Author Topic: New buyer to support Diedrich IR-12  (Read 9123 times)

New buyer to support Diedrich IR-12
« on: May 11, 2017, 09:57:23 AM »
Hi All!

Great forum!  I am just finalizing my order and wonder if anyone has any tips or cautions given that we are new to roasting.  We have an IR-12 but want to introduce then sample roaster to the scene.

-  Huky 500T Perforated drum
-  IR stove for propane
-  Dual-digital and USB for use with Artisan
-  Exhaust bowl
-  Extra sieve, tray and funnel
-  I also will be purchasing Phidget 1048 and the Speedster people have recommended.

I am curious about these and don't quite understand what they are...

"T" diversion pipe ----------------------$136.00
Front plate with Quick Connect---------$ 94.00

Thanks for any suggestions!
A.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 12:19:18 PM by goodlittlewifey »

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
Re: New buyer to support Diedrich IR-12
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 04:06:26 AM »
Hi and welcome.
First, the last... :) The two items on the bottom are parts of a conversion kit for older Huky roasters, being of the J type. You don't need them as the roaster you're about to order already include these very items.
Having at least seen an IR12 in action, I'd really think that a solid drum would serve you better if you intend to use the Huky as a sample roaster. The perforated drum does the job different from the solid drum and I guess that you want to keep the variables down to a minimum. (Please note that I'm saying that it works "different", not better or worse. ;) )
I did a series of tests with 125g samples, just to get the feel for how a Huky could be used as a sample roaster (link: here) and I performed them with a perf.drum, simply because that was the config that I was running at that time. If I understand it correctly, samples from distributors can be even smaller than 100g but my notes in that thread still apply.
Last, I think the Huky can be used for at least basic profiling too, but then I'd (personally) use the roaster at its "sweet spot", which I think is in the 350-450g range. After all, profiling is about getting the best out of the coffee. I had the opportunity to compare roasts with a professional roaster using an IR12 at the time and without comparing any notes, I came in pretty close when it came to cupping, and that was still with having done only three trial profiles. Of course you cannot simply take the profile from the Huky and apply it to the Diedrich (or vice versa), but with a bit of work you can figure out how to convert a profile from one roaster to the other. Using the Huky to perform most of the profiling work can get you some 12-15 various roasts with accurate probe readings, compared to running the IR12 at its minimum charge doing one roast.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 12:36:29 PM »
Thanks a lot for weighing in edjbjon!

The very experienced roaster that recommended the perforated drum to me mentioned that the perforations can be closed.  Having said that, your solid drum recommendation makes a lot of sense.

With the solid drum, do you feel like the Huky could do both sample roasting and profile (small production) roasts effectively?  Thanks for clarifying that the profiles won't be perfectly transferable, as you mention, running smaller batches is more the idea.

Thanks again!
A.

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 01:23:56 PM »
Thanks a lot for weighing in edjbjon!

The very experienced roaster that recommended the perforated drum to me mentioned that the perforations can be closed.  Having said that, your solid drum recommendation makes a lot of sense.

With the solid drum, do you feel like the Huky could do both sample roasting and profile (small production) roasts effectively?  Thanks for clarifying that the profiles won't be perfectly transferable, as you mention, running smaller batches is more the idea.

Thanks again!
A.
I have some three years experience with the Huky (or is it four??? :) ). If I decided on starting up a pro business, I'd start up with both sampling and profiling on the Huky, just because that is a machine that I know how to operate and tweak. But for my production I would definitely need something bigger, like e.g an IR12 or something in that size range. (Cause business is mostly about selling, not roasting per se...)
I would guess that an IR1 would be a somewhat better companion to the IR12, but that comes with a hefty price tag. Still you'd have to adjust the profiles you create with the smaller roaster to work with the bigger one. I.e you do have to adjust any profile from the X roaster to fit the Y roaster, even if they as similar as a couple of IR12s. Putting some effort in learning about how to transfer a profile is time (and some money) well spent. It's all really just some math... There's a video by N3Roaster on the 'tube' that deals with how to all that stuff. I'd guess that a few days and at a maximum a single bag of coffee will get you there, again time and money well spent. You'd of course have to re-interate that with a few different types of coffee, but these re-runs will be much shorter.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 01:50:09 PM by edtbjon »
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 01:53:49 PM »
The very experienced roaster that recommended the perforated drum to me mentioned that the perforations can be closed.

This is not the case.   
Look at this picture:
https://www.hukyforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;pic=19

The grate can be 'closed', but all that does is loosely block the holes at the bottom of the drum.  The grate does not convert a perforated drum to a solid.

Neither of these  is going to allow you to develop a profile which you can use with your IR-12; either of them will probably help you to decide if you want to purchase larger quantities of a bean.
"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 04:24:34 PM »
Brilliant!  Thanks edtbjon and SusanJoM!  Solid drum it is.  And your input on sample and profile roasting is very much appreciated.  I think I understand better what I'm getting into.  Mercifully, time is something I have to invest in this new project.

A.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM