Author Topic: Moving the HUKY to England  (Read 9468 times)

Offline thusband

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 712
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : Varies
Moving the HUKY to England
« on: March 17, 2016, 06:02:14 PM »
Nice man! Awesome video, I enjoyed it.

I am now waiting for my Huky (i just learned how to pronounced it from your video, thanks!) and I can't wait to start roasting.
I would be interested in your setup when you get going.  We plan on moving to England (Dorset) in a year or so from California so I'll have lots of questions.

I'm sure you'll love your Huky.  The learning process is what makes it so much fun and the folks here are very helpful.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 06:37:55 PM by SusanJoM »

Offline Gahwa

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • J or T : T
Re: Re: We've made it to the big leagues!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 06:11:09 PM »
I would be interested in your setup when you get going.  We plan on moving to England (Dorset) in a year or so from California so I'll have lots of questions.

I'm sure you'll love your Huky.  The learning process is what makes it so much fun and the folks here are very helpful.

I have ordered his T model with butane gas stove. I live in a rented flat and I have a de-attached garage but I was concerned of using propane tank in the garage (more on that later), so I decided to go with butane cans and start there then later if required I can order an extra propane stove. With the butane i have the option to roast in my kithen with ventilation or in the garage with door open.

I am excited to go through the learning process and I have started reading up to kill the waiting time.

Offline jyalpert

• Serial Number: 560
  • Charge Weight : 350g
Re: Re: We've made it to the big leagues!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 06:34:03 PM »
I use the propane burner in my garage, with the garage door open (or partially open on cold days).  Also, we had a flood in our kitchen about 6mo ago, and I've been using a propane-fired Coleman stove every day to cook breakfast while we wait for it to be remodeled.

Lots of houses in remote areas use propane instead of natural gas.  I lived in Argentina for 6 months, and our furnace and stove and oven were powered by propane.  The key things to do when burning propane indoors is to make sure you always have the burner lit, and make sure it has a supply of fresh air.  For some reason people are really scared of CO poisoning with propane, which is what happens when you don't have adequate ventilation.  I have a CO detector in my garage but it's never gone off, and I don't expect it ever will.  These IR burners use an absurdly tiny amount of gas.

Now, I'm not advocating anyone do something they're not comfortable with.  Propane seems to have a stigma; my dad came to visit last month and he started yelling at me when he saw the Coleman stove in the kitchen.  Many people are not comfortable with the idea.  What I explained to him then, and what I'm saying now is that with common sense and a little research, there's no reason to believe that burning a little bit of propane in your garage or kitchen is going to kill you.  But again, that's just me, and I totally understand that other people have different risk tolerance.

Offline Gahwa

• J or T : T
Re: Moving the HUKY to England
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 11:19:46 AM »
I tend to agree that there should be no major issues in using propane tanks (especially small ones <4kgs) in a garage when the door is open. I even emailed calor.co.uk (gas supplier here in the UK) about safety concerns, and the customer services advised that it shouldn't be a problem (I stated in my email that I don't park my car in the garage unless I am traveling for a while, and I specifically mentioned that I would be using the gas tank in my garage for a small coffee roaster with the door open).

However, they couldn't address my concerns regarding gas leakage, and that seems to be one of the main safety concerns when it come to storing propane gas tanks in a closed space. There are a lot of discussions about it in many forums (not just coffee forums).

I would always check for leakage and have nothing electronic in my garage that can start fire if gas was leaking (except when I park my car for when I am away) however, I decided I will start with  a relatively safer approach (butane cans that is) until I feel comfortable having a propane tank in the garage.

Offline jyalpert

• Serial Number: 560
  • Charge Weight : 350g
Re: Moving the HUKY to England
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 11:52:58 AM »
Ahhh I see.  I store my tank outside my garage and bring it in when I roast.  (I connect/disconnect the regulator every time).

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM