Author Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 5030 times)

Offline KingSmono

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 1102
  • J or T : T
Hello everyone!
« on: August 26, 2016, 05:06:00 AM »
Hello everyone!  I just received my Huky 500 T (#1102) and completed my first roast last night.  Everything went pretty well except I did manage to set off the smoke alarms in my house...  so I need to fine-tune my exhaust / smoke venting solution.  But overall I'm very happy with the Huky and excited to be a part of the club.   8)

I have been roasting for 4 years now, and have followed the typical progression: Hot air popper > Bread Machine / Heat Gun > BBQ / RK Drum > Huky 500 T.

I am excited about the level of control and information that the Huky provides when paired with Artisan.  I have Artisan 0.9.9 on a Rapsberry Pi 2 Model B running the latest version of Raspbian Jessie.  I am using an iPad to display Artisan over a VNC connection, which gives me wireless / touchscreen control of Artisan.  It was a challenge to get setup the way I wanted, but now that it's up and running I am very happy with how it turned out.  Big thanks to the user that made the Raspberry Pi / Artisan setup document in the downloads section of the forum.  It was a huge help!

Here are a couple pics of my setup, which I am sure will change as I get settled into my Huky routine (attached).

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 06:16:23 AM »
Awesome!
I'm impressed with the computer setup, just need to tidy up the venting. One solution would be one of those dual window fans. Or build a rectangular piece of plywood to fit the window and glue in a straight pile. With only one vent bowl in the setup a small vent in the window is going to help out after dumping the beans.

Another idea is an inline 3" or 4" duct fan connected to a Y where one leg would go to the bowl and the other open to the bean cooler.

Offline KingSmono

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 09:45:54 AM »
During my next roast, when I'm ready to drop the beans I'm going to open the window near the roaster all the way and then turn a fan on to direct all smoke out that window.  If that doesn't work I will definitely look into some of the solutions like the window fan or inline duct fan.  Thanks!

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 01:38:36 PM »
I personally use an exhaust bowl (which is your choice too if my eyes don't fail me...). From that exhaust bowl I've attached a 4-5 feet long flexible automotive heater hose (60mm, almost 2,5") which I route out a window (which I open up about 60mm...). That takes care of some 90-95% of the exhausts. I do see some smoke by the roaster at the very end of my roasts, but just about nothing from the cooling fan.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline KingSmono

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 07:28:05 AM »
I do use an exhaust bowl, but on my first roast I connected 3" duct to it with a hose-clamp, and it wasn't a good enough seal.  So I ordered this 2.5" to 3" 45 degree adapter on Amazon, and it seemed to help with the exhaust bowl / duct connection.  I also setup a fan to blow any smoke from the cooling tray directly out the window when I drop the beans at the end of the roast.  So in my second roast, no smoke alarms were triggered.   :D

By the way, I really love using the iPad as a wireless / touchscreen Artisan interface.  When I was setting everything up for Artisan, the Phidget, and the iPad VNC connection on the Raspberry Pi, there were multiple occasions where I almost got frustrated enough to scrap the whole idea and just load Artisan on a laptop running Windows 7 or 10...  but I am really glad I stuck with it.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM