Author Topic: Any successful natural gas installations with IR burner?  (Read 8826 times)

Offline steveande

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 1207
  • J or T : T
Any successful natural gas installations with IR burner?
« on: January 17, 2017, 07:51:22 PM »
I have been planning to plumb the IR burner into a gas line in my house for a permanent install.  Has anyone successfully done this with the IR burner?  I just read through everything I could find on those who were planning to run the IR burner on natural gas, and the only conclusive thing I could find was that there may be issues!

I get reeeeaal nervous about a propane tank being inside the house on a regular basis.  Any other thoughts on an indoor, permanent installation?

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
Re: Any successful natural gas installations with IR burner?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 04:30:22 AM »
Just a thought about "get reeeeaal nervous about a propane tank being inside the house on a regular basis"...
If you see to having the connections done properly using a good quality gas hose, there is really nothing to worry about, as you're intending to have the tank inside only when roasting. When I'm in a roasting session, I very seldom leave the roaster for more than a few minutes. Unless the tank all of a sudden ruptures, there is no risk, even if the flame should go out on you. Make it a habit of always being in the same room while the tank is opened and you're totally safe. (Taking five after a roast is no problem. Just turn off the flame, close the tank, shut off the exhaust fan and the roaster will slowly cool down quite slowly towards charge temp...)
I'd be just as nervous about having a natural gas line and burners in my house... Natural gas is not in any way "safer" than propane. It's all up to the gas lines and whatever burners etc. these lines are hooked up to. You'd have to pay exactly the same amount of attention to the IR burner if you hook it up to the inhouse gas line as if you'd hook it up to a propane tank.

Apart from that it's just a matter of getting enough gas pressure (4-5kPa, 40-50mBar) from the gas line. Mr. Li will set up the IR burner with the correct size orifice (?) so that you get the same heat out of the burner.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 05:43:35 AM »
I have been planning to plumb the IR burner into a gas line in my house for a permanent install.  Has anyone successfully done this with the IR burner?  I just read through everything I could find on those who were planning to run the IR burner on natural gas, and the only conclusive thing I could find was that there may be issues!

I get reeeeaal nervous about a propane tank being inside the house on a regular basis.  Any other thoughts on an indoor, permanent installation?

You need to change out the jet in the stove, Mr. Li has the parts. The scale on the pressure gauge is a bit high; Dwyer has one that tops out much lower, easier to manage. Maximum heat also may end up being lower than LPG, which can reach 4kPa or more.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 04:25:56 AM by hankua »

Offline HukyGnome

• Solid or Perf: Both - Current Perf
  • Serial Number: 714
  • Charge Weight : 350/454
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 01:35:23 PM »
I've been considering changing over to NG too. Been using LP for over a year with no issues. Cost of the NG orifice from Mr. Li is $3.00 USD total for both orifices plus shipping.
Ecclesiastes 7:8  Finishing is better than starting. Patience is better than pride.

Offline steveande

• Serial Number: 1207
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 08:41:41 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation that it's possible to use NG with the IR stove.  Still, I'm concerned that I haven't found anyone who has actually done it!  If standard gas line pressure may not be enough, I don't know if I want to go through the hassle.  Though for $3, I may have Mr. Li throw in the additional orifice for my order.  Then I would at least have it to try.

Offline Igneous88

• Solid or Perf: Perf
  • Serial Number: 1307
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 05:40:19 PM »
Did you ever swap over to NG?  Did you have to replace your pressure gauge?

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM