Author Topic: Will soon place my order....please comment my order list!  (Read 13639 times)

Offline PabloElFlamenco

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 1139
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 400 grams...
Will soon place my order....please comment my order list!
« on: September 24, 2016, 07:11:32 AM »
Hi all,
I've been trying to condense the information on the forum into a concentrated and logical target form order for quite some time now.  The problem is trying to visualise the running of this machine, and not knowing anything at all about Artisan, probes and all that.
I would like, when the apparatus arrives, to be able to roast quickly in "Base" mode.  Then, as I get the hang of it (and score a pre-owned laptop PC), convert into Artisan mode.  I also intend to order, locally, some Variac, for varying the fan...

I would be very thankful if you would (yes, yet another one asking questions...) review my list and point out what I might have forgotten.  Is my order form "logical" and easily understandable in Taiwan?

Here we go...

Huky 500T for use in mainland Europe, 230 V / 50 Hz.
Set up with Solid drum with 72 RPM motor (but enable quick transform to perforated drum with 48 RPM)
Infrared stove (propane, easily adaptable to Belgian European standards)
Extra fan
Extra sieve/tray
Extra funnel
Center 304 (4 input) - please install probes for BT, ET and MET
USB cable
Extra motor 48 RPM
Extra drum :  perforated

At this present time, I haven't a clue as to how I will read temperatures.  Is a (digital) theremometer included in the above, or should I order one extra?

Many thanks for your advice!

Kind regards,
Paul
The best coffee in this village...

Offline Joey

• Seeking blueberry notes
  • Serial Number: 1130
Re: Will soon place my order....please comment my order list!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 07:56:27 AM »
Looks like a good list. I'd recommend the quick connect option too. Makes taking off the T pipe really easy since it tends to catch some beans that you'll want to empty fairly often. What are your plans for exhaust?

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 09:40:03 AM »
Hi and Welcome!

Center 304 is a thermometer with a digital output for 4- K type thermocouples.
Base mode roasting would involve using the damper, BT/ET (solid drum), and some sort of hand charting.

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 03:11:55 PM »
There's this thing about a temp meter (the Center 304 in this case) vs a Phidget 1048. If you have any use for the Center except for the Huky, go for that, else go for a Phidget.
I have both solutions available and use the Phidget as it's a stable and working solution. My Center (301 two probe) works very well too and may be a more sensible solution as Artisan does crash every now and then (once every 50-100 roasts or so, i.e not very often...). If you're on track with the roast as such and Artisan crashes, keeping up with just the temp and time values should be enough to keep you on track with your intended roast (given that you're past the basic of roasting with the Huky...).
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline PabloElFlamenco

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 03:27:17 AM »
To all who replied:  thank you!
Tomorrow morning I'm leaving ... on holiday to the south of France ... and may not be visiting the forum.  Back on 5th October, active on 6th and will order the Huky immediately thereafter.

Offline PabloElFlamenco

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 03:30:12 AM »
Looks like a good list. I'd recommend the quick connect option too. Makes taking off the T pipe really easy since it tends to catch some beans that you'll want to empty fairly often. What are your plans for exhaust?

Thanks Joey... quick connect option...how much does that cost (haven't traced it listed on price list) sounds like something useful, though, so do I just ask Mr. Kuanho Li for it?
Read you later (leaving on holiday till 5th October)

Offline PabloElFlamenco

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 03:36:56 AM »
What are your plans for exhaust?

Wellllll.....ahum....."plans" is a big word for some one who has but an inkling of an idea.  I intend, initially, to set up the roasting device either in the garage or in the veranda, both allowing fresh air to enter and coffee bean smoke to ... escape.
But there is the option, at a later stage, of setting up the roaster "permanently" in a tools and (electric and gas) meters room, adjacent to the garage.  This space has, just above ground level, a "glass tile" light wall/window, and some of these tiles have ventilation openings, through which I may be able to arrange an exhaust, using some of that flexible tubing that Mr. Li doesn't want to ship.

If you would comment, please?  What exactly do I need to have from Mr. Li to set up a "thru the wall" exhaust?  Thanks again, Joey! Cheers!

Offline PabloElFlamenco

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 03:42:29 AM »
Hi and Welcome!

Center 304 is a thermometer with a digital output for 4- K type thermocouples.
Base mode roasting would involve using the damper, BT/ET (solid drum), and some sort of hand charting.

Well, and thanks, in that case the Center 304 would be all I need to get started with Huky, is that right?  And there'd be nothing wrong in asking Mr. Li to connect the 3 probes as per my initial post (above)?  Surely you see that I'm...negociating the flow of knowledge...!  I'm trying to get a quick start yet leave open options for the future without having to place a 2nd order from Taiwan...  Cheers!

Offline PabloElFlamenco

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 03:48:08 AM »
There's this thing about a temp meter (the Center 304 in this case) vs a Phidget 1048. If you have any use for the Center except for the Huky, go for that, else go for a Phidget.
I have both solutions available and use the Phidget as it's a stable and working solution. My Center (301 two probe) works very well too and may be a more sensible solution as Artisan does crash every now and then (once every 50-100 roasts or so, i.e not very often...). If you're on track with the roast as such and Artisan crashes, keeping up with just the temp and time values should be enough to keep you on track with your intended roast (given that you're past the basic of roasting with the Huky...).

Thanks edtbjon...trying to understand this (sorry, newbee).  I believe, in the beginning stages, I'll be "simple roasting" and (correct me if I'm wrong!) I would think a Center 304 would allow just for that.  Expansion, afterwards...yes...I might "evolve" sufficiently to begin to grasp exactly what this "Phidget" and "Artisan" are all about.  I'm basically trying to cover all grounds in my first order from Mr. Li, but I am starting to grasp that this Phidget is a different thing, which Mr. Li does not furnish.  Read you later, returning on October 5th from holiday.  Internet in Provence is notoriously inadequate, sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Offline PabloElFlamenco

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 06:26:11 AM »
I've bit the bullet:  placed my order and Kuanho Li confirmed receipt of funds, so now we'll have to wait a month or so before Belgian Customs officers do their job.  I opted for the full house, 500T with quick connect option, infrared stove, 3 digital probes, the Center 304, two drums, extra motor set, extra sieve/tray, extra funnel, extra fan, USB cable...why, I even opted to pay for the shipping fee!

Now learn to roast (just did roast 524 on my Hottop, which is making squeeky noises when running cold, with something making the drum rotation drag, after it's heated up, the noise stops and it runs OK, but ... I anticipated upon it giving up the ghost!

Reverting...

Paul

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 01:21:09 PM »
Just wondering, did you talk to Kuanho in the last few days? I emailed him to confirm an order Tuesday and haven't heard back from him. Don't want to be a pest about it though, just getting anxious to join the club :)

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 01:55:52 PM »
I emailed Mr. Li yesterday evening and have not heard back.
That's not unusual.  Sometimes I hear asap;  sometimes it's days.
Just FYI Monday (10th) is a National Holiday in Taiwan.

"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Offline PabloElFlamenco

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 06:45:00 AM »
Just wondering, did you talk to Kuanho in the last few days? I emailed him to confirm an order Tuesday and haven't heard back from him. Don't want to be a pest about it though, just getting anxious to join the club :)

I noticed that Kuanho replies very fast, and almost atdnshinc (any time day night sundays holidays included).  That means he must not be getting much in way of sleep, unless there are half a dozen Kuanho's there under one single nomer.  And yes, he did confirm my payment, almost immediately.

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 06:46:01 PM »
There was another Holiday in Taiwan; double ten day.

Offline PabloElFlamenco

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 05:01:48 AM »
During this, by definition long, wait for the Huky 500T to reach Belgium, I've spent quite a lot of time reading messages on this forum, the wealth of information therein I can only be thankful for!

I've also effected some side-orders, like a Variac, which I sourced in the Netherlands from a website visibly active in selling equipments for promoting the healthy growing of otherwise unnamed psychotropic plants.  Who said Variacs are an American thing? ::)

And I bought a great second-hand laptop, from which I'm writing these words, and onto which I installed the latest version of Artisan.

And I'm awaiting arrival of a pair of heat-protective gloves.

I expect the Huky to arrive here early November, let's then see how much time the Customs people need to send me their bill (+4.x% over CIF value + 21% VAT + cost of Customs clearance).

After receipt of the machine, I'll be able to check and buy any additional propane hookup thingies -flexible hose and a suitable 50mBar pressure regulator and an adapter to fit the same kind of gas bottle I already use for the Weber BBQ (with two identical bottles, the chance of running out of gas is smaller).  And, of course, I'll need to buy that bottle of propane, and pay the deposit on that bottle.  Cash flow!

Finally, I'll need to source suitable flexible tubing, for the exhaust setup.  And some tabletop, after I make the final decision where to place it...  Cash low!

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM