Author Topic: Connecting to PC  (Read 10482 times)

Offline Iroast

Connecting to PC
« on: July 19, 2017, 09:03:25 AM »
I'm putting parts together wanting to make a purchase. I have two questions.
1) When Mr. Li sent me the accessories it only states in the list USB cable for connecting. Do I have to purchase the Phidget for connecting to PC?
2) What Thermometers do you'll recommend (needed)? Is the Center 301, dual input enough?

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
Re: Connecting to PC
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 09:27:16 AM »
There are others as well; check out Artisan for a list. The inexpensive one on EBay works, not sure about the long term. There's a new Amprobe on the bay missing the USB wire as well.
Mastech MS 6514
https://www.ebay.com/itm/141555186876

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
  • Solid or Perf: both/either
  • Serial Number: 454 (perf) 1243 (solid)
  • Charge Weight : 350 gm
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 11:51:30 AM »
If you order any of the Centers from Mr. Li you will also need the USB cable that he offers to connect to your PC.  Two inputs will work;  many of us like three so we can display BT, ET and MET.  If you use a Center you won't need a Phidget.

If you buy a Phidget new you will get a USB cable with it.

"There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.

Offline Iroast

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 06:40:27 PM »
Hankua, thanks for, "check out Artisan for a list"
I can do more research.

Susan, "many of us like three so we can display BT, ET and MET"
That's good to hear. So it sounds like I'm supposed to only purchase ONE thermometer, so the usb would connect computer to thermometer, not multiple thermometers.

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 07:38:06 PM »
So it sounds like I'm supposed to only purchase ONE thermometer, so the usb would connect computer to thermometer, not multiple thermometers.

Exactly.  You can get a Phidget (which will allow up to 4 thermocouples).  You can get an Amprobe (which will give you 2).  Or you can get a Center (the 301 will give you two I think, but there is another which will give you more).  As Hank pointed out, there are  other options as well;  those are the ones I'm most familiar with.  The Phidget is what I use.

Offline Iroast

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 07:53:49 AM »
Susan,
Since you use the Phidget, do you just use the computer for temperatures or do you also have the temperature gauges connected to see the temps. while roasting. I wasn't sure if it be easier to just use the computer or also look at the Amprobe/Center.

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 08:19:54 AM »
As Susan and Hank says, there are quite a few solutions to choose from. Using a laptop with Artisan is an excellent way to view and record your roasts.
If you do feel a need for a temp meter, either as an emergency meter if your PC fails or for other uses, e.g. a Center meter is a good choice. If you plan for a relatively fixed setup with your roasting station, a Phidget 1048 is very reliable and battery independent (USB-powered). (Again there are other brands of temp meters, which are as good as or better than the Center.)
I do have both solutions at hand, as I started out with a Center 301, but had some trouble with signal noice which is why I bought a Phidget. (That didn't solve my problems, but that is another story...) The Phidget have never failed me in the three years I've used it.

While roasting, it's better to have as few focal points as possible. The temperatures are usually displayed (to the right of the live graph) on the computer screen, which in my mind is better than having to look at the meter for reading the temp(s).

In short, if you're ordering a roaster from Mr Li and want to use a separate meter, the Center 30X (choose 1, 2 or 4 channel) is a good choice. Do include the USB cable from Mr Li, as it works...
Else you can go the Phidget way and order a Phidget from their website (include a casing).
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline SusanJoM

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 10:13:29 AM »
Susan,
Since you use the Phidget, do you just use the computer for temperatures or do you also have the temperature gauges connected to see the temps. while roasting. I wasn't sure if it be easier to just use the computer or also look at the Amprobe/Center.

I have a cheap dedicated laptop with Artisan on it that I use to visualize the progress of the roast.  I like seeing the profile develop on the screen and the progressed lines that indicate where it is going. 

I make most of my decisions based on the projections. (Tools > Extras > Graph > Projections (Linear)

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM