Author Topic: I'm totally new, so hello all! I have a few questions ; )  (Read 6402 times)

Offline edpiep

I'm totally new, so hello all! I have a few questions ; )
« on: September 28, 2016, 06:28:24 PM »
I will be purchasing a Huky really soon. I have been researching and looking at the pics seen on this forum etc. After my digging I do have a few questions and would love input so I can head in to roasting without any unnecessary snags:

1. If I were to get 3 thermocouples for BT, MET and ET, would this require a Phidget or could I plug them into one 301 or similar type of readout?

2. Does the IR stove come with a place to attach the propane line adapter (I'm not sure what to call it, lol). Basically the hose going from the propane tank to the stove needs an adapter of some type and I don't know what its called, can someone please help with that?

These are just the beginning of my inquiries. Regardless I am really excited to upgrade from my Behmor 1600+ and I don't want to spend unnecessary time re-ordering if I don't have to.

I love this forum btw. Thank you to whoever was the brilliant one to establish a support community for a DIY mini-boss coffee roaster  ;D

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
Re: I'm totally new, so hello all! I have a few questions ; )
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 08:59:21 PM »
Well, Hello back to you :)

Yes you would need a Phidget or a Center 304 to have three inputs. With the solid drum two inputs is enough, perforated drum probably would benefit from three.

IR stove comes with a regulator and clamps; should have everything in the box.

Some options are very nice to have; stove, vent bowl and digital ET thermometer for example. Extra screen is another one. Cooling beans could be done on something home made instead of the extra fan.

In the original design, venting and bean cooling was done with the same fan which customers though was very inconvenient. That let to extra options, pipes, T's, etc. All of that does not negate the Huky's lack of a chaff collector and bean funnel; which leads to the dreaded "Huky dance". The Huky "T" was the "solution" some folks like it and others went back to the J-pipe. Obviously the designer and customers have a very different idea of economy/simplicity LOL.

Offline edpiep

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 03:20:44 PM »
Thank you hankua!

I am planning on getting an extra vent bowl + fan. I will most likely be getting the extra drum, motor and mount so the 3rd TC being a necessary add for that is a good help  8) The T-pipe and funnel make good sense to me as well.

Lastly, what is the "Huky dance"?  I can only begin to picture it....I might need to start practicing  ;)

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 06:17:11 PM »
The "Huky dance" involved switching out the hot J-pipe to charge green beans and again to clean out the chaff tray. If one has the very original version with one fan there is a lot of moving things around.

If one inadvertently leans against the hot piping; a nice burn can occur. I got my first one several weeks ago; Ouch!

If you plan on taking the roaster apart; some better quality tools is a good idea. The small screws are very easy to strip out; but can be replaced with another head design more practical/less decorative.

Offline LTB

• Solid or Perf: Both (solid on)
  • Serial Number: 1003
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 460 gr
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 05:52:06 AM »
welcome here !

Offline edpiep

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 03:13:57 PM »
The "Huky dance" involved switching out the hot J-pipe to charge green beans and again to clean out the chaff tray. If one has the very original version with one fan there is a lot of moving things around.

Haha, yeah that's a dangerous waltz, I'm not a good dancer anyway. I will most likely go with the T-Pipe as I had originally intended, thank you for the info.

I will arrive at my final choices by the end of October/no later than first week of Nov, I had a hectic last few weeks but am wanting to get this bird off the runway so to speak.

Does Mr. Li need payment before he places the order? Is it via PayPal or the like?

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 03:30:04 PM »
Going with the J pipe isn't that bad after all. You still have to clean the exhaust sieve after each and every roast. It's not that hard to handle the hot pipe as there is a wooden handle to help you. It's just a matter of practice. Two fans (one for cooling the beans) is highly recommended by most of us.
The somewhat simple setup of the J pipe does have its advantages, with fewer joints that introduces leakage etc. I've used both and even though I've had very small problems with the T setup I'm still contemplating going back to the J setup. This mostly because of the (again in my case...) small issue of having some beans stuck in the exhaust. The way I roast (charging at low temp) does give me a few minutes between the roasts, so "back to back" roasting isn't possible anyhow.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline edpiep

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 03:50:41 PM »
Thanks edtbjon!

Is there a vast difference in the 110V vs. 220V, like is one just able to produce more power and therefore is more reliable? I live in an older US built apt. so I am thinking I may not have 220V outlets. I don't have the standard "3 prong" ones, just the two prongs and I use adapters. Will this result in voltage deficiencies similar to that of an extension chord?

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 06:56:15 PM »
If you are in the USA, your HUKY will come wired for 110.  No need to think about 220 at all.

As for the HUKY dance, you can see it in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W7Lst2AYSg

and it is not much of a muchness. 
It can be avoided by ordering a second fan and sieve for cooling.

"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM