Author Topic: Newbie - Considering an Order  (Read 13726 times)

Offline bradenl123

Newbie - Considering an Order
« on: August 15, 2017, 08:27:33 PM »
Huky500T 1180$
Replace ET analog with digital
72rpm motor (what are the pros and cons of a higher rpm)
Solid Drum

IR Stove 99$
Extra MET 18$
Extra Tray 16$
Extra Fan 48$
Extra Bowl 49$
Extra Funnel 14$

I like rhawea's setup for the independent cooling. I will also get Phidget. Is it easy to connect probes to phidet? Is there anything I'm missing that will allow me to get that extra oomph? Also this could be a stupid question...is the IR Stove independent or does it connect to a tank? Final question: is there anything I need to make repairs or replacements along the way?

Thanks,

Braden
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:07:55 AM by SusanJoM »

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
Re: Newbie- Please Review Order
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 06:03:33 AM »
Ah, I replied to your other thread just now, but here goes.
The order looks good. The only thing that I have found out to be a good extra item is an extra Thermocouple at about $20.

The Phidget connects very easily, just get a case for it.

For the IR burner you do need a tank. I use the smallest propane tank available (about a US gallon size), but anything will do. Apart from that you may have to find a gas pressure regulator with just a bit more oomph than a standard BBQ regulator. 50mBar/20inH2O will do nicely. (It's the same idea as with this one at MillCityRoasters, but I guess there are cheaper ones available.)

Last, try to find some kind of voltage regulator for the exhaust fan. Again, a router controller will do nicely, while a light dimmer is a bit too small for the job.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 07:59:12 AM »
Ah, I replied to your other thread just now, but here goes.
The order looks good. The only thing that I have found out to be a good extra item is an extra Thermocouple at about $20.

The Phidget connects very easily, just get a case for it.

For the IR burner you do need a tank. I use the smallest propane tank available (about a US gallon size), but anything will do. Apart from that you may have to find a gas pressure regulator with just a bit more oomph than a standard BBQ regulator. 50mBar/20inH2O will do nicely. (It's the same idea as with this one at MillCityRoasters, but I guess there are cheaper ones available.)

Last, try to find some kind of voltage regulator for the exhaust fan. Again, a router controller will do nicely, while a light dimmer is a bit too small for the job.

Mr Li will send you the regulator you need for the propane tank.  You should do a search and look at the safe way to connect the gas.

Also look in the reference area for directions on how to set up Artisan and your Phidget.

I am not sure I agree that a back-up thermocouple makes sense on the original order.  I know it has happened that T/Cs have failed, but the incidence seems very small, and the MET T/C could be re-homed temporarily while a new one is ordered.  But suit yourself.

The wording of your post is a tad confusing.  You want ONE exhaust bowl...."extra" suggests a second, but you do only want one....

"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Offline bradenl123

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 04:32:39 PM »

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 05:17:21 PM »
Heck, I don't even see one in that picture.

But, if you do want two (and it's not unheard of), you will need to factor in another $49.00 since each one is an add on.  There is not one included in the base package.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:24:31 PM by SusanJoM »
"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Offline bradenl123

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 05:30:55 PM »
Perhaps I don't know what each item is in the pricing. I thought that those were exhaust bowls! Lol.

Offline Igneous88

• Solid or Perf: Perf
  • Serial Number: 1307
  • J or T : T
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 07:16:27 PM »
Braden, what you are seeing in the picture is just the fans.  The exhaust bowl is a bowl under the fun that has a 2.5" hole in it for your exhaust. I have attached a picture. 

Offline bradenl123

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 12:30:07 PM »
Is an extra motor necessary? For those of you who have had a Huky for a few years now is a motor something that would break? And what about a drum? I know there a differences between perforated and regular but can one make the same roasts on each obviously with learning? Like is one suited for certain roasts over the other?

Thanks,

Braden

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 06:28:39 PM »
Is an extra motor necessary? For those of you who have had a Huky for a few years now is a motor something that would break? And what about a drum? I know there a differences between perforated and regular but can one make the same roasts on each obviously with learning? Like is one suited for certain roasts over the other?

Thanks,

Braden
If you order 2 drums, the "standard historical" setups are 48rpm with the perforated drum and 72 rpm with the solid drum. Those who orders the whole lot (solid and perforated drums) usually orders two motors in housings.
To answer your question, I'm still on my original motor. But an extra motor in the same speed as you have is only $19 (?.. or so) and will save you a weeks waiting if you do have a breakdown. (But it's the only thing on the Huky which is difficult and fiddly to change, which is why it's recommended to get the alt.speed motor in a housing if you order that "complete" setup.)

About drum choice, I'd recommend you to go for one type and stick with it for a long time. You will learn roasting with either drum, but you cannot fix anything by changing drums. (It seems like you've made the choice... but you wanted an opinion.)
The problem is that it's difficult to be "at one" with both type of drums at one single time, hence it's almost impossible to make comparative roasts.
For the differencies, please look in the forum. This have been answered, discussed and argued over too many times. ;)
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline Wayneg1

• Global Moderator
  • Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 825
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 400
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 07:33:21 PM »
There is another difference with the two drums.  When you order the perforated drum it has a grate that you can open and close by pulling or pushing a handle on the back of the Huky.  If you have a solid drum you don't need the grate so it's not there.  There are images you can search for that will show the operation of the grate.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM