Author Topic: Almost ready to order....  (Read 36367 times)

Offline MJ5150

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 648
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : one pound
Re: Almost ready to order....
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2015, 08:23:31 PM »
I got it sorted out.

My order has finally been placed.

-Mike
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:57:00 PM by MJ5150 »
1970's la Pavoni, Baratza Vario, Gino Dripper, Siphon, Bialetti Moka, Breville BES920XL.

Offline Gregr

• Serial Number: 275
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 454
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2015, 09:00:08 PM »
Excellent- glad to hear it.
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Offline cravecoffeela

• Serial Number: 627
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2015, 09:08:45 PM »
MJ what did you hear at the SCAA event that made you decide to get off the fence?
Congrats on placing your order.

Offline MJ5150

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2015, 09:51:12 PM »
MJ what did you hear at the SCAA event that made you decide to get off the fence?
Congrats on placing your order.

I talked to the guys at Crop to Cup, specifically Ben. I showed him my modified Poplite, which impressed him, but we started talking about fine tuning roasts, and how even though my modded Poplite is uber cool, it isn't going to give me that flexibility. He was saying how when I read up on tweaking roasting profiles or attend seminars and roasting classes, I won't be able to put into use their suggestions about adjusting temps, air flow, cooling, etc with my Poplite. He said if I really want to get into coffee roasting, it's time to upgrade.

We then talked about all the other options for home roasters.....the Quest, Behmor, and Gene. If I remember right, Ben mentioned he had tried all of those home roasters. He said those are all great machines, but the Huky is above them all for what it gives you at the price point. If I wanted what the Huky gives me, but didn't want a Huky, we agreed I would need to step up to the several thousand dollar sample and 1Kg roasters.

What I liked most about talking with the CtC guys was they didn't have any kind of agenda or motive to push me in either direction. Yes, they re-sell Huky's, but that never came up as an option. They were all more interested in helping me achieve 'coffee nirvana' than selling me anything. None of my friends are into coffee like I am, so it was super awesome to spend some time at their booth. A gentleman from Uganda was at the booth, and he shared some great insight with me about the harvesting and growing process.

I love roasting a half to full cup at a time on my modded Poplite, but ultimately I want to go beyond what I can do with it. I've been small batch roasting and handing out samples that have been impressing the local roasters in my area, but I know I can do better and be more specific in dialing in my flavor profiles. All of my friends and family love what I make now, but I will be able to make them more coffee faster and even better quality. That excites me. I love, love, the art of coffee preparation. Heck, I even bought two coffee plants today at the SCAA event.

We also talked about roasting for profit. Having the gas powered Huky to learn on now is going to prepare me for the next step, a larger commercial roaster when I am ready to open that door. I think I can roast for a very small profit with the Huky, but that's not in my plans now.

-Mike
1970's la Pavoni, Baratza Vario, Gino Dripper, Siphon, Bialetti Moka, Breville BES920XL.

Offline cravecoffeela

• Serial Number: 627
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2015, 10:57:05 PM »
Sounds like you had a great experience! I look for to hearing about your roasting experience when the Huky arrives.

Offline MJ5150

« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2015, 09:17:16 PM »
I was sitting here today, reading threads about the Huky and what I could do if I had one. I totally forgot I ordered one. I was excited all over again when I realized yes, yes I DID order one.

Before I get all wrapped up in exhaust mods, fan mods, motor mods, I am going to find me a proper table to store my Huky rig on.

-Mike

Offline MJ5150

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2015, 05:35:25 PM »
April 12th: order placed, paid via Paypal.
April 13th: payment confirmation from Mr. Li.
April 22nd: e-mail from me asking about an exhaust hood, Mr. Li replied to confirm I needed to order one.
April 23rd: payment sent to add one exhaust hood.

I haven't heard from Mr. Li since April 22nd. Maybe my order was pushed out another 14-16 days from April 23rd for ordering the exhaust hood? If so, that seems odd. I sure hope Mr. Li is OK.

I was hoping to get this before I left on vacation for two weeks (May 7th), but it doesn't look likely now. Major, major bummer.

-Mike

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2015, 03:14:18 AM »
It does take some time for Mr. Li to build the actual machine. Also, it seems like he is gaining in popularity, which means longer ques. I.e. when you get the order confirmation, you have a place in the queue. I don't think adding an exhaust bowl would add to building time, as these items probably are made in batches and simply picked from the shelf when ordered.
But once you get his confirmation on shipment (which includes a photo of the package label), you will have it on your doorstep within a few days.
I do recognize that eager waiting... loooong days.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline Gregr

• Serial Number: 275
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 454
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2015, 06:16:27 AM »
I feel your pain! For me this is one of those purchases that I looked forward to so much... Like Xmas morning.
But I think edtbjon is right and Mr. Li is running a busy busy shop right now.
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

SusanJoM

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2015, 08:26:34 AM »
I've had emails from Mr. Li today and yesterday, so I'm sure he is just fine.

Offline MJ5150

« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2015, 05:17:04 PM »
Yes, but the email confirming payment said about 14-16 days for delivery. I understand delivery as delivered to the shipping company, not my house, which is fine.

Today is day 19. I'm not mad, and I'm not going to bother him with an email asking where's my stuff. It is annoying though. When I finally get it, I'll update the shipment times thread.

-Mike

SusanJoM

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2015, 05:42:31 PM »
Ah, but days are days and business days are business days.
There have only been 13 business days since your order.

And yesterday (May 1) was a National Holiday in Taiwan....

So you've got a few more days before the official fretting can begin.....:-)))

Offline MJ5150

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2015, 06:08:27 PM »
You think that's 14-16 business days? I didn't get that impression from his email or when reviewing the order process times from others.

I know I'll get it. I'm not worried about being ripped off.

-Mike

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2015, 01:45:01 AM »
From my own experience... You should read that as: 14-16 days until he goes to the post office with your parcel. It may mean business days.
He does seem to be more busy nowadays, as I had to wait 5-7 days for the compilation of my machine and that was only 6 months ago.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM