Author Topic: Almost ready to send the order...  (Read 7345 times)

Offline LizMax

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 1045
  • J or T : T
Almost ready to send the order...
« on: May 06, 2016, 06:37:27 AM »

Hello guys!

It is been some time since I am reading the forum, and I finally decided on my setup.
Wasn´t easy..

I am basically ready to send the order, but at the moment I am stuck, and the reason why are those questions:

1) Center or Amprobe, and if Amprobe - which one??  - I am planning to roast with Artisan, so it is crucial for me to have some compatible, and I want to be able to see the temperature as well, on the roaster, that's why I want Analog and Digital ET probe
2) Should I get the Dwyer (0-3.75 kPa) LPG Gage?

3) Can I order an exhaust pipe with the roaster? the one I can take out of the window? Or I can easily buy it anywhere?

I would be really grateful for any advices and your opinion!

Thank you!

P.S. Yes, I want to get 2 different drums and motors, to be able to experiment with it.

1)   Huky 500T      $1180
     a) Solid Drum & 72 RPM Motor
     b) Digital BT, Digital ET
2)   IR stove (butane)    $99
3)   Exhaust Hood      $49
4)   Extra MET thermocouple Digital   $18
5)   Extra Cooling Tray              $16
6)   Extra Fan              $48
7)   Extra Funnel      $13
8 )   Extra motor 72 rpm (in case of breakage) $18
9)   Center 304 $112
10) USB cable (for connecting to a Computer with Windows) $24
11)  Perforated drum (extra) $98
12)  Extra motor set 48 rpm   $78
13)  Quick connect $30
13)  Freight charges $186.

Total: $1963
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 05:11:27 AM by LizMax »

Offline Gregr

• Serial Number: 275
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 454
Re: Almost ready to send the order...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 07:06:05 AM »
Hi  :)
I've no experience with either of the dataloggers but if it were me I'd go for the 4ch Center and instead of the analog thermometer I'd have a digital probe there. The reason for that is the analog thermometer has very low resolution- plus or minus 5 degrees or so. That said, I have 3 digital probes but only use 2 and feel like it works just fine this way.
Dwyer gauge- have it and love it.
The exhaust pipe (I think of it as more of a hose than pipe since it's flexible) can usually be found at big hardware stores or online.
Hope this helps~
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 07:07:50 AM by Gregr »
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

SusanJoM

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 09:23:40 AM »
Quote from: LizMax link=topic=1030.msg11221#msg11221 that's why I want Analog and Digital ET probe
[/quote

This is not possible.  There is only one location identified as ET.  It can have either an analog OR a digital temperature reader at that location but not both at the same time.

Offline LizMax

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 10:04:04 AM »
Hi  :)
I've no experience with either of the dataloggers but if it were me I'd go for the 4ch Center and instead of the analog thermometer I'd have a digital probe there. The reason for that is the analog thermometer has very low resolution- plus or minus 5 degrees or so. That said, I have 3 digital probes but only use 2 and feel like it works just fine this way.
Dwyer gauge- have it and love it.
The exhaust pipe (I think of it as more of a hose than pipe since it's flexible) can usually be found at big hardware stores or online.
Hope this helps~

Thank you Gregr!

I was considering to have all digital probes - but if I get it right it means that will be able to see the temperature  only on the screen of the thermomemeter. I was wondering if there a way to display the ET on the roaster itself as well?..

Offline LizMax

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 10:06:54 AM »

This is not possible.  There is only one location identified as ET.  It can have either an analog OR a digital temperature reader at that location but not both at the same time.

Thank you Susan!

I am wondering if there is a way to have ET displayed both at the roaster and at the screen of the, lets say, Center 304. I would like to have it just in case, I got used looking at the roaster to get the information, as well as following the roast in Artisan. I would love to continue doing that, and I am looking if it is possible.

SusanJoM

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 10:16:52 AM »
It's a good question.
If it can be done, I don't know how.

Somehow it seems there should be a way to have the same temperature/location information exported to two different readers, but the how is out of my league.

Offline LTB

• Solid or Perf: Both (solid on)
  • Serial Number: 1003
  • Charge Weight : 460 gr
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 02:37:39 PM »
well... maybe you don't have a really precise idea of the size of the Huky (I had'nt !!)
The face of the Huky is a lot smaller than my open hand - I can't grab it, but not that far. And in that litlle space you have the pipe, the discharge door with the mecanism, the axis of the drum, and two or three probes.
It will be hard to put some temperature view here.

Furthermore, if you put the , let say, Center 304 "on foot" near by... you will have the temperature almost on the Huky, so no big deal, with your artisan screen no that far.

It's almost midnight for me now, if you ask I can take a picture tomorrow to show you.

Another idea : every single persone has his way to do it. After a misanderstanding with Mr Li I had two probes, but one in the MET place instead of the ET place, and no analog thermometer. I was lazzy and did'nt change the MET to the ET (I did'nt wanted the MET in first place) and.... well, it's find for me, having only the BT probe.
So you can have both BT and MET probes linked to your center 301 and artisan, and the analog thermometer in the ET location just to have a quick view.
Even more - if Mr Li understand you - ask BT MET probes, ET analog PLUS one extra probe. Even you put it in place of the analog if you don't like it, or you keep the probe at spare one.

Hope it helps you,

L.

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 06:18:41 AM »
Yes there is a way to display the ET on the machine; if that answer's the question.

Mr. Li has in the past offered an analogue style ET probe with a digital readout. It was fairly expensive @40-50$ usd if I recall correctly. Never seen one or heard of anyone ordering this option.

If someone was roasting manually with a simple BT meter, it could provide more useful information. Following this line of thought, digital BT is good enough combined with the analogue gauge when hand charting the profile. My guess is the 40-50$ cost is better off going to another option.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 06:20:51 AM by hankua »

Offline LizMax

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 12:08:29 PM »
well... maybe you don't have a really precise idea of the size of the Huky (I had'nt !!)
The face of the Huky is a lot smaller than my open hand - I can't grab it, but not that far. And in that litlle space you have the pipe, the discharge door with the mecanism, the axis of the drum, and two or three probes.
It will be hard to put some temperature view here.

Furthermore, if you put the , let say, Center 304 "on foot" near by... you will have the temperature almost on the Huky, so no big deal, with your artisan screen no that far.

It's almost midnight for me now, if you ask I can take a picture tomorrow to show you.

Another idea : every single persone has his way to do it. After a misanderstanding with Mr Li I had two probes, but one in the MET place instead of the ET place, and no analog thermometer. I was lazzy and did'nt change the MET to the ET (I did'nt wanted the MET in first place) and.... well, it's find for me, having only the BT probe.
So you can have both BT and MET probes linked to your center 301 and artisan, and the analog thermometer in the ET location just to have a quick view.
Even more - if Mr Li understand you - ask BT MET probes, ET analog PLUS one extra probe. Even you put it in place of the analog if you don't like it, or you keep the probe at spare one.

Hope it helps you,

L.

Thank you, LTB!

I think you convinced me that I can do without inventing the way to display the ET on the roaster itself. You are right, I did not think much about the size of the roaster.

Offline LizMax

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 12:10:42 PM »
Yes there is a way to display the ET on the machine; if that answer's the question.

Mr. Li has in the past offered an analogue style ET probe with a digital readout. It was fairly expensive @40-50$ usd if I recall correctly. Never seen one or heard of anyone ordering this option.

If someone was roasting manually with a simple BT meter, it could provide more useful information. Following this line of thought, digital BT is good enough combined with the analogue gauge when hand charting the profile. My guess is the 40-50$ cost is better off going to another option.

Thank you hankua!

I will be ordering all digital probes, I guess. Slowly letting go of the idea to have ET displayed on the roaster itself.

Offline LTB

• Solid or Perf: Both (solid on)
  • Serial Number: 1003
  • Charge Weight : 460 gr
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 01:34:04 PM »
Well, you do good thinking about how you want to "customize" your huky before ordering. And get your own idea - I just try to help with my feeling, nothing more.

But one of the good thing about Huky is that you can modify it, evolving toward what you really need/want/like. So you can't really do a mistake ;)

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM