Author Topic: Huky 500 roasting smoke exhaust  (Read 9632 times)

Offline PabloElFlamenco

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 1139
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 400 grams...
Huky 500 roasting smoke exhaust
« on: October 19, 2016, 02:40:12 PM »
Awaiting the arrival of the Huky 500T, which I paid on 7th October, I've been (I'm retired) cleaning up the place I intend to install the roaster in.  More than mere "cleaning", it means sorting through 30 years of collected junk and deciding what to throw out, and then actually doing just that.

And, I've been busy, in the evenings, reading up on Hukyture.  And, not being versed in physics,  I have a "theory" question:

I can understand that, were I to put up a smoke exhaust setup, whereby the standard 2.5 inch vent bowl is tubed into a (theoretical and hypothetical) 2 foot diameter hose (and then upwards out the window), then the ventilator would just pump the exhaust smoke into that hose, filling it, and nothing much more would happen.  Back pressure, I think..?

What would happen if I hooked up that same standard 2.5 inch diameter vent bowl, through a reducer, into a, say 5 foot long flexible tube with a diameter of a mere 1.5 inch (and that, out the window, located quite higher-up than the vent bowl)?  Would that smoke accelerate outwards?  (Venturi effect?). 

Am I correct in assuming that, by reducing the diameter of that exhaust tubing, it would "draw" better, i.e. would it work to efficiently remove the smoke outwards?

If so, that would provide me with a very handy solution:  I don't have a window, that you can open.  But I do have a 1 x 1 meter "glass" wall, the upper level of which contains aeration "slots", for the ventilation of that place.  I would have trouble pushing a 2.5 inch aluminum (or other) hose out through that, but 1.5 inch hose would be no problem at all.  And an identical slot, located at the other end of the "glass wall", could do to pass the propane gas tube through, enabling me to leave the propane bottle out of harms way.

Two cents for your thoughts as to my "ventilation theory".

Paul
The best coffee in this village...

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
Re: Huky 500 roasting smoke exhaust
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 03:07:52 PM »
And an identical slot, located at the other end of the "glass wall", could do to pass the propane gas tube through, enabling me to leave the propane bottle out of harms way.

I don't have anything to offer on the ventilation theory.  I do have a suggestion that if you are going to put the propane tank on the other side of a wall from you and the HUKY that you add a shut off valve at the HUKY itself.  In case of the need to shut it all down, it would negate having to negotiate to another room to do so.

I can reach my propane tank from where I'm roasting, but I still have that extra shut-off for (my) safety's sake.
"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 03:56:45 PM »
I can't see that working, but some creative solutions should get you roasting. If the slot in question is rectangular; I would suggest having a transition adaptor made similar to what would connect a kitchen vent to the exhaust.

A/C Heating techs or a sheet metal shop should be able to fabricate the part. Then you would have the choice to use 2.5" or 3" round.

If you have a very long run with multiple bends; an in-line 3" or 4" blower would give you a super ventilation system.

Offline PabloElFlamenco

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 1139
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 400 grams...
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 07:20:22 AM »
Well, I decided to move on and bought 5 meters of 63 mm (that is 2.5") aluminium flexible duct said to be non-flammable and resistent upto 400F (200C), this is the same tubing recommended somewhere else (danke!) on the forum, from Germany (I'm in Belgium, relatively close).

I'll either try to pry it through the avalable horizontal slot, which might or might not work.
Since that tile is glass, and I don't believe I can neither saw nor drill (thick) glass, I may try to remove one entire 15 x 15 cm (5.91") tile by drilling successive holes through the cement around the glass, to remove that tile in its entirety, and then shove the tube through and cement it all around (or something, perhaps a wooden board with a hole for the exhaust pipe).

Unos saludos desde Bélgica (we ain't got no walls but ... never say never!)
The best coffee in this village...

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM