Author Topic: Grinders?  (Read 11479 times)

Offline brew

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 897
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 400g
Grinders?
« on: June 11, 2017, 11:01:04 AM »
I have a nice Euro2000 espresso machine but I only have a Rocky grinder.  Trying to get an espresso grind dialed in after grinding for drip is a PIA and is sub par compared to other grinds I've seen.  I think I am either going to keep the Rocky for drip and pour over only and get another grinder for espresso.  If there is a grinder that switches from pour over to espresso I will consider selling the Rocky and just upgrading.  Curious what most here do?  Two grinders or a grinder that does double duty very well?
"More than half of the accident-involved motorcycle riders had less than 5 months experience on the accident motorcycle, although the total street riding experience was almost 3 years. Motorcycle riders with dirt bike experience are significantly underrepresented in the accident data" -Hurt Report

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
Re: Grinders?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 11:14:09 AM »
Yes to two grinders! ! !   A dedicated espresso grinder is a must in my opinion.

There is a very nice Compak K-10 on offer over at H-B.  http://www.home-barista.com/buysell/compak-k10-wbc-t47233.html#p536025

Heck, save me from buying it for myself....please....I already have one.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 11:17:40 AM by SusanJoM »
"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Offline brew

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 11:49:40 AM »
Ooh..shiny things!  I'll definitely keep that in mind.
"More than half of the accident-involved motorcycle riders had less than 5 months experience on the accident motorcycle, although the total street riding experience was almost 3 years. Motorcycle riders with dirt bike experience are significantly underrepresented in the accident data" -Hurt Report

Offline Adondo

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Charge Weight : 350g
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 01:24:02 PM »
If you really really want the most out of your coffee I recommend buying either;

EK43 for both pourover and espresso (if you like long shots)
Mahlkönig k30 vario (for espresso only)

I had an ascaso mini i2 and upgraded to a mazzer mini E and now yesterday to a k30. What I really like about the k30 is the low retention which is hard to find in fast and commercial grinders. If I instead would be more of a pourover person I'd defenitely go with the EK43. A lot of people I know in the industry have upgraded in many more steps before eventually purchasing that really good grinder which means a lot of money go lost for every little step you upgrade. Therefore I recommend you to skip those middle steps and get a really good and long lasting grinder from the beginning, even though the price tag might be scary.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 01:25:44 PM by Adondo »

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 01:56:26 PM »
for "people in the industry" and for  "gear heads" those grinders are obviously the current rage, but for most of us their primary benefit is that their appeal is going to put a whole lot more excellent quality grinders (like the Compak K-10) into the used market. 

The Compak K-10 is only an intermediate step for a tiny fraction of the population;  for me it is the pinnacle....and I got it for less than $1K, which I thought was a deal....and still do.

P.S.  I should temper this by saying that it has always been true and probably always be true that you should buy absolutely the best grinder you can possibly afford, so if the price of those two new top contenders is within your range, I'll just be jealous and not critical  ;)

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 02:40:42 PM by SusanJoM »

Offline brew

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 04:01:03 PM »
Ummm...yeah.  I'm sure the MK43 is a fantabulous grinder but more than i can afford for a grinder.  My Rocky does find for pour over, I'm going to look for maybe a grinder being sold by someone upgrading to an MK43 like Susan mentioned! :)

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 11:22:38 AM »
Used is the way to go, especially from a Home Barista. If you don't mind hard cranking, a used Pharos is top notch.

Offline brew

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 02:04:57 PM »
Yes to two grinders! ! !   A dedicated espresso grinder is a must in my opinion.

There is a very nice Compak K-10 on offer over at H-B.  http://www.home-barista.com/buysell/compak-k10-wbc-t47233.html#p536025

Heck, save me from buying it for myself....please....I already have one.

Ugh.. Think I waited too long. I was just going to contact seller it is no longer posted.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:42:07 PM by brew »

Offline brew

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 02:58:52 PM »
If anyone has a grinder they want to sell or know of a high end used grinder for sale, please shoot me a pm.

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 11:21:02 AM »
I know nothing about this grinder, but I saw the FS ad this morning at H-B.
http://www.home-barista.com/buysell/mahlgut-mg-1-grinder-t47210.html#p535395

Offline brew

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 12:45:12 PM »
I saw that and it looks intriguing but I think i'm going to hold out for a nice electric.  I'm sure one will come along sooner or later.

Offline brew

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 07:32:50 AM »
Well...I purchased a K10...totally splurged....I should get it next week.  :)

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Serial Number: 321
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 06:00:30 PM »
Used is the way to go, especially from a home barista.

Offline bradenl123

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 04:39:00 PM »
SJM posted above about the Mahlgut and it is phenomenal. I scored mine for 365$ off another HB'er. If money is an issue I would go manual and get a Pharos, Mahlgut, Felgrind, or Helor. The Mahlgut is my first grinder but I think it performs on par with a lot of 1000$+ grinders. I'd imagine Huky owners like to be hands-on and a manual would fit that bill.

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 05:15:30 PM »
Looks to me as if you got the one I linked to for Brew at the beginning of this thread, which is (sorry, Brew) too far afield for this forum, so I'm gonna lock this thread just to keep it from ramblin' on.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM