Author Topic: Bodhi's Mexico Organic Chiapas aka "El Guapo"  (Read 10161 times)

Offline kenneroast

• Solid or Perf: Solid as of Jan'16
  • Serial Number: 604
  • J or T : J pipe
  • Charge Weight : 227g or 454g
Bodhi's Mexico Organic Chiapas aka "El Guapo"
« on: May 13, 2015, 10:09:34 PM »
Last week, we received our Cinco de Mayo special order of the Mexico Organic Chiapas. In our household, and as a joke that stemmed from a conversation with my uncle, we've been referring to it as El Guapo (yes, like the movie Three Amigos). It has made working with this particular bean humorous here. :)

Our notes from tasting it: smooth, cocoa, nutty, nice body. The cocoa is really highlighted when we pull a shot of espresso with it, and I've been really digging it.

There are some additional experiments I'd like to do with this bean. I'd like to fine tune the roast to smooth out the RoR curve, and to get MET back into check. Also, there's this long drawn out first crack that goes into higher temperatures than I'm use to. So I'm hoping to address this somehow.

Overall, I can't complain about this deal. El Guapo hasn't been terrorizing my village at all. He's been really pleasant.

Offline kenneroast

Re: Bodhi's Mexico Organic Chiapas aka "El Guapo"
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 10:12:44 PM »
Sorry in advance, but I feel that I must do this..

Offline kenneroast

Re: Bodhi's Mexico Organic Chiapas aka "El Guapo"
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 11:20:50 AM »
I roasted some of this bean and shared it with my uncle and his coffee snob neighbor. His neighbor was kind enough to give me some great feedback about this particular bean. I thought it would be great for anyone interested in trying this bean. My inner circle of family / friends have really enjoyed it.

From the coffee snob neighbor:

Part 1
my uncle>..this is coming from a guy who normally drives 80 miles round trip to buy his espresso beans..

neighbor> "I’ll give you some feedback soon as I want to dial it in by taste, but first impression is that he did a great job.  It’s already dialed in to be better than anything I can buy off the shelf and better than a lot of local roasters."

Part 2
neighbor> This has more of a caramel/cocoa finish to me and I would have expected a little more of a fruity.  It’s very good.  I wonder if it might be roasted a little on the light side.  I had to turn my water temperature up slightly and slow the pour down about 8 seconds from my normal to pull the flavors out.  Otherwise I get a little bit more of a sour/light flavor.  When I turned the temperature up to 204.5 degrees/9 bar and poured 1.8oz over 36 seconds (15 grams of coffee) I get more of what I would expect.  I’d say it’s a nice medium body coffee.  Very nice aroma, a definite caramel and cocoa with a little honey and floral.  I can’t pin point it, but something on it seems lighter than I would expect.  I’m not sure if that’s related to the bean/region or maybe a lighter roast?  The beans seem very forgiving, they are not very finicky with extraction requirements.  I can get a nice sweetness and crème out of them very easily.  Overall he did a fantastic job.  It is great coffee.

It's also another great review of the quality the Huky is capable of producing.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM