Author Topic: is there a best way to let the HUKY cool off?  (Read 11712 times)

Offline Chert

• Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 593
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 109-115, 400
is there a best way to let the HUKY cool off?
« on: January 20, 2016, 09:27:57 PM »
I had been running my fan until the BT came down to 60C with the gas off before turning off the drum.

Is any coll off routine necessary?  Is it okay to let the machine cool off with the J piece off, the gate open and the tryer out, the motor off. Or could that damage bearings or otherwise cause any problem.

I want to stop running my fan so that less chaff will clog up my screen. 
Cooperative / fundraising roasting with Huky 500

Offline summer

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 302
  • Charge Weight : 350g
Re: is there a best way to let the HUKY cool off?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 11:57:19 PM »
If chaff is your concern, empty the sieve before your begin cooldown.

I empty the sieve, and run full fan with gate open until BT is 100°C - I do this to be able to handle the roaster, cause I store the roaster i a closet.  :)
cremina - caravel - handgrinders

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 04:06:51 PM »
I had been running my fan until the BT came down to 60C with the gas off before turning off the drum.

Is any coll off routine necessary?  Is it okay to let the machine cool off with the J piece off, the gate open and the tryer out, the motor off. Or could that damage bearings or otherwise cause any problem.

I want to stop running my fan so that less chaff will clog up my screen.
Think you'll be fine using an alternative cooling method; Huky instructions do not have shut down advice. Checked my other machine which stated: shut down when BT is below 80C and not increasing. What I have found is the heat does increase often after shut down; running the motor for an extra hour is not going to hurt anything. Or use a small desk fan for a cooling boost.

Offline Daave

• Serial Number: 704
  • Charge Weight : 350
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 05:11:45 PM »
I just let my roaster cool off by shutting turning off the gas. My procedure looks something like this:

• Drop my beans.
  • Turn off the roaster fan.
  • Turn off the gas & burner.
  • Once the fan has died down, I remove the J pipe & shop vac the chaff out of the fan screen.
  • Put the J pipe back on.

Since my roaster doesn't move and I'm not worried about having to move the roaster, this has worked out fine so far. Should I consider trying to cool down the roaster too when I finish rather than letting it naturally cool down?

Offline brew

• Serial Number: 897
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 400g
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 05:30:15 PM »
Maybe i'm doing it all wrong but I follow Daaves first 3 steps and usually walk away when beans are cool.
"More than half of the accident-involved motorcycle riders had less than 5 months experience on the accident motorcycle, although the total street riding experience was almost 3 years. Motorcycle riders with dirt bike experience are significantly underrepresented in the accident data" -Hurt Report

Offline Chert

• Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 593
  • Charge Weight : 109-115, 400
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 07:07:44 PM »
Maybe i'm doing it all wrong but I follow Daaves first 3 steps and usually walk away when beans are cool.

I am going to switch to this method.  Maybe just blow some ambient temp air through the roaster or use my shop vac.    The roaster would have to be much higher than 500F I suppose for metals to start to bend or such and it's collling off anyway.  Thanks for the thoughts on the matter.

Flint
Cooperative / fundraising roasting with Huky 500

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 07:37:31 PM »
For most roasters cool down involves running the drum motor and exhaust fan. Giesen roasters have an auto shut down mode, operator does not need to be present. Manual mode for everyone else.

Unless we hear otherwise from Mr. Li, it would be wise to follow the accepted guidelines; machine is running until the shut down temperature is reached and not increasing.

Offline Daave

• Serial Number: 704
  • Charge Weight : 350
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 07:31:04 AM »
For most roasters cool down involves running the drum motor and exhaust fan. Giesen roasters have an auto shut down mode, operator does not need to be present. Manual mode for everyone else.

Unless we hear otherwise from Mr. Li, it would be wise to follow the accepted guidelines; machine is running until the shut down temperature is reached and not increasing.

Good point. I'll try following these guidelines going forward.

Offline kenneroast

• Solid or Perf: Solid as of Jan'16
  • Serial Number: 604
  • J or T : J pipe
  • Charge Weight : 227g or 454g
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 09:52:37 AM »
Since I have to setup and tear down my Huky each time I roast, it's part of my routine to just let the exhaust fan and drum run. It easily runs a good 10-15 minutes while I sweep, vacuum, wrap cords up, and put things back in the crates our roasting accessories reside. I also like to clear the chaff out after my last roaster. It's not much different than the vacuuming I do between roasts (turn the exhaust fan off, remove J-pipe, vacuum, restore J-pipe, turn exhaust fan back on).

My general rule has been if the Huky is cool enough for me to touch, then I've given it enough time to the cool down and feel confident about turning off the drum and exhaust fan. I've followed this guideline because intuition steered me toward the belief that it's not best to turn everything off while the components were hot. It's probably overkill, but it has just become part of my routine.

The cool down procedure I follow was also put in place to keep myself from being burned when moving the roaster. I stupidly managed to burn my forearm pretty bad on the exhaust pipe in the beginning. It was a worthy battle wound, but I've been scared of another burn like that ever since.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM