Author Topic: Flame from bottom of stock Huky Gauge  (Read 18068 times)

Offline BoxAlarm

• Solid or Perf: Enjoying the solid
  • Serial Number: 939
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : learning at 350g
Flame from bottom of stock Huky Gauge
« on: March 03, 2016, 07:27:40 PM »
Anyone have a problem with stock gauge shooting flames from the bottom? On my first Huky test run I had a flame coming from the bottom. Dismantled the gauge then put it back together then back on the stove but still flame shooting from the bottom. I guess Its a good excuse for the upgrade I see others have made. Has anyone had a problem with the Dwyer gauge 15 WC/3.75kpa. I'm using the the stock LPG reg at 1psi which equates to 27.7 in WC and 6.89 kpa.

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
  • Solid or Perf: have both but now using the solid drum
  • Serial Number: 552
  • J or T : Have both - currently using J
  • Charge Weight : 340 - 454g
Re: Flame from bottom of stock Huky Gauge
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 07:38:51 PM »
I have not had any flames coming from the stock Huky Gauge.  That sounds like a gas leak to me.  I would stop using it and contact Mr Li for a replacement.

Offline Wayneg1

• Global Moderator
  • Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 825
  • Charge Weight : 400
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 07:49:21 PM »
I did have this problem and I notified Mr. Li who sent me a replacement.  I've since changed it out with a Dwyer gauge.

Offline BoxAlarm

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 08:38:52 PM »
Thanks for the prompt replies. I removed the gauge when i couldn't fix the leak and replaced it with a gauge I had laying around just so I could try out the new Huky. I will notify Mr. Li but I think the 3.75 Kpa Gauge would be better. Are you having any problems with over pressurizing your new gauge with the stock Huky lpg reg? My old 15WC gauge gets pegged past 15 when I toggle the burner igniter.

Offline Wayneg1

• Global Moderator
  • Serial Number: 825
  • Charge Weight : 400
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 05:47:43 AM »
My old 15WC gauge gets pegged past 15 when I toggle the burner igniter.

The issue could be how you are using the blue micro needle.  If it's too far open you can peg the needle.

Offline kwokfc

• Serial Number: 869
  • Charge Weight : 200-300g
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 07:58:49 AM »
You may consider remove the gauge and take down all the Teflon tape on it. Clean the thread and then roll a thicker layer of Teflon tape and see if the leak persists.

On numerous exchanges I had with Li, he mentioned the IR stove can take a maximum of 6kPa, I take his words and ended up ordering the Dwyer 6.0kPa to replace th stock gauge. It gives better control, more accurate read out than stock without compromising or limiting the capacity of the stove.

SusanJoM

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 08:11:50 AM »
On numerous exchanges I had with Li, he mentioned the IR stove can take a maximum of 6kPa, I take his words and ended up ordering the Dwyer 6.0kPa to replace th stock gauge. It gives better control, more accurate read out than stock without compromising or limiting the capacity of the stove.

This is interesting.  I'm guessing your original gauge was one of the ones that goes up to 10 kPa????   There was an earlier batch of HUKYs whose gauges came with a dial that went up to 5 kPa, and some of us replaced those with the Dwyer gauges that top out at 3.75.  That makes it even easier to control and 3.75 is as much/many as I have ever needed.  Of course I only roast 350 grams, so maybe for someone trying to roast up to 500 grams they might want more ????   I'm not sure, but that 3.75 Dwyer gauge has been a good choice for some of us.

Offline kwokfc

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 06:23:11 PM »
Susan, you are right indeed, mine came with a 10kPa gauge. I do agree though, for any roasting sub 400g, the 3.75 would be sufficed. My decision going for the 6 has partly due to the fact that the gas pops above the limit, say the 3.75 kPa mark before the ignitor(the big black knob) is engaged, as I worry it might screw up the integrity of the gauge in the long run.

SusanJoM

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 06:33:08 PM »
Hmmm....well, maybe someone else who got a 10 kPa would like the 5 kPa that came on my original HUKY???  I'll have to see if I still have it, and (more importantly) can find it :-))

Offline gooseneck

• Solid or Perf: perforated
  • Serial Number: 963
  • Charge Weight : 300g
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 06:56:55 PM »
Hmmm....well, maybe someone else who got a 10 kPa would like the 5 kPa that came on my original HUKY???  I'll have to see if I still have it, and (more importantly) can find it :-))

If mine comes with a 10kPa (still waiting for shipping confirmation!) I might be interested.

ended up ordering the Dwyer 6.0kPa to replace th stock gauge.

Can you post a link of the exact gauge you ordered?

Never mind. I found it on another post. Thanks though.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 07:31:09 PM by gooseneck »

Offline kwokfc

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 10:07:55 AM »
FYI gooseneck, this is how the Dwyer 6.0kpa looks like.

Offline BoxAlarm

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 11:27:48 AM »
Kwocfc
you are absolutely right if you are using the stock 1 psi lpg gas regulator.

1 pound per square inch = 6.89475729 Kpa.
1 pound per square inch = 27.7 inches of water column (wc).

My stock stove gauge leaked gas on the first try so I replaced it with a 15"WC gauge I had on hand. It will get pegged if I toggle the two different gas adjusters on the stove. I plan to replace it with a kpa/wc gauge after i have many roasts under my belt so i can decide if I need the 6kpa or the 3.75kpa. So far i have not used the max 3.75 or 15"wc on my current gauge. I have not roasted a pound of coffee in this roaster yet only 350g so not sure if 6.89kpa is needed. From my limited observation I would say no you will not use 6.89kpa of power during a roast with the HUKY. But there are many on this forum with lots of roast that could probably chime in to help us out.
My other observation is the 3.75kpa gauge has more of a visual adjustability that helps with my old eyes,"they don't see like they use to".

SusanJoM

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 12:08:35 PM »
So far i have not used the max 3.75 or 15"wc on my current gauge. I have not roasted a pound of coffee in this roaster yet only 350g so not sure if 6.89kpa is needed. From my limited observation I would say no you will not use 6.89kpa of power during a roast with the HUKY. But there are many on this forum with lots of roast that could probably chime in to help us out.
My other observation is the 3.75kpa gauge has more of a visual adjustability that helps with my old eyes,"they don't see like they use to".

I have loved my 3.75 gauge !!!  But until two days ago I had never roasted more than 350 gm.  When I did I noticed that I had to exceed the limits provided by the gauge.  That's no problem, since the gauge doesn't act as a limiter, but if you are a fanatic about recording and reporting the exact kPa and if you are planning on roasting a full pound, you might want to get a gauge that goes as high as the HUKY/stove/regulator will allow.  I think that's 5 kPa, but I am not sure.

Offline BoxAlarm

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 07:23:27 PM »
Great to know since i haven't roasted a pound yet. And I haven't purchased a replacement gauge yet. How far past the 3.75 Kpa did you need to go to roast a pound.

SusanJoM

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 07:29:41 PM »
Great to know since i haven't roasted a pound yet. And I haven't purchased a replacement gauge yet. How far past the 3.75 Kpa did you need to go to roast a pound.

Well, I don't know, do I????
I'd guess 4 or maybe 4.25 ????

;D

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM