Author Topic: Coming around to automation  (Read 33304 times)

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
Coming around to automation
« on: June 06, 2017, 10:20:03 AM »
So today I found myself using the buttons/sliders and simply forgetting that I still had to turn the gas knob to change the kPa.    :-[

Has anyone come up with a way to use Artisan and a Phidget to actually control the gas?  and/or the fan? 

I'm ready....
"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Offline cgriffith

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 835
  • Charge Weight : 400gm
Re: Coming around to automation
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 07:07:47 PM »
what about this post?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 07:26:38 PM »
YES ! ! !
Thank you.

Offline cgriffith

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 835
  • Charge Weight : 400gm
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 07:49:15 PM »
Yeah, I found that a while back and have bookmarked it.  It is just the sort of project I would buy all the parts for then give up after some small detail derails me.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Offline Chert

• Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 593
  • Charge Weight : 109-115, 400
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 06:24:35 AM »
So today I found myself using the buttons/sliders and simply forgetting that I still had to turn the gas knob to change the kPa.    :-[

Has anyone come up with a way to use Artisan and a Phidget to actually control the gas?  and/or the fan? 

I'm ready....

You have the hardware to record airflow.

Have you explored what hardware can record gas flow?

Let's work on that bit, when you have your airflow piece sorted.

I control airflow through artisan which charts the change setting.  So to add the gas flow charting piece according to how I dial in the gas would be a great step forward.  Can the Phidget you have serve as that interface for gas pressure?  Have you come across such a circuit that works with TC4?
Cooperative / fundraising roasting with Huky 500

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 07:31:36 AM »
I have nothing at all that is specific to a TC4....yet. 
When Jim G re-opens for business on August 1 I will order a TC4C.

Given my minimal comprehension of how it all works, so far, I'm thinking that the Phidgets will serve for the recording functions and the TC4C for the controlling functions?   And Artisan will rule the whole thing ....:-))))

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 08:35:58 AM by SusanJoM »

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 08:38:09 AM »
There is a tantalizing post from Slickrock (who really is responsible for all of us on this side of the pond having HUKYs in the first place) on an upcoming description of how he has automated his gas powered North:

Automating the Huky is a taller order than with most other home roasters, namely because it's a gas roaster....... . Good news is if you have the inclination, you can fully automate Huky with the TC4 and proportional gas valve for duty modulation. I effectively did the same same with my North roaster two years ago. I'm putting the finishing touches on a long overdue extensive post on the subject.

I don't understand the use of the word "duty";  can someone clarify that for me???

Offline Wayneg1

• Global Moderator
  • Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 825
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 400
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 10:05:40 AM »
There is a tantalizing post from Slickrock (who really is responsible for all of us on this side of the pond having HUKYs in the first place) on an upcoming description of how he has automated his gas powered North:

Automating the Huky is a taller order than with most other home roasters, namely because it's a gas roaster....... . Good news is if you have the inclination, you can fully automate Huky with the TC4 and proportional gas valve for duty modulation. I effectively did the same same with my North roaster two years ago. I'm putting the finishing touches on a long overdue extensive post on the subject.

I don't understand the use of the word "duty";  can someone clarify that for me???

My guess is he is referring to "Duty Cycle".  Maybe in reference to being able to regulate from zero (off) to 100% (fully on).  Any other guesses out there??

Offline Chert

• Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 593
  • Charge Weight : 109-115, 400
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 12:10:20 PM »
My guess:   PWM pulse width modulation is used with electric elements.  Short duty cycle, time on versus off is varied, to control the heat output.  I imagine - but I don't know - that his valve takes the PWM signal and adjust gas flow similarly.  And because there is a mass of gas distal to the valve, the flame modulates but doesn't flicker like crazy?  That type of valve is quite spendy, as I recall when I checked into this, like $100 or more.  That DC step motor pulley valve system that someone on HUKY rigged up (great work, whoever that is) is more complicated in the programming for discreet gas settings (I think) - and how would the PID control that ??? - but much cheaper.
Cooperative / fundraising roasting with Huky 500

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 08:59:29 AM »
My guess:   PWM pulse width modulation....

Just in case anyone else had no idea what PWM is:

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/PWM

And probably anyone interested in this subject has already found this old post at HomeRoasters, but just in case, here's a link:

https://forum.homeroasters.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=3506
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 09:04:25 AM by SusanJoM »

Offline beananimal

• Solid or Perf: solid installed, performated available
  • Serial Number: 363
  • J or T : T (+J)
  • Charge Weight : 333g or 400g
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 11:58:33 AM »

Given my minimal comprehension of how it all works, so far, I'm thinking that the Phidgets will serve for the recording functions and the TC4C for the controlling functions?   And Artisan will rule the whole thing ....:-))))
Hello Susan,
When it comes to that point , please double check if it is really the TC4C or another TC4 version you want to buy.
I have it also, not yet in service, but I read that it is not flexible if you want to go beyond the tasks it is designed for.
I am very curious about the next steps of this topic here.
be an animal: be curious. trust you guts. play the game

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 12:06:35 PM »

Hello Susan,
When it comes to that point , please double check if it is really the TC4C or another TC4 version you want to buy.
I have it also, not yet in service, but I read that it is not flexible if you want to go beyond the tasks it is designed for.
I am very curious about the next steps of this topic here.

Ah...hmmm....Well, I thought I made great strides by figuring out I wanted a TC4C and not a TC4, but I will go back and look more carefully.

At this moment I am working on the project I abandoned last year to get the air flow readable via Artisan.
(Phidgets 1011 and 1136). 
Here's the beginning of the inquiry which I put on the shelf an embarrassing length of time ago.  Now it's back on the table...
https://www.hukyforum.com/index.php/topic,153.0.html
If you've got any input I'd love it.  I guess I should resurrect that thread instead of going sideways with this one.

Offline monkey_lever

• Solid or Perf: Both. Solid Installed
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 05:57:39 PM »
If you want full automation of airflow and gas the TC4 is not going to be straight forward for the huky. For the airflow you need additional hardware: solid state relay and zero cross detector. Gas control is more complex one option as mentioned before a proportional valve  or a manifold with high/low settings and solid state relay to control a solenoid valve.

Im controlling the airflow with the TC4 and the gas settings with an additional arduino mega + stepping motor + python as described is some post in this forum.

The arduino mega option is cheaper than the TC4 but you need to code in python all the functionalities that you want.

Regards.

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 06:16:44 PM »
+ stepping motor + python as described is some post in this forum.

So with a stepping motor do you have to write code to have it select each potential  kPa setting?  That's a bit confining -- like using the Buttons set-up.  Either the intervals are too wide or you've got so many buttons it's hard the find the one you want...

Or does it move more like using the Sliders?

Offline monkey_lever

• Solid or Perf: Both. Solid Installed
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 03:57:12 PM »
Susan

Yes, exactly. There is probably a way to control the motor with the slider but I have not tried it yet.

Basically Artisan is telling the python code how many steps or revolutions you want it to move (clockwise or counter clockwise). The added value from using the motor is that I can consistently move the Kpa by a factor of the total pressure. I established maximum pressure to be 4 kpa and defined buttons with 5 % increments of the total steps that the motor needs to reach the total 4 Kpa.

If you want full automation. Having artisan following automatically a background curve. Please check this homeroasters.org post https://forum.homeroasters.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=4362. I havent tried it yet but I think that approach could work for the huky. The proportional valve is another option but is going to be more expensive and you need to find the correct proportional valve.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM