Author Topic: How is your roasting business coming along?  (Read 17246 times)

Offline Turboner

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 962
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 350 or 454
How is your roasting business coming along?
« on: April 16, 2016, 06:27:28 PM »
Hello all huky-ntrepreneurs!

Just wanted to know how your roasting business is coming along. Waiting for the permits and licenses took a little bit of wind out of my sails, but now that I have them and finished the food handler class, I am ready to roast-n-roll. 

Offline thusband

• Serial Number: 712
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : Varies
Re: How is your roasting business coming along?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 07:15:56 AM »
I considered a roasting business but thought it might not be practical with the Huky.  Roasting 1lb at time would limit the size of your customer base wouldn't it?  If you're roasting out of your home are permits and licenses required?

Offline Turboner

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 08:53:07 AM »
You are correct about the Huky regarding commercial roasting, I'm not sure how others do it, but for me this is just something on the side (selling to friends, family and neighbors). When it comes to permits and licenses to sell and prepare dry goods from home in CA, you will need a Cottage Food Operators permit (A or B) and a Business Tax Registration (this is what they call a Business License in LA). The only thing about the CFO permit is that you have a gross annual sales limit of $50,000 (in California at least). I am able to roast about 3 lbs/hr, so doing the math, for someone who really wants to get to that 50K you will have to roast about 7-9 lbs of coffee (about 2-3 hrs) everyday of the year using a HUKY at around $15 per 12 oz or 16 oz bag.

Offline Turboner

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 09:00:10 AM »
By the way, the CFO permit is using your existing home kitchen only. If you plan to roast from your garage, the requirements are completely different.

Offline thusband

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 09:05:03 AM »
Good information.  I think I'll look into it.  Many thanks.

Offline brew

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 897
  • Charge Weight : 400g
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 11:15:55 AM »
By the way, the CFO permit is using your existing home kitchen only. If you plan to roast from your garage, the requirements are completely different.

How do you even find out what the rules and regs are?  I wouldn't know where to start.
"More than half of the accident-involved motorcycle riders had less than 5 months experience on the accident motorcycle, although the total street riding experience was almost 3 years. Motorcycle riders with dirt bike experience are significantly underrepresented in the accident data" -Hurt Report

Offline thusband

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 12:13:11 PM »
I read this but it doesn't talk about using your garage.
http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/pages/fdbcottagefood.aspx
I've searched but can't find anything about roasting in an attached garage in California.

I'd be looking at a class A permit

@brew  Google "tennessee cottage food law".  I see some stuff there but don't know if it talks about garages.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 12:17:23 PM by thusband »

Offline brew

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 897
  • Charge Weight : 400g
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 12:42:44 PM »
Ah..so the laws in Tenn are pretty lax if you do direct sales (farmers market, flea market) for dry coffee but not brewed coffee.  You can't do mail sales unless you have a domestic kitchen permit.  http://share.tn.gov/sos/rules/0080/0080-04/0080-04-11.pdf

"More than half of the accident-involved motorcycle riders had less than 5 months experience on the accident motorcycle, although the total street riding experience was almost 3 years. Motorcycle riders with dirt bike experience are significantly underrepresented in the accident data" -Hurt Report

Offline Turboner

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 12:57:34 PM »
For garage roasting, you will need to install a certified commercial kitchen. This means installing a 3 compartment sink, running hot water, and annual inspections. Check with your Department of Health what they require for garage roasting.

Offline thusband

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »
For garage roasting, you will need to install a certified commercial kitchen. This means installing a 3 compartment sink, running hot water, and annual inspections. Check with your Department of Health what they require for garage roasting.
Wow, that seems like overkill.  Who uses water in their roasting?  I'll contact the local folks.

Thanks!

Offline Turboner

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 06:30:17 PM »
I believe the water is for equipment/utensil cleaning and hand washing, which they require separate sinks for each.

Let me know what they tell you, the requirements differ from city to city. Coffee is somewhat in that gray area where it isn't exactly a Food, but since it's a consumable, some cities (larger ones) err on the side of caution and lump it along with cooked and baked goods.

Offline Taekwondodo

• Charge Weight : 454 g
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 06:41:11 AM »
Similar to lots of folks here, I've been looking into a really small scale business - mostly family/friends. But, I'd like to have a website and sell online some as well. So I've been looking into getting all the correct certifications and inspections. Here's what I've found for the State of North Carolina:

- Roasting and selling dry coffee from home or on the web is included in NCDA's home processing program, which requires compliance with GMP.
-The main things you need to comply with if roasting is done in a house (not shed or garage etc.) are: No pets in the home ever, running hot and cold water, clean roasting area, clean bathroom with hand towels, all roasting materials and equipment separated from non business things (was told this could be as simple as a separate closet or fridge shelf), city water or well water tested for coliforms within 1 year.
-If all that is in place, you have to complete an application to have an inspector come out to your home. The application is not very difficult.

I was at the point of submitting the application when I learned you also need your specific town to allow roasting from home, so I started looking into that too. The town's requirements are less clear, and at this point I am unsure if they will allow it. They require an application as well, but have said they will only allow it if "No fumes escape the home". I live in "Suburbia" so I'm sure this is to avoid annoying neighbors, but it is a bit frustrating as roasting absolutely necessitates "fumes" escaping, even if those fumes are just a small amount of coffee scented smoke.

I think the take away is that it is a challenge to fully comply with all regulations, and it will be different for every country/State/County/Town/HOA. I hope that is helpful to someone :)

Offline thusband

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 08:32:07 AM »
I believe the water is for equipment/utensil cleaning and hand washing, which they require separate sinks for each.

Let me know what they tell you, the requirements differ from city to city. Coffee is somewhat in that gray area where it isn't exactly a Food, but since it's a consumable, some cities (larger ones) err on the side of caution and lump it along with cooked and baked goods.
I got a reply from the California Dept. of Public Health.  They said, "Cottage Food Operations are required to process food in the home kitchen of their primary residence, therefore, a garage would not a permissible location to make/roast the coffee as a CFO.

To obtain a CFO permit you would need to contact your local county Environmental Health Services agency."

I guess it's a nonstarter.

Offline Turboner

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 08:58:47 AM »
There are other permits that will allow you to roast in your garage without any sales limit. The CFO permit is only for persons that want to have a small scale business w/o getting into other regulatory requirements by the Dep of Public Health, Dep of Labor, AQMD, etc.

Offline thusband

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 09:16:11 AM »
I just sent a follow up question to the reply from Dept of Public Health asking if it's possible to garage roast with a permit from another govmt agency outside CFO.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM