Author Topic: The New HUKY 500T is now available  (Read 31094 times)

Offline Gregr

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 275
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 454
Re: The New HUKY 500T is now available
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 01:17:28 PM »
Am I missing something here? I understand the new T design is great if you are planning to use a cyclone chaffe collector, but if not, you still have to deal with handling a hot exhaust pipe to dump the chaffe at the end of the roast. I guess it eliminates one handling of the pipe.

D
I might be missing something too but to me it looks like you don't have to actually remove the diversion pipe. From what I see in the photos you raise the [new design also I see] wood covered sleeve above the funnel/bean tray to lift it a few inches, tighten that handy little lock nut, swivel to the side, replace or vacuum the bean tray and dump the beans. Again, unless I'm missing something it looks like a very nice solution to the juggles.
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Offline MJ5150

• Serial Number: 648
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : one pound
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 07:45:20 PM »
So once you load the beans, what comes of the top funnel, the top of the T-pipe in this new config?

-Mike
1970's la Pavoni, Baratza Vario, Gino Dripper, Siphon, Bialetti Moka, Breville BES920XL.

Offline Gregr

• Serial Number: 275
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 454
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 08:18:09 PM »
By turning the lever just under the top funnel you shut off air flow, like closing a valve to that part of the roaster. So you can remove the funnel or just leave it there til next time you want to put beans in the roaster. With 2 funnels this is a pretty sweet solution. If you want to use only one funnel you start out with the diversion pipe swivelled off the fan and bean tray, pour the beans into the roaster, remove the funnel from the top, turn it over and put it on top of the bean tray and fan, swivel the diversion pipe back so it's over the inverted funnel/tray/fan. Then close off the air flow to the top by turning that lever.
I know this sounds pretty convoluted but trust me- when you see it in front of you and do it yourself you'll realize that it's easy and quick. 10-15 seconds for the whole thing, including pouring the beans.
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Offline MJ5150

• Serial Number: 648
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : one pound
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 08:38:43 PM »
That makes sense Greg, thank you.

I'm looking at a few other one pound roasters before I pull the trigger on the Huky. At this price point, under $2K with accessories (from Mr. Li and those suggested here), I don't think the Huky can be beat.

-Mike
1970's la Pavoni, Baratza Vario, Gino Dripper, Siphon, Bialetti Moka, Breville BES920XL.

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
  • Solid or Perf: have both but now using the solid drum
  • Serial Number: 552
  • J or T : Have both - currently using J
  • Charge Weight : 340 - 454g
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 10:23:39 AM »
I ordered the new T pipe and faceplate for my Huky yesterday.  My plan, when I get it is to disassemble, change from Perf drum to solid drum/fast motor and add the new T Pipe to my setup.  I'll finally have some more room between the exhaust fan and the Huky for my worktable, and alleviate the need for Pipe Juggling(which I have gotten pretty good at).  Hopefully the upper damper will have enough strength to hold the next charge load so I can more smoothly do back to back roasts.

I'll post my experience once I get it all together.  HUKY ON!

Offline Johnny4lsu

• Serial Number: No longer own a Huky
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 02:51:55 PM »
I ordered the new T pipe and faceplate for my Huky yesterday.  My plan, when I get it is to disassemble, change from Perf drum to solid drum/fast motor and add the new T Pipe to my setup.  I'll finally have some more room between the exhaust fan and the Huky for my worktable, and alleviate the need for Pipe Juggling(which I have gotten pretty good at).  Hopefully the upper damper will have enough strength to hold the next charge load so I can more smoothly do back to back roasts.

I'll post my experience once I get it all together.  HUKY ON!
I'm thinking about switching to the perforated drum when my upgrade arrives.. Any reason you're going solid?
1 Corinthians 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 04:15:04 PM »
Basic reason is I haven't tried it yet and I want to see the difference in the way the machine reacts, and how that effects the quality of the roasts.  I also think that the solid drum may act more like a commercial roaster, and my goal in all of this is to eventually roast on a commercial machine.

Offline Johnny4lsu

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 05:06:15 PM »
Makes complete sense
1 Corinthians 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.

SusanJoM

Offline Johnny4lsu

SusanJoM

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2015, 07:39:12 AM »
I think he uses the Bella Taiwan Evo?  Maybe the 800?  Hank knows.  Hopefully he will chime in.  Before I bought my HUKY I bought some roasted beans from Papa Lin to see if I could taste the difference.  I couldn't, but they were very good :-))))

Offline Johnny4lsu

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2015, 09:08:37 AM »
I think he uses the Bella Taiwan Evo?  Maybe the 800?  Hank knows.  Hopefully he will chime in.  Before I bought my HUKY I bought some roasted beans from Papa Lin to see if I could taste the difference.  I couldn't, but they were very good :-))))
My only concern with the perforated drum is this: Why are less than 10% (Tomc stated this) of the professional roasters using perforated?

I plan to swap my solid for the perf when it arrives, so hopefully I can come to some conclusions and make a decision on my daily driver.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 09:20:53 AM by Johnny4lsu »

SusanJoM

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2015, 09:24:52 AM »
Honestly?  I have no idea, but I think it's gonna turn out that solid drums are just easier. 

When I first ordered I intended to roast with the perforated/slow set up but I thought I was going to find it too hard and so I had the solid/fast drum/motor included with my original order.

Now I'm loving the perf/slow but....I have a second HUKY body shipping from Taiwan on Tuesday so that I can have both.  I'm just curious (not George).... ;D   

It just occurred to me as well that there are really different subsets of us who are using the HUKY.  For some (like me) it's only purpose is to roast beans for myself;  for others it is a sample roaster and needs to closely mimic the "big" roaster -- probably solid drum;  and for others?  maybe  even a very very small commercial endeavor which might again want a solid drum in order to satisfy a more conventional palate? 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 09:28:45 AM by SusanJoM »

Offline Johnny4lsu

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2015, 10:05:37 AM »
I think you're right...And not all solid/perf roasters are created equal...They all have their unique fingerprints.

I only roast for brew/pour over coffee...Hoping that the perf will be better for that..time and experience will tell

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2015, 12:28:56 PM »
I think you're right...And not all solid/perf roasters are created equal...They all have their unique fingerprints.

I only roast for brew/pour over coffee...Hoping that the perf will be better for that..time and experience will tell

I have been roasting with perf drum since I received the machine and so far - I have had some very good results with it.  I am also taking SCAA classes right now working toward a Roasters Guild certificate.  It seems that a very small percentage of commercial roasters have a fully perf drum based on the information I received from the SCAA classes.  At the end of the day - I want to understand the differences in controllability and flavor in the cup.  I don't think one way or the other is better or worse - I just think that each has it's own idiosyncrasies and requires a different set of adjustments to get the desired output.   

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM