Author Topic: Competition #3 Roast Profiles  (Read 33278 times)

SusanJoM

Re: Competition #3 Roast Profiles
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2016, 09:27:49 AM »
And this just back from Marko

I took all the available alog files in that thread. The result is similar to your table, just that this one is automatic generated by Artisan. The tables are sortable on columns by click on the column header and the profiles are aligned w.r.t. DROP.

http://my-tonino.com/2016_3rd_Huky_Competition/rankingF.html
http://my-tonino.com/2016_3rd_Huky_Competition/rankingC.html

Please share,
Marko

Offline Chert

• Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 593
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 109-115, 400
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2016, 11:01:58 AM »
And this just back from Marko

I took all the available alog files in that thread. The result is similar to your table, just that this one is automatic generated by Artisan. The tables are sortable on columns by click on the column header and the profiles are aligned w.r.t. DROP.

http://my-tonino.com/2016_3rd_Huky_Competition/rankingF.html
http://my-tonino.com/2016_3rd_Huky_Competition/rankingC.html

Please share,
Marko

Thanks Susan!  I knew there must be someone with more Artisan 0.9.9 savvy than me!   ;)
Cooperative / fundraising roasting with Huky 500

SusanJoM

« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2016, 01:37:23 PM »
Don't thank me, thank Marko....

Offline rodraguirre

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 846
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 350g
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2016, 09:33:13 PM »
And here is the .alog file of my competition submission, along with the png file already posted before.

Offline thusband

• Serial Number: 712
  • Charge Weight : Varies
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2016, 05:48:25 AM »
And here is the .alog file of my competition submission, along with the png file already posted before.
Thanks for the .alog file.  It was a fairly gentle roast wasn't it?  I mean a somewhat low charge temp, gas never above 2.75 Kpa and fan from 35V to 70V.  I think I went off the tracks a bit with my heavy hand. I was #6.

Congrats! Very well done.

edit:I forgot you're on an open flame so we're not talking apples and apples here.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:48:05 AM by thusband »

Offline rodraguirre

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2016, 06:48:38 AM »
Thanks for the .alog file.  It was a fairly gentle roast wasn't it?  I mean a somewhat low charge temp, gas never above 2.75 Kpa and fan from 35V to 70V.  I think I went off the tracks a bit with my heavy hand. I was #6.

Congrats! Very well done.

Well, in fact not so gentle, as 2.75 Kpa in my open flame setup is almost the highest I can get (the max I have ever gone is 3.25 Kpa). If you notice the drying phase, with a RoR averaging almost 40 F/sec, and a low TP of 190 F, and total roast time a bit over 9 min, it was in reality a fast roast. I'd call it gentle after 7 min or so  :)

Offline Chert

« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2016, 07:11:27 AM »
Thanks for that information.  I will definitely set my heat up a notch early phase.  I've been too gentle with my open flame setup.  I haven't turned above 1.5 kPa. 

Offline HukyGnome

• Solid or Perf: Both - Current Perf
  • Serial Number: 714
  • Charge Weight : 350/454
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2016, 01:58:34 PM »
Congrats to All. I was contestant #3, but in all honesty I never viewed this as a competition. Just a great bunch of folks all trying to find where they can improve. Of course having Tom and crew do the cupping was an opportunity not to pass up.

Thanks for the alog rodraguirre. Will try to see if I can even come close. Still have 5+ pounds to play with, but just might give the Burundi a rest for awhile and try some Ethiopia Yirga Cheffe from SM.

Charlie

Ecclesiastes 7:8  Finishing is better than starting. Patience is better than pride.

Offline unclebenny20

• Serial Number: 959
  • Charge Weight : 350-400
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2016, 02:24:55 PM »

Well, in fact not so gentle, as 2.75 Kpa in my open flame setup is almost the highest I can get (the max I have ever gone is 3.25 Kpa). If you notice the drying phase, with a RoR averaging almost 40 F/sec, and a low TP of 190 F, and total roast time a bit over 9 min, it was in reality a fast roast. I'd call it gentle after 7 min or so  :)

So as a very new huky guy. How does the open flame differ then the IR in heat application.  I guess what would the power be on my IR stove as I roast a Burundi. Also at the middle of the fc u were decreasing power or your power was off. Was your fan all the way up at the end of the roast? Thanks and nice work on the comp. Also thanks to everyone for such a treasure trove of info on this topic.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 03:34:37 PM by edtbjon »
Ben in Vancouver

Offline rodraguirre

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2016, 04:02:44 PM »
How does the open flame differ then the IR in heat application.  I guess what would the power be on my IR stove as I roast a Burundi.

Well, I've never used an IR stove, so I cannot tell from experience, but from what I've read, open flame has a faster "response" than IR. On the other hand, especially with perforated drums, if your flame is too high and gets in contact with the drum (and beans), you'll have problems.

Also at the middle of the fc u were decreasing power or your power was off. Was your fan all the way up at the end of the roast?

I was decreasing (if I'm not wrong I got as low as 0.25 Kpa, you can check that in the .alog file).

The fan was not all the way up - I got it up to 70V (although I consider this a very high airflow setting)

Offline glenho

« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2016, 08:52:46 AM »
Hi, may i know what  the cup value represents?

Offline Chert

« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2016, 09:13:08 AM »
Your question does not in any way reference why you ask.  So my answer may not be what you are after, but I'll try.

There are a variety of cupping scoring systems.  Generally they work out to a maximum of 100 points.  Artisan supports cup grading: Roast>Cup Profile.  That 'default' tab allows you to choose one of the variety of systems, such as Sweet Marias.  An experienced coffee taster will have a reproducible scoring of the various attributes of coffee in the cup.  And in general specialty coffee scores above 85 among experienced cuppers, 90+ coffees are the creme de la creme.  But it is possible to roast coffee out of that specialty grade score range ...

And Artisan produces a so-called spider graphical representation of the cuppers score.

I hope that clarifies.

Offline HukyGnome

• Solid or Perf: Both - Current Perf
  • Serial Number: 714
  • Charge Weight : 350/454
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2016, 10:40:20 AM »
I tried to follow  rodraguirre's winning profile with the Burundi. Came out good, but the Ethopia Yirga Cheffe from SM came out even better. Alog attached, open for comments. Roasts have already improved just by reviewing what you all have done in the 3rd competition.
Ecclesiastes 7:8  Finishing is better than starting. Patience is better than pride.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM