Author Topic: Roasting Issue  (Read 12671 times)

Offline matticas

Roasting Issue
« on: December 23, 2015, 02:18:32 PM »
Hi All,

So I'm having an issue with my Huky that I can't figure out.    Beans keep falling out of the drum onto the burner and burner tray.    Below is a link to what's going on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=466sky3J4uU&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp_oXTvgFAI&feature=youtu.be

Also, attached is a picture of the gap between the drum and the drop out.  I think the beans are getting stuck/trapped and falling out through this gap.

Any help or suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

Offline Contrabass Bry

• Solid or Perf: Solid, man. Solid.
  • Serial Number: 355
  • J or T : Extended J
Re: Roasting Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 02:37:41 PM »
Yes, that would appear to be a silly amount of space between the drum and faceplate. Not sure how this is representaive since the drum axle isn't seated in the faceplate.

Has it been taken this completely apart before? I wonder if some of the cross supports (that run from the front to the back aren't seated completely? Maybe the linkage between the rear axle of the drum and the motor is shifted?

At any rate, beans shouldn't be albe to slip out of the drum. Some more data may be helpful. Did it EVER work correctly?

Offline matticas

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 02:52:58 PM »
actually no, it never seemed to accept beans without the motor sounding funky.  i have been able to roast a few batches, but not many without a problem....not sure how to correct this

Offline easygene

• Solid or Perf: perforated
  • Serial Number: 830
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 350
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 03:02:10 PM »
Please let r Li know about this.  Guarantee he will jump on this problem immediately.

Offline matticas

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 03:03:26 PM »
what's the best way to contact him?

also, I'm missing a nut on one of the supports near the motor...you can sort of tell from this picture...

Offline easygene

• Solid or Perf: perforated
  • Serial Number: 830
  • Charge Weight : 350
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 03:25:38 PM »
email him  at gmail below with a picture of the problem and/or a list of anything missing, screws, nuts, temp probes, etc.  He will have them in the mail to you the same day.  email him at:
kuanho.li@gmail.com 

SusanJoM

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 07:33:29 PM »
what's the best way to contact him?

also, I'm missing a nut on one of the supports near the motor...you can sort of tell from this picture...

Did you buy your HUKY directly from Mr. Li?
If so, you can contact him at the same address you used to communicate with him prior to the purchase.

Offline matticas

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 08:41:03 PM »
i bought it from croptocup, who by the way has pretty amazing customer service.  I did email Mr. Li though and he responded pretty quickly.  Said that I need to take the drum out and adjust the axis.   Sounds kind of tedious, but I'll give it a shot and see if I can get it to work right. 

SusanJoM

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 09:22:27 AM »
Well phooey, that's a real drag. 

I don't understand the picture, or where the gap really is, but it's too bad Crop to Cup didn't check it out before they forwarded it to you. 

I'd say it was their responsibility to sort it out for you.

We all hope this isn't a sign of deterioration in the general quality of the HUKYs that are being delivered.  It would put a big dent in our enthusiasm about recommending them.

Offline matticas

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 09:38:59 AM »
so in the picture , you're looking at the underside of the drum and where you drop the beans out.  The gap is between the drum and the face plate.  Mr. Li sent me instructions on how to disassemble the unit and move the drum forward, however I'm a little nervous about ruining or damaging the unit.  I suppose I don't have a choice though, because otherwise it is useless in its current state.

SusanJoM

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 09:48:24 AM »
Well, I'm still slightly confused (not unusual), because doesn't that shaft from the drum go through the face plate and attach to a ball bearing on the front of the HUKY?

That doesn't solve your problem of how to proceed, and I agree that you are between a rock and a hard place, but I still think that CtC should take charge of fixing it for you since they brokered the sale.  Those of us that buy directly from Mr. Li pay less, but we have to assume more responsibility on our own.  Since you paid a premium, you should ask them to take care of fixing it.  Which is easy to say and perhaps not so easy to make happen.

Offline matticas

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 10:10:07 AM »
i believe so, but supposedly i have to take the drum out, and slightly knock the drum forward on the axle and reassemble...sounds confusing, and dangberous

SusanJoM

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 10:17:16 AM »
Well, let me change tack here a bit and tell you that it's really not hard.  If I (old broad that I am) can take a HUKY apart and put it back together again....anyone can.

What I do advise before you do it is that you get a set of better tools than the ones that came with the HUKY.  You want to be able to remove the screws holding the cover on without stripping them so that you can get them back in, and the short little allen wrench that came with the HUKY just doesn't give you enough grip.  (Ask me how I know that...)

Still, the HUKY is pretty simple.  Get your camera out and just take it down piece by piece and take pictures as you go, put the parts in a container so you don't lose them, and....you will be just fine. 

Offline matticas

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 10:20:35 AM »
sounds good, thanks for the tips. 

Offline Wayneg1

• Global Moderator
  • Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 825
  • Charge Weight : 400
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2015, 10:17:05 PM »
Maybe you could video your fix and post it for others who might encounter the same issue. Your othernvideo was helpful so just a suggestion.  Good  luck with the repair.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM