Author Topic: My Huky Cart Build  (Read 26566 times)

Offline JerryB

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 914
  • J or T : T
Re: My Huky Cart Build
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2016, 08:50:45 AM »
Hello Everyone,
   I have missed you guys!  I have missed scanning over everyone's posts and keeping up with everyone with their Hukys.  Work has been crazy busy and then we keep looking for our new house, every chance that appears to be promising.
   However, we have also made some progress on our Huky Cart. These rear wheels were the first that I have ever built from the ground up (parts pictured in my last post).  Let me just say, "Respect Your Bike-Wheel Builders".  I bet I have 16 hours in these dang things.  Yes, I know, you get better at building them with practice.
   The front wheels were a total different story.  I couldn't find Casters with any wheels that I wanted therefore I ended up making these.  First I purchased a Balance Bike to get my wheels from.  It was much cheaper to do that than to buy Tires, Wheels, & Tubes separately.  I purchased some Casters from a local supplier and chose some a little on the smaller size to minimize bulkiness and weight.  I then had to machine the forks to be narrower and welded on some extensions to accommodate my 12" Bike Wheels.
   Next I mounted my Vent Bowl so I could design my Exhaust placement from there.  I know everyone will notice the elbow coming out of my Vent Bowl is not what comes from theirs.  I cut a stainless 90° elbow to make this bend so it would drop down into my Cart.  Then we Tig welded it on, in place of the short straight piece that came on the bowl.  I used short pieces of Wire Ties to strap down each leg of the bowl to the top of the cart.
   I then measured out where the Exhaust would come out of the engine compartment and where I wanted the Stack to be.  And I must admit, I had a lot of luck on this one. We welded the complete pipe assembly and polished the pipe before we figured out exactly how and where we were going to mount it.  Remember all those pieces of tubing that we have in the Frame?  Well it turned out that the wide ones were exactly in the correct place to fasten our extra long pipe clamps to.  This gives great strength in holding the pipe on.  You can grab the pipe and jerk it all you want and it doesn't budge without taking the cart with it.  Oh yeah, polishing the rough surface on the pipe to shine like the Huky was a TOTAL B***H!  We ended up Wet Sanding it starting with 220 grit, 320, 400, then 600 grit before buffing it with rouge and a buffing pad on a welding grinder.  My mussels ached for two days after this!
   Here is a picture of it up to this point. I'm now starting on the Dashboard (control panel) and it's not working out as I had first planed.  I'm on Plan "C" now.  I guess I could just let you think that everything turns out perfect and I'm a genius, but it doesn't and I'm not.  Stay tuned, we are still working on it.
   I want to give some credit to someone that helped me out on Tig welding the Exhaust.  Remember, all my tools are in storage because we are moving.  So I turned to a fantastic welder that I worked alongside with a few years (7) ago.  SHE is now teaching welding classes at one of the high schools nearby.  She was on spring break and worked on it while letting a student finish up an assignment. Thanks Denise, once again you did a fantastic job!
Cheers!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:04:21 AM by JerryB »

Offline Crzyworm623

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 958
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2016, 10:53:07 AM »
Wow that is really impressive and looks great.

Offline LTB

• Solid or Perf: Both (solid on)
  • Serial Number: 1003
  • Charge Weight : 460 gr
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2016, 05:49:47 AM »
Great job ! Sounds very beautiful, is it practice tu use ? Do you have some picture of the set in work order ?

Offline JerryB

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 914
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2016, 06:45:44 AM »
Do you have some picture of the set in work order ?

Hello LTB,
I have not finished setting things up on the cart.  I am working on the Control Panel and ran into some issues trying to get it set up the way I had envisioned.  On of my biggest problems is that we are still living in our camper trailer as we try to find our new house.  There isn't much room to work on it at home and therefore I stay late at my work, to work on our cart. Progress is slow but it's coming along quite well.

Thanks for your comments!
Cheers

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM