Author Topic: Buying for Australia  (Read 19743 times)

Offline Agrajag

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • J or T : J
Buying for Australia
« on: April 17, 2016, 03:24:10 PM »
G'day, I've been doing a fair bit of research for my next roaster (currently using behmor) and the Huky is currently high up there, looks like a great machine.

Are there any fellow Aussies here? Just wondering what the shipping cost might be, and also if you got charged GST on the way in and what the process for that is.

Also, propane or butane? I've seen both around, not sure which is easiest/best?

Offline brew

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 897
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 400g
Re: Buying for Australia
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 03:43:56 PM »
"More than half of the accident-involved motorcycle riders had less than 5 months experience on the accident motorcycle, although the total street riding experience was almost 3 years. Motorcycle riders with dirt bike experience are significantly underrepresented in the accident data" -Hurt Report

Offline LordCthaeh

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 01:41:16 AM »
Fellow Australian here. I am considering selling off my Huky and downsizing to something like a Quest M3. If you are interested in buying a second hand (1 year old) solid drum/fast motor Huky, message me and maybe we can arrange something.

Offline Gahwa

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 05:40:45 AM »
Hello and welcome,

I am just chiming in re the butane stove. As I struggled to find a lot of info about it.

Most people would go for propane for many reasons, but an easy one is that with propane you can go through loads of roasts before you have to refill it.

Myself, on the other hand, preferred the butane for safety reasons. At first, I was a skeptic, but after it arrived it works smoothly and nicely. I have done now about 4 roasts from 1 bottle of 250g, and I can feel there is some more gas in it. My roast batches were 250g each.

Good luck with your purchase.

Offline jarnold

• Solid or Perf: perforated
  • Serial Number: 864
  • Charge Weight : 500g
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 06:06:08 AM »
LordCthaeh I would be interested in your huky please PM me if you have made up your mind in parting with it.

Agrajag I had to pay GST And a customs broker this is the case if you are importing anything over 1000 AUD and shipping is included in the total price that said it is still worth it
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 06:08:13 AM by jarnold »

Offline Agrajag

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 11:34:51 PM »
Thanks for the help guys, I have ended up being the owner of LordCthaeh's huky. Can't wait to get roasting. I have cast iron burner that will do for the moment but am probably going to order a propane IR stove from Mr Li that I can hook up to our standard 9kg LPG (bbq style) bottles. Has anyone gone down this route and what extra bits did you need to buy? Regulator/other fittings?

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 04:01:48 AM »
Thanks for the help guys, I have ended up being the owner of LordCthaeh's huky. Can't wait to get roasting. I have cast iron burner that will do for the moment but am probably going to order a propane IR stove from Mr Li that I can hook up to our standard 9kg LPG (bbq style) bottles. Has anyone gone down this route and what extra bits did you need to buy? Regulator/other fittings?
You only need a hose and a standard low pressure regulator (somewhere in the 30-50 mBar region), if you order the IR burner with a barbed hose connector. If you want it to be more "professional", you can order e.g. a 1/4" connector instead and get a corresponding hose and regulator connection. That will make the whole line threaded instead of the "cheapish" barbed connection type. (I've done the cheap route for 1 1/2 years now, without any problems.)
About the regulator, in Sweden the standard ones are 30mBar which is just a tad on the low side for roasting full 500g charges. 40-50mBar is just perfect though. (I tried to find what the typical cheap bbq LPG regulator was rated at but it was difficult to find. :( I guess that e.g 37mBar is typical, which then is exactly what you need, i.e just that little bit above 30mbar.)
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline Agrajag

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 04:41:12 AM »
Thanks for the info. It seems that all our standard gas appliance regulators are 2.75kPa which googling tells me is only 27mBar? Seems strange because this can handle a pretty big BBQ. Also I'm a bit confused about the figures because in the "huky specification reference" thread it says "Flow Capacity: 1.5 kg/hr" but my bbq regulator says 2kg/h. Will have to do a bit more research, all the regulators I can find online in Australia are 2.75kPa, not sure what the difference is between these figures.

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 04:44:10 PM »
Well, unless you are planning to roast full 500gram charges all the time, that regulator should do the trick. Most of us here seem to have found that the "sweet spot" of the roaster is around 400grams anyhow and for that the 27-30 mBar regulator should do it. I did a couple of 400g roasts last week on my perforated drum setup and never got beyond 2.5 kPa.
For comparison I do use a "normal" 30mBar regulator for my BBQ which is a real gas guzzler. I used the same tank which I used for my Huky and the BBQ sucked it up in notime at all. Had I had those kind of burners under the Huky I guess I could have completed a roast in say 4 minutes total! (A 4 minute roast is a very bad idea, but just for reference.)
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

SusanJoM

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 05:13:59 PM »
Roasting 454 grams seems to be the "sweet spot" for my HUKY (perforated drum, slow motor)
I usually crank the gas higher (4+ kPa??) than my current gauge measures (3.75 kPa) for at  least the first 4-5 minutes of the roast.  When I chose that gauge I thought I would never use more gas than that.  Silly me.

The message:  don't limit what you can do by underestimating your future needs.

Offline Agrajag

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 05:24:33 PM »
Thanks. I'd like to see if it's possible to use the regulator that Mr Li provides, can someone who has that tell me exactly what kind of connection it has on the input side? In Australia we use POL connections to our LPG tanks, I can find a POL to 1/4 BSP adaptor (e.g. http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Primus-POL-to-1-4-BSP-Adaptor.aspx?pid=300512#Recommendations) but not much else. Also I assume he provides the hose to go to the stove from the regulator?

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 08:32:11 PM »
That looks like what we use in the US and the Taiwan tank fitting although different is working for most of us. The regulator ships with a rubber hose and clamps. The advantage of the Taiwan regulator is it can deliver 4-5 kPa, which gives more flexibility with heat.

Offline jarnold

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 09:53:32 PM »
Agrajag,

What Mr. Li sends works in Australia I had no issues with gas or the AC adapters he sent me hope this helps

Offline Agrajag

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 02:59:05 PM »
What Mr. Li sends works in Australia
Excellent, I had emailed him but wasn't that confident with his reply. I have emailed him to order it now. Cheers.

Offline jarnold

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 05:00:47 AM »
No problem happy roasting! You will like the IR stove

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM