always do a 15 minute warmup. What kind of protocol do you take to reach proper thermal temperature between roasts? Do you warm up another 15 mintues then drop your temp to your charge? Or do you drop your temp real low and then warm up again?

Cheers..

Offline folkery

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 10:57:16 PM »
Here are the four roasts...

Offline folkery

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 11:02:15 PM »
pngss...

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 06:11:33 AM »

However I ran into another problem as I was doing back to back roasts. Between four roast my FC started fine 9 minutes and then gradually took longer each roast, 9:30, 9:50, 10:00.
I believe im losing thermal temperature each roast and need to learn a method to re-warm up the roaster.

After each roast I kept the fan high and heat low, however, did not track my time. For my first roast I always do a 15 minute warmup. What kind of protocol do you take to reach proper thermal temperature between roasts? Do you warm up another 15 mintues then drop your temp to your charge? Or do you drop your temp real low and then warm up again?

Cheers..
I fully agree with Hank on charging lower. You can go even lower than 350F...

My routine before between roasts is to first fire up the heater at 1.0kPa (or less) and have the fan spin at a low speed (or just a tad more). You're good with at least 15 minutes, but more doesn't hurt. While waiting, I start up my computer and Artisan, weigh up some green coffee for my first roast and brew myself a cup. The idea is to slowly get the roaster up to a temp which is slightly above drop temp, say 450F or so. This will heat up the whole system and "mimic" where the roaster is at after a roast.
From there I use the same method, regardless of it being the first or any of the following roast(s), to slowly cool the roaster down to charge temp. I turn the heater off and use the fan to slowly suck out the heat. The fan should be just above the minimal setting. It does take a few minutes, but the important thing is to get the roaster to the same state every time, which is hard if you rush it.
After charging I wait for about 60sec to light up the heater (at full blast). I've found out that the heater may be difficult to ignite at first when cold, but it ignites easily for any subsequent roast.
Using this method, I can drop a roast, turn off the heat and set the fan low, weigh my result and weigh up the greens for the next roast, make notes in Artisan and take out the chaff from the chaff sieve. By then the temp should be approaching my intended charge temp. Having to re-heat the roaster is a pain, so see to that the fan isn't sucking too much heat too fast.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 08:26:32 AM »
Just out of curiosity, are you emptying the chaff out of the sieve/fan between roasts?  It occurs to me that your chaff buildup between roasts could be making the actual airflow from one roast to the next change with the increased accumulation of chaff....

Tilting at windmills....
"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Offline folkery

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 08:44:50 AM »
Just out of curiosity, are you emptying the chaff out of the sieve/fan between roasts?  It occurs to me that your chaff buildup between roasts could be making the actual airflow from one roast to the next change with the increased accumulation of chaff....

Tilting at windmills....

Your right Susan, I did not remove my chaff between roasts and I suspected that myself. I didn't imagine the amount that was accumilating would make that much a difference. 

Offline folkery

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 08:59:27 AM »

I fully agree with Hank on charging lower. You can go even lower than 350F...

Thanks for the feedback Jon!
I will give it a try.

So to my understanding if I charge lower am I allowing more inner bean development occur? (More time under pressure before FC) however if I charge too high 470-500 I'm only roasting the outside of the bean and going to fast; not allowing proper development. When I started learning roasting I was taught to shoot for 7-8 minutes for FC, but now I'm seeing 9 is the pocket to shoot for. I'm guessing it depends on the bean and it's the difference between a slow roast and a fast one. Both are routes I can take when trying a new bean out and should take time to taste them.

Is there a sweet spot when FC starts? and if I charge lower than 350 will that cause my FC to happen later than 9 minutes?

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM