Author Topic: Transducer/Pressure sensors  (Read 8667 times)

Offline kenneroast

• Solid or Perf: Solid as of Jan'16
  • Serial Number: 604
  • J or T : J pipe
  • Charge Weight : 227g or 454g
Transducer/Pressure sensors
« on: February 09, 2016, 09:33:02 PM »
I've been working on this modification on and off for my Huky. Before we received our roaster, I started looking into ways to graph the gas and airflow settings in Artisan. I'm well aware that Artisan can be configured with buttons that will annotate the final graph with heat and air settings, but I want more than that. Hopefully bringing this out into the open will inspire me to pick up where I left off.

Here are some things I acquired for the project. I'm not 100% sure which pieces will be used in the final build, but it's a start.

• RapsberryPI starter kit
  • Arduino starter kit
  • Automotive grade transducer (pressure sensor)
  • Soldering iron and accessories
  • Various electronic resistors (came in a bundle with more than I'll ever use)

Currently I'm using a Phidget 1048 to plot thermocouples. I've been entertaining the idea of picking up one of the TC4 shield kits and extending it to account for the transducer that I want to use for the gas pressure readings.

I've been able to get readings from the pressure sensor on both the Arduino and RapsberryPI. The Arduino was more straight forward than the RaspberryPI since the entire system is 5V. RaspberryPI's bus wants to take readings from 3V components and required some additional parts. Wasn't bad to get started on a bread board.

I have a couple of ideas for exhaust airflow. One idea would require tapping into the beautiful Huky piping (Marko's method). Another idea would be to setup some kind of current/voltage reading on the fan.

There are others that I know want this same exact functionality with their roasting process. If there is anyone else that would like to team up and go down this path with me, all aboard. ;)

Offline Daave

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 704
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 350
Re: Transducer/Pressure sensors
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 07:27:20 AM »
I'm not a programmer, but I have no fear about messing around with my devices and tinkering with a Pi. I have a Pi 2 and I'm interested in getting this type of information automatically logged.

Let me know if I can do anything to help.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM