Author Topic: Warped Stovetop from Used Huky + Missing Power Cord  (Read 12701 times)

Offline afelli

Warped Stovetop from Used Huky + Missing Power Cord
« on: July 19, 2017, 09:05:48 PM »
Hey all!

I recently bought a used T, and I have a few questions.

• It came with two exhaust bowls, instead of one fan and one bowl. Am I correct in that the exhaust bowl sits higher, thus making it too tall to drop the beans into the tray? Is there any reason why it would've come with two bowls?
  • The shipper forgot to send me the power cord with it. Would you happen to know where I could get a replacement, outside of requesting Mr. Li to ship one from Taiwan?
  • The stovetop appears to have been warped during shipping. Because of this, the roaster is quite unstable. Has any one else dealt with this? I can't test it until a power cord arrives, but my assumption is that it's going to shake around like a poorly loaded washing machine
  • I wasn't expecting the IR burner to be tilted at such a steep angle. Is there a reason why it's tilted like this?
  • Is there standard maintenance that you'd recommend I do before getting started?

I've uploaded a few videos of the instability on youtube:
https://youtu.be/ZfiPipXF6iM

https://youtu.be/O17Tp5TMCKk

Thanks in advance!

Offline Igneous88

• Solid or Perf: Perf
  • Serial Number: 1307
  • J or T : T
Re: Warped Stovetop from Used Huky + Missing Power Cord
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 05:51:34 AM »
Are all of the rubber feet on your huky?

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 06:27:47 AM »
Yes, the roaster seems to be lacking a couple of rubber feet.
For the cooling tray fan, the difference between a normal fan stand and the exhaust bowl is about 1/4". The easiest way to fix this is to rise the heater by that height... Now, the reason for using two exhaust bowls is the idea that the cooling fan will drag some smoke into the roasting space, so if you can duct it out you don't get smell contamination in your roasting space. But that amount of smoke is very minimal, you will probably get some "aromas" in your roasting space anyhow, which is why I personally only use the single exhaust bowl.
If you mean the cord between the 24V DC converter to the wall socket, that is a standard cord which you can find just about anywhere where they sell electrics/electronics. Else, if that converter is missing, you can probably find such a piece too. I found similar converters on the Internet from a company selling replacement converters for inkjet printers and laptop computer chargers. It's 24V/2A.

Tilted IR burner??? I don't see what you mean.

Anyhow, you can get a new set of feet from Mr Li. If you want to use the cooling fan without the exhaust bowl, a more simple tripod will cost a dollar or two. (The set of rubber feet will probably cost something similar.)

I've written a maintainence document which can be found in the Downloads section. Link here.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 10:24:32 AM »
Hey all!

I recently bought a used T, and I have a few questions.

• It came with two exhaust bowls, instead of one fan and one bowl. Am I correct in that the exhaust bowl sits higher, thus making it too tall to drop the beans into the tray? Is there any reason why it would've come with two bowls?
  • The shipper forgot to send me the power cord with it. Would you happen to know where I could get a replacement, outside of requesting Mr. Li to ship one from Taiwan?
  • The stovetop appears to have been warped during shipping. Because of this, the roaster is quite unstable. Has any one else dealt with this? I can't test it until a power cord arrives, but my assumption is that it's going to shake around like a poorly loaded washing machine
  • I wasn't expecting the IR burner to be tilted at such a steep angle. Is there a reason why it's tilted like this?
  • Is there standard maintenance that you'd recommend I do before getting started?

I've uploaded a few videos of the instability on youtube:
https://youtu.be/ZfiPipXF6iM

https://youtu.be/O17Tp5TMCKk

Thanks in advance!

You say you got two exhaust bowls instead of a bowl and a fan?  Does that mean you didn't get a fan? Does that mean you didn't get two fans?

Why can't 'the shipper' forward you the power cord you need if in fact he 'forgot'?

The stove could not 'warp' during shipping;  could you post a picture of the top of the stove?  There should be corner supports that the HUKY feet sit on. Some people remove those rubber feet anyway.
"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Offline afelli

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 08:17:58 PM »
I have attached 5 photos showing the damage.

A few notes:
1.) The huky has all 4 feet.
2.) The stovetop is flat between three of the corners, and one corner is bent up about 1cm. You can see the steel 'ribboning' as a result of the bending. It looks like it was damaged during shipping - probably dropped.
3.) I've asked the seller to try to find the power cord, with no luck so far.
4.) it came with two exhaust bowls + fan. So, two bowls, two fans. Basically, they have the bean-cooling fan with a bowl underneath, which I wasn't expecting
5.) The tilt of the IR burner - I'm referring to the fact that the burner itself is mounted on a bracket, which makes it tilt ~10degrees instead of pointing directly up when placed on top of a table. Is this expected?

The first four photos ("Huky Warp 2-5") below will show the four corners of the IR stove. You will see that three of the corners make contact with the tray, meaning it's flat, where one corner "lifts up" due to the warping that I am speaking of.

"Huky Warp 1" photo shows that all 4 feet are still on the Huky.

I think the obvious plan moving forward is
1.) Determine, either from Hukyforum or contacting Mr. Li, what power source I need to drive the 48RPM motor and
2.) Buy a new IR stove

Does anyone have a link for where to buy a replacement power cable? I see that it's 24V and 2A; but, I'm not sure if the AC waveform is different in the US and Taiwan, if a converter is needed, and what exact connection it needs on the huky-end.

Thanks!

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 08:56:18 PM »
The first four photos ("Huky Warp 2-5") below will show the four corners of the IR stove. You will see that three of the corners make contact with the tray, meaning it's flat, where one corner "lifts up" due to the warping that I am speaking of.

Okay, now I see what you mean. "Warp" usually means a distortion due to heat or dampness, which is why your original statement didn't make sense to me.  Sorry.  Good luck 

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 03:05:39 AM »
Yes, now the "warp" makes sense. The burner is quite sturdy, so it takes quite a bit of force to make it warp like that. But I guess that you can bend it back into shape. To be on the safe side, you ought to take out the more fragile burner parts before attempting that bend. (Or take it to a workshop and have them help you...)
The motor AC/DC converter is a universal one. This one should be enough: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y1XUQMO?psc=1
But I do wonder if it's only the cord (from the wall to the converter) you're missing or if it's both the AC cord and the converter. (In the "stolen" pic below from another Amazon adapter, but only 1A.)
If it's only the cord, it should be available from something like Walmart (I'm not familiar with the US shopping scene, but here in Sweden there are similar chains of stores focusing on auto parts, tools etc. All of these chains are very cheap, focusing on chinese made items.)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:15:40 AM by edtbjon »
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline afelli

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 07:08:34 PM »
Yes, now the "warp" makes sense. The burner is quite sturdy, so it takes quite a bit of force to make it warp like that. But I guess that you can bend it back into shape. To be on the safe side, you ought to take out the more fragile burner parts before attempting that bend. (Or take it to a workshop and have them help you...)
The motor AC/DC converter is a universal one. This one should be enough: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y1XUQMO?psc=1
But I do wonder if it's only the cord (from the wall to the converter) you're missing or if it's both the AC cord and the converter. (In the "stolen" pic below from another Amazon adapter, but only 1A.)
If it's only the cord, it should be available from something like Walmart (I'm not familiar with the US shopping scene, but here in Sweden there are similar chains of stores focusing on auto parts, tools etc. All of these chains are very cheap, focusing on chinese made items.)

So - I had bought the cable you recommended, and unfortunately the diameter at the end is not the same, and it does not fit into the Huky.

Would anyone mind sending me a photo of the power cable they are using on their Huky? I would like to prevent the wrong purchase from happening again if possible!

I wonder if it's just going to come down to me waiting for 3 weeks for a new one from Mr. Li :(

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 08:17:39 PM »
I wonder if it's just going to come down to me waiting for 3 weeks for a new one from Mr. Li :(
What makes you think it would take three weeks?
Is that what Mr. Li told you?
I guess that could be true if he has to order it before he can send it to you, but at least two people recently have gotten their entire HUKY order in 8-10 days.   

Offline beananimal

• Solid or Perf: solid installed, performated available
  • Serial Number: 363
  • J or T : T (+J)
  • Charge Weight : 333g or 400g
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 12:46:45 PM »
It doesn't make sense to order the power supply from Mr. Li. It is a standard part.
The connectors diameter is Da = 5.5mm, di = 2.5mm. That is one of the usual ones.
There are many power supplies with a set of connectors to choose from.

Regarding warping:
Check the rubberfeet and try to turn them so that the "new" side is outside. Used rubberfeet are no more symetric. Depending which side is outside the Huky may sit deeper "in" the stove.
The Huky shall not wobble, but it is not earthquake solid fixed.

Note also:
Depending the position the Huky has on the stove (more to the front, or more to the back) it tilts a little bit forward or backwards
be an animal: be curious. trust you guts. play the game

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 04:50:20 PM »
The rubber feet are not required to run the Huky; you can take them off. My guess is one of the foot rest tabs is bent. If you put the roaster upside down on a pillow, use a cutting board to figure out where it the issue is; and use a pliers to adjust.

Cords are available at the thrift, goodwill, Salvation Army stores. I have one with a lower voltage that works, am not using it.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM