Author Topic: New order Extras  (Read 10627 times)

Offline Rs Roast

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 631 (T Model)
New order Extras
« on: March 30, 2015, 10:20:31 AM »
I'm ordering the Huky 500T today and beyond the extra tray which seems indispensable, is there a reason to order an extra fan, funnel, motor, or motor set? I assume the reason to have them is cost of shipping from Korea but how often would a replacement be necessary for a home roaster roasting 1-2 lbs. a week?

Thanks,

SusanJoM

Re: New order Extras
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 10:58:43 AM »
I can't imagine having to function without the second fan and second funnel.  They are indispensable.

The extra motor, drum, motor set are either back-up or if you want the other drum/motor configuration on hand.

Offline Rs Roast

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 11:04:13 AM »
Thanks Susan. I've still yet to see a Huky roast (except as a video) so don't yet know exactly how a second fan and funnel even work but your emphatic recommendation is good enough for me.

R

Offline Rs Roast

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 11:24:10 AM »
PS--I don't know if Mr. Li's new 500T configuration would affect the value of the extra fan or funnel. Again, I'm flying in the dark here a bit about how the Huky actually works in real time.

SusanJoM

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 11:50:41 AM »
Well, I wasn't very helpful with my reasons, was I....sorry.
Here is a picture of my set-up.

As you can see, one funnel is there at the bottom of the exhaust tube over one sieve and one fan.
I  use a second funnel to put the beans in so that I can leave that set-up alone.  In fact, I have used foil and taped the sieve to the fan to keep the air from leaking out around the edges.

I have a second sieve to catch the beans when I drop the roast, and set that on the second fan. (They are on a shelf out of the picture to the left...)

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 06:14:44 PM »
In short: You use the first fan/sieve/funnel as a dedicated exhaust fan. You use the second fan and sieve to cool the beans and it's placed right in front of the roaster all through the roast. When you want to dump the beans (end the roast) you just open the hatch and start the second fan. The second funnel is the one on top of the T-exhaust, where you drop the beans. (As it's about the same size as the sieve, it comes in handy for e.g. pouring the cooled beans into a bag or container without spilling beans all over the kitchen... :) )
The idea of having the second fan and sieve is that the roast is accelerating all through the roast and things are happening very quickly at the end. So the last thing you want to do is to dismantle part of the roaster, clean the sieve and assemble it in another way. The exhaust pipe is by now very hot... All this while the roast is going way darker than you wanted. 20-30 seconds can easily take all the desired brightness out of a roast.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM