Author Topic: Yet another Artisan release segues into a conversation about the Raspberry Pi  (Read 31490 times)

Offline thusband

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 712
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : Varies
Re: Another SoCal Member
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2016, 10:17:14 AM »
Using a Raspberry Pi sounds like a great idea.  I'm always looking for Pi projects.

Offline coffeesnob

Re: Raspberry PI + Artisan + Phidget 1048
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2016, 10:27:28 PM »
So I decided to use RPi to run Artisan with the Phidget 1048 for logging.  It was pretty straight-forward, so I managed to get this all working in half a day.

So, I'm new to the RPi, but I'm struggling with the setup of Artisan, and haven't even gotten to the Phidget setup yet. I read the instructions PDF here on the forum, but I haven't been able to get the program to install. I continue to need Python modules and am struggling getting them installed and working. I am now trying 0.9.9, so if there's any help you can offer, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Offline AK

• Serial Number: 1073
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 350g
Re: Raspberry PI + Artisan + Phidget 1048
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2016, 04:16:13 PM »
So I decided to use RPi to run Artisan with the Phidget 1048 for logging.  It was pretty straight-forward, so I managed to get this all working in half a day.

So, I'm new to the RPi, but I'm struggling with the setup of Artisan, and haven't even gotten to the Phidget setup yet. I read the instructions PDF here on the forum, but I haven't been able to get the program to install. I continue to need Python modules and am struggling getting them installed and working. I am now trying 0.9.9, so if there's any help you can offer, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

I don't recall if I had to do anything in addition to what the PDF had here in the Downloads section, but don't remember.  Let me know what kind of errors you're getting, and I can try and help you.  You should probably private message me so it doesn't clutter up the forum.

The Phidgets setup is a whole nuther story...  :o

Offline coffeesnob

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2016, 09:32:04 AM »
Let me know what kind of errors you're getting, and I can try and help you.  You should probably private message me so it doesn't clutter up the forum.

I'll probably do that over the weekend. The fact that I've been working on getting this up and running for the last week (~24 hours) means that you know what you're doing far better than me. It just seems like I keep needing to install Python modules and can't get the "./artisan.py" to just run. It really makes me appreciate what goes on in the processors for more out of the box computer systems, <double-click><Install?><Yes.><Do you want to run the program now?><Yes.><Done.>

Offline avid

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2016, 04:10:47 PM »
Lurking newish member here!  Haven't purchased my Huky yet but definitely wanting to go Phidgets and Raspberry Pi.  I guess geeks start with the gear/software and move on from there.   :-[ 
Just decided on RPI yesterday and spent several hours studying and bingo here is this thread.  I wouldn't be afraid to keep carrying on with your discussion because it is YOUR introduction. But that's just me.  Used to be a Linux user in the early days.  Funny looking over all the information for RPI it brings back memories.  I intend to run headless as well. Unless gearitis gets the best of me and I purchase the touchscreen. 

I am an RVer and also roast outside with my Behmor at home so the whole setup has to be mobile.  I won't be able to get started working on RPI and phidgets for a couple of weeks at least.  But thanks for bringing up the subject.  My DW hasn't quite given the go ahead on the Huky but I replaced the monitor on her Macbook Retina this week and saved a bundle of money.  I think she is kindly disposed at the moment.    8)

Offline AK

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2016, 04:40:22 PM »

So ok...we can continue the discussion here I suppose, and perhaps it might become useful for someone else.

I feel very comfortable with Linux - just new to RPi-specific stuff, but it's pretty easy to figure out.  I honestly don't recall doing much outside the install docs, but very likely could've, and just don't recall. 

@avid: Only problem with going headless is the latency between your GUI system that you'll display Artisan with, and your RPi server.  I thought about this myself initially, only because I didn't have a proper monitor (I had a 7" touchscreen), but ultimately, I realized I needed to have a large enoughmonitor to watch during the roast.  If you don't care about the cost, and have enough room for the monitor/mouse or touchpad, I would suggest going that route. 

Also, if you guys get desperate enough, I can just make my disk image available for you to download, and you can just boot off that.  Just took a look, and it's around 4.5G, but probably can trim it down a bit, since I wasn't worried about watching disk usage while I setup things.

Offline coffeesnob

So...I'm not getting Artisan to install/run on my Raspberry Pi. I'm completely new to RPi, so forgive me for being green. I cannot for the life of me get the matplotlib module installed/accepted by artisan.py. Please see my screenshot. Can anyone point me to some helpful hints and tips.

I'm trying to run Artisan 0.9.9, but I had the same problem with 0.9.8.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 09:37:26 PM by coffeesnob »

Offline avid

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2016, 07:02:21 PM »
AK,

Maybe you are correct in thinking that the thread should be continued in a sub-forum where others interested in Raspberry Pi will find it.  I don't see anyway to tag threads here but perhaps a mod could help with that.   

Latency- hadn't really thought about that given the quantum speed gains we have made in the last decade.  How much time are we talking about?  Then again, in a game like coffee roasting, where a few seconds can make the difference between success and failure it could be a big issue.  Thank for pointing it out.

Offline avid

Just wanted to point out that there is a new member and new Huky owner known as AK who is running RPi and Phidgets.  His post is in the introductions forum, "Another SoCal member." 

Offline coffeesnob

8)

Got it all running!

Maybe I'll do a post in the next few days of the steps for some of the less technically inclined.

Offline jeffdt

• Serial Number: 1096
I've never used the RPi but have been really curious about it for a long time. I would love to hear your thoughts on it after using it for a little while.

The main things I was wondering were whether artisan and frequent thermocouple sampling would tax the CPU too much or the RPi is plenty powerful to handle it. Would also love to know which model of the RPi you're using, I understand there's a few on offer.

Main reason I want to know is I'm getting sick of unplugging and moving my nicer laptop every time I want to roast. I would love to have a cheap dedicated machine for roasting only  ;D

Offline AK

I haven't done too many roasts yet with this setup, but my initial impression is that it's a bit more sluggish than I'd like it to be.  A couple times, after hitting start, it crashed.  On my next roast, I'll monitor the CPU to get a better idea of its performance.

Offline AK

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2016, 02:19:57 PM »
I guess re the latency, it doesn't matter as long as you have a good wireless/ethernet connection.  I mostly wanted a good sized display because I just couldn't see anything on a 7" touchscreen.  Also, my other option in using a laptop wasn't much better, plus the monitor was only $80 brand new (you could probably find a decent used one with HDMI output for ~$50). 

Every once in a while, I'll log in remotely (from work or my living room) to look at some previous data, so access my RPi server via VNC.  Once I setup Onecloud, I'll just open up the logfiles with a local client, so won't need to worry about bandwidth or latency issues.

Offline Gregr

• Serial Number: 275
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 454
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2016, 07:20:16 PM »
Hi guys,
One thought is to merge this thread with the "Yet another Artisan release segues into a conversation about the Raspberry Pi" thread (here: https://www.hukyforum.com/index.php/topic,573.0.html).
Now that the topic is mainly about R Pi it should probably be in the Data Logging forum anyways. Does that work for you? We can also put a link to the thread in the Resources>>Artisan etc. section.

Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Offline AK

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2016, 07:32:38 PM »
Hi guys,
One thought is to merge this thread with the "Yet another Artisan release segues into a conversation about the Raspberry Pi" thread (here: https://www.hukyforum.com/index.php/topic,573.0.html).
Now that the topic is mainly about R Pi it should probably be in the Data Logging forum anyways. Does that work for you? We can also put a link to the thread in the Resources>>Artisan etc. section.

Sure - sounds great!

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM