Author Topic: Honey Processed Coffee  (Read 18105 times)

Offline hcm45

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 1163
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 400g
Honey Processed Coffee
« on: May 04, 2017, 09:29:14 AM »
Hey guys, this is my first post. While at the SCAA Expo this year I tried a variety of coffees, most were not terribly memorable (I told one roaster his roast was "underdeveloped" which was not taken too well😆). One coffee that did stand out was a "honey processed" coffee.  It was apparently an espresso blend and was brewed via pour over. I was not told whether the entire blend was honey processed or wether there was only one honey processed coffee. The taste was... amazing! The depth and complexity, the strong undertone of sweetness, I've never been one for coffee tasting terminology, but this coffee deserved no less. Has anyone had experience with buying/roasting "honey processed" coffee?

Offline Turboner

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 962
  • Charge Weight : 350 or 454
Re: Honey Processed Coffee
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 12:01:44 PM »
Funny you mentioned the coffee at the SCAA. On Rao's latest blog, he talked about the irony of having difficulty finding good coffee during the event. His observations are similar to yours, with lots of underdeveloped, burnt, or baked coffee.

Id be interested as well in honey processed as I have zero experience in this area.

Thank you for bringing this up.

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 04:23:23 PM »
What IS Honey Processed Coffee????
"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Offline Turboner

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 05:11:28 PM »
Its been a while since I read up on it, but I think it essentially is dry processed coffee. I think there are three types: Black Honey, Red Honey, and Yellow Honey. The darker the honey color the longer the fruit was left out to dry.

Yellow - 1 week
Red - 2-4weeks
Black - >4 weeks

Offline kctremel

• Not your normal green beans
  • Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 646
  • Charge Weight : 350
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 08:38:35 PM »
if you guys wanna try some mascafe.co has some for 5 bucks with free shipping on more than 2 lbs.

Offline hcm45

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 11:29:25 PM »
Funny you mentioned the coffee at the SCAA. On Rao's latest blog, he talked about the irony of having difficulty finding good coffee during the event. His observations are similar to yours, with lots of underdeveloped, burnt, or baked coffee.

Id be interested as well in honey processed as I have zero experience in this area.

Thank you for bringing this up.

Just read Roa's blog post about SCAA EXPO. Glad I'm not the only one, for being a major event, I kinda of expected better. It was a great display for manufacturers of various coffee devices though. Even some more obscure roaster manufacturers(Kuban from Turkey) were there. The beer coffee was awesome :D

if you guys wanna try some mascafe.co has some for 5 bucks with free shipping on more than 2 lbs.

Holy Cow, these prices are awesome. Thanks for the reference kctremel!

Offline kctremel

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 05:55:08 AM »
No problem, ive been ordering through them for a couple months now and have had no problems, Marcela, the owner/head barista keeps in contact with me via email so that's a bonus, and its their family coffee so I believe that's why its so much cheaper than other places.

Offline Turboner

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 08:51:43 AM »
No problem, ive been ordering through them for a couple months now and have had no problems, Marcela, the owner/head barista keeps in contact with me via email so that's a bonus, and its their family coffee so I believe that's why its so much cheaper than other places.

Is there a promo code for the free shipping? I am getting $2.50 shipping for a bag or $4.50 for 2 or more.

Offline kctremel

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 11:38:28 AM »
I am sorry, the free shipping must have ended recently as I just did it the other day. My bad.  I am looking at the cart and get 2.50 shipping for 20#, maybe its your location?

Offline hcm45

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 11:53:01 AM »
I am sorry, the free shipping must have ended recently as I just did it the other day. My bad.  I am looking at the cart and get 2.50 shipping for 20#, maybe its your location?

I bought some, no worries! I bought 5lbs of honey and 5lbs of their other on sale coffee. $40 total with shipping. A flat $2.50 for shipping is pretty good deal even if your buying 1 lb and especially good for 10lbs   ;D .

Offline Brent

• Solid or Perf: perforated
  • Charge Weight : So far 250gm to 350gm
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 04:03:28 PM »
As far as I understand it, honey coffee is basically pulped natural coffee. The difference being that there are varying degrees of pulp left on the bean during drying.  There is  black, red, yellow, and white honey. The color corresponds to how much pulp is left on the bean during drying with black having the most. That's how it was explained to me.

A shop in town has been getting in a couple Costa Rican honey coffees each year for the last 6 yrs or so, that are quite nice. Genesis and Sin Limites. As far as roasting, I basically follow the tips from the roaster at the shop I get them from. I guess the processing affects how they roast to an extent.

I am able to get my hands on some very nice coffees through a local roastery, but I  have to say, I'm tiny bit envious as to the selection and prices you guys have down in the US for home roasters.  With the exchange rate and shipping it's pretty well double the price to ship coffee to Canada. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:28:55 PM by Brent »

Offline kctremel

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 05:47:02 PM »
Have you checked out the sidebar for reddit of the Canadian coffees?  heres the link incase theres some places you find useful. https://www.reddit.com/r/roasting/comments/141603/canada_green_coffee_sources_online/

Offline Brent

• Solid or Perf: perforated
  • Charge Weight : So far 250gm to 350gm
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 09:58:08 PM »
Thanks KC.  I recall seeing that list at some point, but it's been a while. Thanks for the reminder. There are a few places that look interesting in that list that I should look at closer. I usually get my coffee from Transcend which is on the list. It's in town, so it's handy and their quality is quite good, even though the selection isn't that large. They provide some cupping notes though and detailed info on where the coffee is from, whether it's a single lot, blended lot, micro lot etc.

I find many green coffee places in Canada have very generic descriptions as far as where the coffee is from, whether it's a blended lot, a lot from a single farm, region etc.  A Fair Trade Guatemala, or Sulawesi Kalossi doesn't tell us buyers much. I like to know regional info right down to the farm if possible, as well as at least some cupping notes.

Offline Turboner

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 08:34:57 AM »

I bought some, no worries! I bought 5lbs of honey and 5lbs of their other on sale coffee. $40 total with shipping. A flat $2.50 for shipping is pretty good deal even if your buying 1 lb and especially good for 10lbs   ;D .

I just tried their coffee on sale and it was delicious, surprisingly not very acidic considering its elevation.

Offline Turboner

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 08:40:12 AM »
Oops! I roasted the antioquia not the bean on sale.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM