Author Topic: Show your roasting setup/roast cart  (Read 102482 times)

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
Re: Show your roasting setup/roast cart
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2015, 09:57:43 PM »
Nice!  8)

Offline dcupstateNY

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 796
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : TBD
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2015, 10:27:04 AM »
Here's my new roasting setup. I just built this new workbench with a nook for my Huky. I used my trusty hole saw set to cut out a hole for the exhaust duct (I installed a new vent on the garage wall so the duct can be permanently installed now)

Daave ... sweet setup! What exactly did you use for your vent?
I love da bean!
HG one, OE Pharos, Lido, Mazzer Mini E TypeB, La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II, La Pavoni EPC8, every brewing device known to mankind ;)

Offline Daave

• Serial Number: 704
  • Charge Weight : 350
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2015, 11:11:38 AM »
Daave ... sweet setup! What exactly did you use for your vent?

This is my vent:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#1773k61/=zwr0oa

I used these hole saw sets (1st one for the interior garage wall & workbench wood, 2nd one for my exterior stucco):
http://www.harborfreight.com/34-in-5-in-carbon-steel-hole-saw-set-18-pc-69073.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-14-in-3-14-in-carbide-grit-hole-saw-assorted-set-9-pc-68116.html

Then I have a 3" cheap dryer duct from Home Depot connected to both ends with some good foil tape.

Also, I'd highly recommend these grommets (I bought these):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400280793435

The 2" & 3" grommets have the same hole opening size, and it's plenty big to fit the stock Huky gas tube. It helps keep things really clean up on top.

Offline dcupstateNY

• Serial Number: 796
  • Charge Weight : TBD
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2015, 11:45:02 AM »
Excellent! Thanks, Daave!!
I love da bean!
HG one, OE Pharos, Lido, Mazzer Mini E TypeB, La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II, La Pavoni EPC8, every brewing device known to mankind ;)

Offline Curtis Martin

• Serial Number: 789
  • Charge Weight : 400
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2015, 10:31:54 AM »
I wanted to post another picture and see about "fishing" for any other people that might not have posted their setup yet! I love seeing other people's design!

Offline Daave

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2015, 11:58:09 AM »
Nice job. How's that control panel working out for you? What do all of the switches and knobs do again?

Is that a cyclone I see? What model is that, and how well is it working out for you?

And this looks like you're indoors when you roast. I know that my garage smells like roasted coffee for a while after roasting. Does this setup make your whole house smell awesome, or does your exhaust setup help contain it somewhat?

Offline Curtis Martin

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 12:03:54 PM »
Nice job. How's that control panel working out for you? What do all of the switches and knobs do again?

I have 5 switches.
- Drum
- Exhaust (huky)
- Bean Cooling Fan
- Window Exhaust
- Lights
- Vari-Speed for Huky exhaust fan
- Future holes for gas pressure gauge and needle valve

The panel works AMAZING. I will NEVER go back to operating without one!

Is that a cyclone I see? What model is that, and how well is it working out for you?

Sadly, I do not have a cyclone filter. I am really heavily considering getting or making one. I roast a lot quiet frequently so I'd like to not have to imply the chaff pan every time.

And this looks like you're indoors when you roast. I know that my garage smells like roasted coffee for a while after roasting. Does this setup make your whole house smell awesome, or does your exhaust setup help contain it somewhat?

I am indoors when I roast. I'd say the room smells heavenly but my whole house does not. I say that but to get a true answer I'd have to ask a guest that comes over lol. As long as I don't forget to empty the chaff tray it does not smell too bad. lol when I forget to do that it smells a bit stronger.

Offline Curtis Martin

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2015, 09:16:58 AM »
I know I keep posting my pictures of my setup. But I just got some new HDR Photography software and because I love coffee and photography I had to get a picture!

Photography + Coffee roasting + early 20's = (Must be a nerd)

Not perfect by any means, lots of fingerprints, reflections, and dust. But kinda cool!

Offline Daave

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2015, 10:47:01 AM »
Is your Variac just attached behind the knob thing on your box, or did you actually extend the knob somehow? If you extended it, I'd be interested to know how you did that.

Offline Curtis Martin

Offline rawman

• Solid or Perf: Starting with perforated but I have a solid as well
  • Serial Number: 842
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2015, 05:38:46 PM »
I think it's more along the lines of a light dimmer.

http://www.amazon.com/KB-Electronics-8811014-Variable-K177-1008/dp/B000F9FCR2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1448736650&sr=8-2&keywords=vari-speed

Not quite a light dimmer, but similar.  It's actually a dimmer specifically designed for controlling the speed of AC motors.  I have something similar:
http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/model_6616.htm.  In my opinion the motor dimmers should last longer and be better for the motor than a lamp dimmer.  I see that many people use the lamp dimmers and they work fine, but I prefer to use an actual motor controller.  Here is a video demo of mine:
https://rawman.smugmug.com/Huky500/n-DMscK8/i-xgJLX74/A

Offline easygene

• Solid or Perf: perforated
  • Serial Number: 830
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2015, 06:02:16 AM »
Daave said:
T
he 2" & 3" grommets have the same hole opening size, and it's plenty big to fit the stock Huky gas tube. It helps keep things really clean up on top.

Starting the process here of figuring out a wheeled roasting cart.  Naturally the propane tank will reside on a lower shelf, probably covered on three sides with holes for tubing.  And one of the priorities is to keep it as clean as possible up on top.

Daave, is it possible to have a pic of your finished set-up?

The only one on HF that I can see that went for a rolling cart was MJ5150 but no pics of his final design.  I'm going nuts roasting every other day from the back deck during nice weather, to the carport when its raining, to the utility room when its below 57 degrees.

Have to go with a wooden design to make it compact enough to zip thru doorways easily and accomodate Phidget, etc.
Any ideas appreciated.  Thanks

Offline Daave

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2015, 09:20:20 AM »
Daave, is it possible to have a pic of your finished set-up?

I posted that earlier in this thread here:
https://www.hukyforum.com/index.php/topic,61.msg6559.html#msg6559

Did you want any specific close-up shots or other angles? Do you have any questions about what I did as well?

Offline easygene

• Solid or Perf: perforated
  • Serial Number: 830
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2015, 12:03:49 PM »
Daave above:

Did you want any specific close-up shots or other angles? Do you have any questions about what I did as well?

First of all went back and read your thread about routing cables and hoses.  Have the same type vent hose as yours but yours seems so much more neatly mounted coming out of the exhaust.  That is 3" dryer vent hose, is it not, that you reduced to fit the 2" Huky exhaust nozzle?

Could you post a pic of how you used your black plastic grommets please.  If I mount a fidget below lip of a cart would definitely need something like those to route wiring through after using hole saw.  Not to mention propane hoses, etc.

Tomc shows a nice metal cart over at HB but its only 17 5/8" wide and no way to mount propane in the bottom.  And it is unnecessarily scissor type with a superfluous hydraulic jack   Plus need small pneumatic tires instead of hard plastic ones that are shown.
Thanks

Offline Daave

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2015, 12:29:58 PM »
Here's a few close-up pictures. Let me know if you need any more.

Yeah, that's a 3" dryer vent hose. I just used a generous amount of foil tape to hook it up to the 2.5" Huky exhaust nozzle. It's really not that much bigger, so it's easy to just attach it. I got that idea from Susan. For the 3" dryer hose hole, I used a 3.5" hole saw. It fit really easily down that hole, and you'll notice in my close up picture that the hole is just a little larger than the hose.

Those extra cables dangling off of my computer monitor are for hooking up other computers I might be working on. It has network, sound, and a few different video cables. This is my multi-purpose workbench after all :)

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM