Author Topic: "Dry run" question  (Read 15752 times)

Offline dcupstateNY

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 796
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : TBD
"Dry run" question
« on: October 08, 2015, 12:11:06 PM »
I finally got all my gear set up and wanted to do a "dry run" to make sure all was connected and functioning properly. I decided to do this with everything powered up and running including the IR burner, but without beans i.e. drum was on, but empty. I turned Artisan "ON" and was observing/monitoring ET, BT, and MET when I noticed that BT was always higher than ET by about 11 degrees F. Is this to be expected given that the BT probe is somewhat closer to the burner than the ET probe? Note: I have my Phidget wired with BT at 0G, ET at 1G, MET at 2G.

I love da bean!
HG one, OE Pharos, Lido, Mazzer Mini E TypeB, La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II, La Pavoni EPC8, every brewing device known to mankind ;)

SusanJoM

Re: "Dry run" question
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 12:53:58 PM »
Take a look in  Tools > Extras and see if you might have the Input Filters box checked

Offline dcupstateNY

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 01:04:02 PM »
Take a look in  Tools > Extras and see if you might have the Input Filters box checked

Nope! That was the first thing I checked. If it's truly an issue, gotta be something else.
I love da bean!
HG one, OE Pharos, Lido, Mazzer Mini E TypeB, La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II, La Pavoni EPC8, every brewing device known to mankind ;)

SusanJoM

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 01:07:27 PM »
Oh heck.
Do you have the fan running?

When I start my HUKY with the fan at about 50%, drum turning, stove on, the temps remain with BT below ET below MET until I charge.

Offline dcupstateNY

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 01:31:34 PM »
Oh heck.
Do you have the fan running?

When I start my HUKY with the fan at about 50%, drum turning, stove on, the temps remain with BT below ET below MET until I charge.

Yep! fan was on at 50%. I notice on your graph that BT is tracking higher than ET, right?
I love da bean!

SusanJoM

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 01:44:11 PM »
Oh dear, how funny..  YES.  That is exactly right. 

BT is highest until charge.
Then they reverse...

Sorry. 

Offline Contrabass Bry

• Solid or Perf: Solid, man. Solid.
  • Serial Number: 355
  • J or T : Extended J
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 02:08:58 PM »
To me, it only stands to reason. Look where he exhaust pipe exits the faceplate. Which probe is going to be more impacted by that dynamically funneling stream of air?

Offline dcupstateNY

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 02:29:55 PM »
Oh dear, how funny..  YES.  That is exactly right. 

BT is highest until charge.
Then they reverse...

Sorry.

lol ... too funny! BTW ... noticed this in on the "Artisan Documentation" page. Did this change again since then i.e., does it still apply?

http://coffeetroupe.com/artisandocs/installation/#reverse
I love da bean!

SusanJoM

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 02:46:10 PM »
lol ... too funny! BTW ... noticed this in on the "Artisan Documentation" page. Did this change again since then i.e., does it still apply?

Ummm....I have a hard time keeping track of some of the changes :-(((
But the most recent version of Artisan (and all of the ones I have used to date) definitely read(s) position 1 as BT and 2 as ET and 3 as MET.
To reverse BT and ET you would check that box.   

Edit:  I asked about this on the Artisan User List back in February, (http://lists.mokelbu.de/pipermail/artisan-user/2015-April/000483.html) and to tell you the truth, I have no idea which way they think it's reading, but I'm absolutely sure that my BT T/C goes into 1 and ET T/C goes into 2 and that that box in Tools is not checked, so....I'm sticking to my story even though I think there's something not quite kosher about it all.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 02:55:07 PM by SusanJoM »

Offline dcupstateNY

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 03:07:21 PM »

Ummm....I have a hard time keeping track of some of the changes :-(((
But the most recent version of Artisan (and all of the ones I have used to date) definitely read(s) position 1 as BT and 2 as ET and 3 as MET.
To reverse BT and ET you would check that box.   

Edit:  I asked about this on the Artisan User List back in February, (http://lists.mokelbu.de/pipermail/artisan-user/2015-April/000483.html) and to tell you the truth, I have no idea which way they think it's reading, but I'm absolutely sure that my BT T/C goes into 1 and ET T/C goes into 2 and that that box in Tools is not checked, so....I'm sticking to my story even though I think there's something not quite kosher about it all.

I wonder if it does not apply when using a Phidget? Oh well, I think I feel better now :-\
I love da bean!

SusanJoM

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 03:16:21 PM »
Oh it definitely does.  If you click on that box it will reverse the way the temperatures show up on your graph.  The way I discovered all of this is that somehow/somewhere the box in my Artisan got checked and I was going round the bend trying to figure out why.   

Offline Contrabass Bry

• Solid or Perf: Solid, man. Solid.
  • Serial Number: 355
  • J or T : Extended J
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 04:29:25 PM »
I apologize if my commet appeared flip. Carry on.

Offline dcupstateNY

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 05:42:19 PM »
I apologize if my commet appeared flip. Carry on.

Not flippant at all. I just took it as a rhetorical statement, not requiring a response. I will always welcome, and appreciate any/all feedback.
I love da bean!

Offline Taekwondodo

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 454 g
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 10:36:40 AM »
Below is what my warm up profile looks like. For me MET is always the highest temperature probe. Anyone know why this would be?

SusanJoM

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 10:40:53 AM »
This doesn't answer your question, but if you don't want your delta lines being quite so "in your face", check out this page of your settings.  You can get the curve to be representative but to sit below your roasting curves using this page.

You are the only person so far besides myself who has taken the time to record and post a warm up profile.  The difference may have to do with the fact that I use a perforated drum/slow motor.  It also may have to do with your heat and fan settings, which you didn't specify.  The important part of the warmup is that you have taken the time to get the three temperatures into a steady relationship with each other.  What happens next?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 10:48:12 AM by SusanJoM »

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM