Author Topic: Yet another Artisan release segues into a conversation about the Raspberry Pi  (Read 31487 times)

Offline Tyguy160

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 838
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 400g
Hey all,

Sorry for the delay in getting this document up. I've attached it to this message. If you have any errors that aren't documented in this PDF, reply to this thread and we'll find a way to get them fixed.
Tyler

Offline Gregr

• Serial Number: 275
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 454
The instruction are now in the Artisan and your Huky Downloads section.
Thanks!
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Offline kenneroast

• Solid or Perf: Solid as of Jan'16
  • Serial Number: 604
  • J or T : J pipe
  • Charge Weight : 227g or 454g
Hey all,

Sorry for the delay in getting this document up. I've attached it to this message. If you have any errors that aren't documented in this PDF, reply to this thread and we'll find a way to get them fixed.

Thank you for putting this together. Last night I finally Unboxed the Raspberry PI that's been sitting in my closet for the past couple months. You've taken the guess work out of the equation.

I also started toying around with a transducer (gas pressure sensor). Surprisingly, that was pretty simple to test with the Arduino. I imagine it'll be just as easy with the RaspberryPI. Hoping to feed the gas settings right into Artisan. Next solution to figure out would be airflow.

Offline kenneroast

Seriously, thank you again. Your instructions were great in helping me get things going. I really appreciate you putting this document together for us. Also, kudos to brianz for pointing out some Linux specific steps needed:
https://www.hukyforum.com/index.php?topic=369.0

However, I ran into an issue with enabling the Phidget 1048 that I have. For the record, I'm using Raspberian Jessie (wish I would have opted for the lite version instead). For this particular setup, it looks like there is a need for the libphidget and libusb-dev. Anyone else following this guide with a similar setup to mine, you'll have to add the follow instructions below:

Before compiling the phidget library, I had to run this:

$ sudo apt-get install libusb-dev

I downloaded, extracted, and compiled the Phidget library using this link:
http://www.phidgets.com/docs/OS_-_Linux

(After installing the library) In the archive, I had to copy udev/99-phidgets.rules to /etc/udev/rules.d/99-phidgets.rules. After the rules were added, I rebooted and now my RaspberryPI sees the temperature readings (screenshot attached). :)

Phidget Linux instructions are documented here: http://www.phidgets.com/docs/OS_-_Linux#Setting_udev_Rules

Now to figure out how to get this transducer to play nice with this setup.

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
I will have to try that tomorrow. I'm currently running Artisan as root (via "sudo") on my old Linux box, having tried "everything" to sort that issue. Then I can try my new USB isolator as well, to see if it smooths my jagged RoR curve (while roasting).
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline monkey_lever

• Solid or Perf: Both. Solid Installed
Kenneroast.

Which pressure transducer are you using and how are you connecting it to the gas line.

Thanks.

Offline kenneroast

Kenneroast.

Which pressure transducer are you using and how are you connecting it to the gas line.

Thanks.

I'm toying around with this one right now:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZR4BI4Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

The price was appealing for the sake of quickly being able to prototype the Artisan integration. As for the accuracy and longevity of the pressure sensor, I'm not confident it's the best choice. Likely requires some software fixes to improve accuracy. There is a guy in the comments that uses this sensor on his car though. Seems potentially safe enough with proper care.

I haven't hooked it up to Mr. Li's burner (yet). There are some adapter fittings that I need before that can happen (1/8" NPT to 1/4" NPT). The only test I was able to do was with an Arduino, and that was a breeze. I neglected to notice the PI's GPIO has no analog inputs, and the inputs max out at 3V. Parts are on the way to adapt it for the PI.

From the looks of it, I'll likely piggy back on Artisan's device type 'program' for the pressure measurements. Artisan can be setup to capture stdout / printout from any program, and that's not difficult to code.

Offline brew

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 897
  • Charge Weight : 400g

(After installing the library) In the archive, I had to copy udev/99-phidgets.rules to /etc/udev/rules.d/99-phidgets.rules. After the rules were added, I rebooted

I know this is an older post but it helped me out.  It took me awhile to find out what was going on.  I couldn't read the probes via artisan even when running as root but when I added the udev rules everything just worked!   The phidget instructions just mention "if you don't want to sudo as root".  Weird...anyway it's working now and maybe the info will help the next person.
"More than half of the accident-involved motorcycle riders had less than 5 months experience on the accident motorcycle, although the total street riding experience was almost 3 years. Motorcycle riders with dirt bike experience are significantly underrepresented in the accident data" -Hurt Report

Offline garethahrens

• Solid or Perf: solid
  • J or T : t
Thanks so much for the pdf, finally got artisan running on my pi 2. Having troubles getting my amprobe tmd-56 to talk to artisan now though. I'm sure it just some software I need to install, but I'm a bit stuck. Anyone have any advice?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 12:33:53 PM by garethahrens »

Offline BorgChaubey

I want to know that what is there in the new release?
What is the role of the Raspberry Pi here?
I am working with the Raspberry Pi and Huky, can i use them together for the control purpose?

circuit board fabrication
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 02:33:31 PM by BorgChaubey »

Offline AK

• Serial Number: 1073
  • Charge Weight : 350g
Another SoCal Member
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2016, 10:58:22 AM »
Hello from another SoCal member!

I just found and joined the forum recently, right after I placed my order last week.

For reference, here's what I requested:

Huky 500T
Infrared Stove (Propane)
Exhaust hood
MET Probe
Extra tray
Extra fan
Extra funnel
Extra drum (solid)
Extra motor set (72 RPM)

I plan to use the above configuration with the Phidgets 1048 w/ Artisan (and maybe try out Roastmaster as well).  I am relatively new to roasting, so looking forward to learning from the experts on this forum.  I do have an extensive background in computers, so am especially looking forward to the technology-related side of roasting as well.

So as I anxiously wait for my Huky to arrive, I will be scanning through the various topics so I can jump in and start roasting right away!

Offline LTB

• Solid or Perf: Both (solid on)
  • Serial Number: 1003
  • Charge Weight : 460 gr
Re: Another SoCal Member
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2016, 12:53:06 AM »
I don't know what a SoCal is, but welcome here !

Offline thusband

• Serial Number: 712
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : Varies
Re: Another SoCal Member
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2016, 02:14:27 PM »
Short for Southern California.

And welcome SoCal from NorCal.

Offline AK

Huky Arrives!
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2016, 08:22:13 AM »

My Huky was shipped out on June 28th, and arrived on July 1st!

I finally got around to opening it last night, and here's how it was packaged:

[

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 08:41:17 AM by AK »

Offline AK

Raspberry PI + Artisan + Phidget 1048
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2016, 08:39:38 AM »
So I decided to use RPi to run Artisan with the Phidget 1048 for logging.  It was pretty straight-forward, so I managed to get this all working in half a day.

Here's a screen-shot of Artisan running on Raspbian Jessie.  I am displaying this using VNC on my work iMac.  I have a 5" touch screen that I may try and use locally, or may decide to just use a regular monitor + keyboard/mouse.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM