Author Topic: Hank I want to know more about the Anemometer please  (Read 67786 times)

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
Re: Hank I want to know more about the Anemometer please
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 07:00:38 AM »
Forgot to mention Makomo got in touch with me about a twitter post on airflow.

He's using Phidget pressure sensors and a damper position sensor bridging to Artisan without any issues.

If someone is interested, sent him a PM thru HB - MaKoMo or invite him to join Hukyforum  :)

SusanJoM

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 07:06:37 AM »
Exellent excellent excellent.

I am going to order an Anemometer and will loan it to other members if they want to borrow it after I've done my calibrating.

Even with the new gas gauge I did re-marking to make it easier to read.

And I am going to ask Marko (who is already a member of this forum) more about installing that Phidget air gizmo.  I know he has used it with Artisan but I'm not sure he has used it with a HUKY and I'm not sure there is an appropriate place to install it on the HUKY.  I will ask him....

Thanks for all that, Hank

Susa

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 07:28:00 AM »
Susan, my wild guess is to drill/tap the fixed tube on the huky and install a fitting; no problem for the nearest machine shop.  You're going to be measuring negative air pressure so heat should not be an issue.

For the gas gauge, the best bet is to let the "gas repairman" who installs stoves and heaters rig it up with a "T" connecting to the appropriate size rubber tubing coming from the sensor.

SusanJoM

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 07:57:35 AM »
Susan, my wild guess is to drill/tap the fixed tube on the huky and install a fitting; no problem for the nearest machine shop.  You're going to be measuring negative air pressure so heat should not be an issue.

For the gas gauge, the best bet is to let the "gas repairman" who installs stoves and heaters rig it up with a "T" connecting to the appropriate size rubber tubing coming from the sensor.

LOL.
Guess it's time for me to figure out what the @#$%^& "negative air pressure" is, huh?

Also, since I will be using both HUKY's, I will want the air pressure testing to be on an exhaust tube that will be common to both, rather than on the HUKY body itself....

Oh I do love tinkering....:-))))

SusanJoM

Re: Hank I want to know more about the Anenometer please
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 08:10:17 AM »
If you enter wrong info or just miss a data point it's no problem- Marko built in an editor so you can very easily enter the data after the roast is done.

Okay, I've missed something then?
I know you can enter and alter events (charge, fc, drop), but is there a way to enter/change power and fan settings too?

SusanJoM

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 09:48:40 AM »
So, here's what I am imagining for my Phidget empire
Edit:   so no one gets confused I am scratching out this schematic.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 09:31:25 AM by SusanJoM »

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 04:10:01 PM »

LOL.
Guess it's time for me to figure out what the @#$%^& "negative air pressure" is, huh?

Also, since I will be using both HUKY's, I will want the air pressure testing to be on an exhaust tube that will be common to both, rather than on the HUKY body itself....

Oh I do love tinkering....:-))))

Susan, the best location for an air sensor input is between the fan and the drum, before the damper. That's why I thought the fixed pipe with the flange on the roaster might be a good spot. Using the drum faceplate probably won't work due to all the gaps and ventilation holes. On my 800n I was able to record negative air pressure in a similar location with a Dwyer Magnehelic 0-0.5 gauge.

And it depends what kind of tube/fitting you use. A flat fitting would read negative pressure, pitot tube would read positive pressure. The gauges are heat and dirt sensitive so the positive pressure has to be cool and clean. Then there's differential air pressure, which I don't think we need to be concerned with in our application.

What's happening inside the drum, the negative air pressure/flow is the gold standard for this kind of measurement. Giesen has a self adjusting air flow system along with a manual override. This is really clever, as the system gets dirty and airflow slows down, the fan increase speed to compensate. We can just toss out dirty pipes, not the case in a commercial setting with afterburners, stacks, filters, etc.

SusanJoM

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 04:23:09 PM »
That makes perfect sense.
I guess each HUKY body will need its own 1136
http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?product_id=1136

I'll revise my diagram.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 07:53:43 AM by SusanJoM »

SusanJoM

Re: Hank I want to know more about the Anenometer please
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 05:59:33 PM »
If you enter wrong info or just miss a data point it's no problem- Marko built in an editor so you can very easily enter the data after the roast is done.

Okay, I've missed something then?
I know you can enter and alter events (charge, fc, drop), but is there a way to enter/change power and fan settings too?

I think I found the answer to my own question. 

Offline Slayton

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 582
  • J or T : J pipe
  • Charge Weight : 454g
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 10:42:28 PM »
"I think I found the answer to my own question."

I just tried this for my last roast and I'm pretty sure I'm missing something as I entered the information but it isn't showing up on the profile.  Any further info?

Offline Gregr

• Serial Number: 275
  • Charge Weight : 454
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2015, 06:12:23 AM »
I'll give it a try on my next roast. Just tried to do it with an old [saved] profile on my desktop computer and it didn't work.
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

SusanJoM

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 08:35:11 AM by SusanJoM »

SusanJoM

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2015, 10:55:53 AM »

I just tried this for my last roast and I'm pretty sure I'm missing something as I entered the information but it isn't showing up on the profile.  Any further info?

If it helps, I extracted that information from page 9 of this post at H-B
Perhaps there is more to be gleaned there
http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/artisan-version-7-0-t27999-80.html

SusanJoM

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2015, 08:33:46 PM »

I just added air and gas post roast to an .alog file.
I'm guessing these are the two pages of Artisan that enable you to do that.
The first is the same one we already saw from the HB post.
The second is where the fan and the gas markers get defined.
And in the third can see I chose the circle for gas and the diamond for fan.

Edit:  Note that you do have to re-save the profile after you make those additions.  I didn't and mine all went by bye.   Happily I have them in the notes I used to enter them back into the profile. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:02:10 PM by SusanJoM »

Offline Slayton

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 582
  • J or T : J pipe
  • Charge Weight : 454g
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 12:20:50 AM »
Thanks Susan.  I've been playing around with manualy entering events and have figured some of it out but still have glitches.  The steps I've taken are as follows:

From Artisan - Roast - Properties - Events - Add - enter Time, Type and Value
From Artisan - Config -Events -click Show - change Bars to "Value"
                                      Sliders - click what events you want to log, leave everything else as is

From this point, for what I'm doing Artisan shows fan and power settings but it does so square in the middle of the profile, not at at the bottom of the graph as I see others getting.  Not sure what's going on. I tried to post a picture but have come down with a severe case of newbyitis in regards to this forum and can't seem to figure that one out as well.  Any help with both would be appreciated.

My apologies for derailing this thread.  Once I figure out how to post pictures I'll post some profiles to another thread to get some help there because at this point, although after about a dozen roasts I'm getting a better feel for this beautiful, little machine, I still feel like I'm floundering and could use some help.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM