Author Topic: Just set up my brand new huky, a couple questions...  (Read 8249 times)

Offline Joey

• Seeking blueberry notes
  • Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 1130
  • J or T : T
Just set up my brand new huky, a couple questions...
« on: September 09, 2016, 08:41:49 PM »
Wow, this machine is beautiful.

Two questions before I get started.

1. I ordered a digital K probe for ET and wanted to make sure this looks right. I'm not sure whether or not I was supposed to take off the front plate or not...

2. Is there any trick to running the 3rd probe through the coil pictured here? I can't seem to get it to go through without risking damaging it/ kinking it.

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
Re: Just set up my brand new huky, a couple questions...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 01:02:55 AM »
Shiny and bright. Go get some chrome polish immediately! :)
The ET probe looks just right. If the drum spins everything is OK.
That holder (coiled thingie) for the BT and ET wires was constructed and manufactured before the MET option was included into the Huky. But you can either open it up a bit or make one a bit larger yourself.

Now see to that you have a good time with the roaster. :)
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline Joey

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 05:20:41 AM »
Thank you! One more question, I'd like to keep my propane tank outside, is there any harm in using a 12-15 ft gas line or is that too long?

Offline edtbjon

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 05:38:35 AM »
Thank you! One more question, I'd like to keep my propane tank outside, is there any harm in using a 12-15 ft gas line or is that too long?
That should be no problems at all. (I was at a roastery yesterday, where they were to install/upgrade the gas installment. They used about 100 feet long tubes...

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 09:00:32 AM »
I didn't have any issues with the coil and three wires. You could take it off and twist the coil instead.

Offline Joey

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 04:42:58 PM »
I didn't have any issues with the coil and three wires. You could take it off and twist the coil instead.

I took it off and was able to twist the coil around the probe cord and it went in nice and easy. Thanks for the tip!

Offline Joey

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 08:35:24 PM »
One more question with regards to the Variac. My Variac goes from 0 to 130. When people on these forums discuss fan power %, how exactly are they doing it? When someone says 25% does that mean 50% of 130 or 50 on their Variac?

Offline edtbjon

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 01:11:02 AM »
As I live in Sweden (Europe... read "the rest of the world" :) ), I have 230V in my mains. I do have to use a Variac built for that voltage. (The same goes for the rest of the electrical equipment, i.e fans and the motor transformer.)
I use procent to nominate my power settings as it would be very confusing trying to compare control profiles otherwise. I do know that many of you users in the US simply jot down the Voltage (V) setting. As long as you note which system you're using it's fine.
One more thing: I don't use the 0V as my 0%. The fan have to spin a bit before it actually does create any negative pressure in the drum (read: suction). I've found that calibrated "zero" with a cig.lighter in front of the tryer hole. (The procedure is described in many places, I got it from the Scott Rao book.)

Edit: I forgot to say that my "zero" it at around 30-35%. But that also depends on how well you set up your exhaust system. It's easy to have all sorts of small leaks all over the place, but that makes the system less effective.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:13:01 PM by edtbjon »

Offline Joey

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 08:58:13 AM »
As I live in Sweden (Europe... read "the rest of the world" :) ), I have 230V in my mains. I do have to use a Variac built for that voltage. (The same goes for the rest of the electrical equipment, i.e fans and the motor transformer.)
I use procent to nominate my power settings as it would be very confusing trying to compare control profiles otherwise. I do know that many of you users in the US simply jot down the Voltage (V) setting. As long as you note which system you're using it's fine.
One more thing: I don't use the 0V as my 0%. The fan have to spin a bit before it actually does create any negative pressure in the drum (read: suction). I've found that calibrated "zero" with a cig.lighter in front of the tryer hole. (The procedure is described in many places, I got it from the Scott Rao book.)

Great. I'll give the lighter method a try. I read the book a while back but completely forgot about that tip. So the idea is that whichever fan power pulls the flame slightly towards the trier hole would be my 0% flow? Then assign 130V to 100% and calculate the rest from there? Although it looks like the fan says 115V, so maybe that means that 115V should be my 100%? What do you guys think?

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 09:36:46 AM »
One more question with regards to the Variac. My Variac goes from 0 to 130. When people on these forums discuss fan power %, how exactly are they doing it? When someone says 25% does that mean 50% of 130 or 50 on their Variac?

I think it's all relative for the purposes of repeatability on your setup. That being said I measured my airflow with a anemometer placed on the downside of the J-Tube. This was done without the roaster; fan, funnel, and J-tube measuring the amount of negative pressure created by different settings.

By using this method one can set up a simple light dimmer with a sharpie and have three usable roasting settings. With a Variac there's not a lot of difference between say 70V and 120V. Since the Huky loves to suck up beans, it's good to limit the fan speeds if possible. On the flip side one can find out what the lowest air setting is that works. The anemometer is the least expensive way to measure this variable. (eBay meter from China)

Offline Wayneg1

• Global Moderator
  • Serial Number: 825
  • Charge Weight : 400
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 03:17:08 PM »

I used an anemometer as well to identify fan power settings.  I first measured what I considered 100% power by airflow and voltage and then made notes as I turned the variac down.  The lowest usable fan power setting for me is 20%.  Congrats on the new Huky.

Offline AK

• Serial Number: 1073
  • Charge Weight : 350g
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 01:55:20 PM »

I used an anemometer as well to identify fan power settings.  I first measured what I considered 100% power by airflow and voltage and then made notes as I turned the variac down.  The lowest usable fan power setting for me is 20%.  Congrats on the new Huky.

I'll check with an anemometer, but using the lighter technique, mine is about 20 as well.

Offline Joey

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 04:44:21 PM »
There is a chart on the 4th page of this thread that might be helpful
https://www.hukyforum.com/index.php/topic,153.msg1484.html#msg1484

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!!!

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM