Author Topic: Setting up using a wooden surface  (Read 6352 times)

Offline Dogalish

Setting up using a wooden surface
« on: October 12, 2016, 08:47:42 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking about on the forum for a while now as I put together my Huky order.   Firstly I have to say what an amazing resource this is for anyone thinking about getting a Huky - it can be a bit overwhelming for newbies and the advice available here has been a massive help.  I have read through every post on the pre-purchase questions section and the information has been invaluable  - I still have some questions though!

I am almost there with my order (will do the standard newbie thing and post that for review shortly!) and am now starting to think about what my set up is going to be like.   I noticed on some on the set up pictures that some people sit their Huky on a wooden Bench/Table (on the gas burner) - is this safe from the fire perspective or would people recommend that the Huky is put on a metal surface?

Also, in terms of dimensions someone has mentioned that the depth of the Huky is 18" from the back of the motor to the tip of the trier and if you have a bean tray/fan at the front this is another 7".   So I guess I need to get a work surface that is at least 25" deep in order to fit the whole thing on?  Please let me know if I am missing anything here.

Any help would be much appreciated, looking forward to posting the details of  my order for review!!

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
Re: Setting up using a wooden surface
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 09:03:55 AM »
I noticed on some on the set up pictures that some people sit their Huky on a wooden Bench/Table (on the gas burner) - is this safe from the fire perspective or would people recommend that the Huky is put on a metal surface?

The IR stove from Mr. Li comes with a steel 'pan' (sorry that's not quite the right word, but it's all I've got at the moment) which the burner sits on.  I have that pan directly on a wooden table and have had no indication of any heat buildup at all.  I don't think this is something you need to worry about, although metal rolling carts make nice roasting stations.

As to the minimum required dimensions someone else will have to help.  I sprawl and I'm messy, so I use most of the surface of a flat drafting table.  It's more than enough, but less would feel crowded. 
"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Offline easygene

• Solid or Perf: perforated
  • Serial Number: 830
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 350
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 02:27:41 PM »
I echo Susan's comments on the wooden table.  Very safe.  Look at Mr Li's design of the Huky.  He used wood for the hot tryer handle.  Wood for the grate control(perforated drum) and wood for the really hot exhaust slide.  Wood is a great insulator.  I have used wood for the past twenty years in my roasting prior to the Huky.

That being said I used metal for my new roasting cart.  Went to the local school to ask about using their wood working equipment and the welding instructor said he would personally weld it if I would choose metal.  The finished cart has room for my large Mac, 7 1/2 X 14 notebook, exhaust fan and room left over.  Thank goodness I overestimated room.

And the fan need not sit in the front.  With the T design it can sit on either side or the front.  With my cart designed exhaust  to sit to the right.  Did this so when I wheel into the washer/dryer room in winter it pipes right outdoors.
Good luck and you are in for some real enjoyment.
Please let us know how it goes.

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 12:28:39 AM »
I live in a small apartment and I don't have the space for neither a stationary setup nor a roasting cart. While I'm pretty sure that a wood surface would suffice nicely, I got myself a sheet of plywood and dressed it with the cheapest cheramic tiles that I could find (normal white 6x6" very thin ones, to be seen just about any old kitchen or "water-loo" ;) (Yes, I'm Swedish... :) )).  Very easy to clean and still reasonably light. That temporary tabletop is easy to tuck away and get out for the roasting sessions.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline Dogalish

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 02:03:48 AM »
Thanks all for the advice,  good to hear that a wooden surface is ok at that will give me a lot more options in my limited space.

Will be posting my order for review soon!

Offline thusband

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 712
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : Varies
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 07:42:55 AM »
Yes, my wooden bench measures 24" x 48" and my "J" Huky fits nicely along with the exhaust fan/bowl, cooling fan/bowl, Variac and laptop.  I still have room for weighing the roast before and after.  The "T" setup might take a bit more room but is more flexible, I believe, on the exhaust fan arrangement. Photo linked.
https://goo.gl/photos/7nigu3vR3Zxys3KR9

Offline LTB

• Solid or Perf: Both (solid on)
  • Serial Number: 1003
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 460 gr
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 07:47:36 AM »
Hello !
Your question is a good one ! I had some bad issue brewing beer on a wooden surface... but with the Huky and the IR burner no prob at all !

My wooden surface is something like 65cmx65cm, I let you translate in inches and feet (something like 2 feet*2 feet)
Depth is ok but could be better with more wide, but depends on how is your working organisation.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM