Author Topic: T Pipe Stuck Beans  (Read 17119 times)

Offline Wayneg1

• Global Moderator
  • Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 825
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 400
T Pipe Stuck Beans
« on: December 18, 2015, 02:42:00 PM »
A lot has been posted about beans getting stuck in the T-Pipe Configured Huky.  Although I haven't had an issue with this, like many others have, the request for a quick disconnect from Mr. Li got me thinking.  I think the quick disconnect is a great idea because those tiny screws are a pain.  I lost one but fortunately my bag of tricks from Mr. Li had a bunch of extras in there. We still haven't solved the problem of stuck beans without changing fan settings, tilting the roaster, etc.

I came up with a very simple and inexpensive solution and it took about 2-3 minutes to implement.  I bought a sink drain screen from the hardware store and cut off the metal ring around it.  I put it on the T side of the pipe, just inside the set screws, and made sure the damper was clear.  I put the exhaust pipe on and tightened it down.  This I believe should solve the problem completely.  I haven't seen any beans on the T Pipe side but I always tap the pipe with my wooden spoon right before I drop the roasted beans.

The screen will not end up in the drum either because it is blocked by the damper and can't get around it.  If any real issues occur I'll let you all know.

Cheers.

Offline venerablemonster

• it's all in the reflexes
  • Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 682
  • J or T : T pipe
  • Charge Weight : 500g
Re: T Pipe Stuck Beans
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 02:51:54 PM »
This seems like it's going to cause a lot of issues with chaff? Or am I missing something here.
sic parvis magna

Offline Wayneg1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 03:12:51 PM »
This seems like it's going to cause a lot of issues with chaff? Or am I missing something here.

That's very possible now that you mention it.  I need to roast a natural and see what happens but I think you're going to be correct on that.

Offline Johnny4lsu

• Serial Number: No longer own a Huky
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 05:07:14 PM »
Can't imagine that works considering chaff as mentioned below.. That would be a disaster actually
1 Corinthians 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.

Offline Wayneg1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 05:25:43 PM »
Stuck bean issue solved. Chaff problem created.  :(  Oh Well....

Offline hankua

• Global Moderator
  • Flame On!
  • Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 321
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 324g/454g
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 07:34:54 PM »
Keep working a solution; it's not a failure as one aspect works. 

Offline jvietri

• Solid or Perf: Both - using solid
  • Charge Weight : 454g
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 06:18:12 AM »
For those of us who only roast decaf where there is no chaff, this could possibly work.
jv

Offline Paul

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Charge Weight : 400g
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 04:06:20 PM »
I just got my huky and roasted a couple of batches. I'm also getting a good amount of beans stuck. Any one have any solutions that doesn't cause chaff problems?

Offline brew

• Serial Number: 897
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 05:31:38 PM »
I just got my huky and roasted a couple of batches. I'm also getting a good amount of beans stuck. Any one have any solutions that doesn't cause chaff problems?

It is just going to happen.  It especially happens with higher fan speeds.  You can minimize by slightly elevating the Huky so that it is higher in the front than back with something under the burner tray (I use two paint stirrers).  This has significantly reduced the stuck beans for me.
"More than half of the accident-involved motorcycle riders had less than 5 months experience on the accident motorcycle, although the total street riding experience was almost 3 years. Motorcycle riders with dirt bike experience are significantly underrepresented in the accident data" -Hurt Report

Offline Silobin

• Serial Number: 770
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 05:00:48 PM »
I think I've got it sorted on my huky, I was getting tired of stuck beans too.
The new setup also allows the beans to drop into the roaster almost immediately.

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 05:56:53 PM »
The new setup also allows the beans to drop into the roaster almost immediately.
I kind of like that model better than the current "T". It's however not likely that this current design will be altered any time soon. (I guess that Mr. Li have had a few hundred if not more of the Ts made at the foundry.)
Do note that there were beans stuck with the J design too, just not as many. Silobin's design solves the problem with beans not getting into the roaster in the first place (at "charge"), but the few beans which goes up the pipe in mid- to end-roast is another story. I do believe that those beans are some kind of floaters (light density) beans, so that they will be defects anyhow. I have recently installed the new "Quick Conneector" and that coupling makes it very easy to just lift the whole exhaust pipe and shake out the beans in between roasts, while coasting to charge temp of the next roast. That manouver just adds a couple of seconds to the between roasts protocol.
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline easygene

• Solid or Perf: perforated
  • Serial Number: 830
  • Charge Weight : 350
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 07:51:50 AM »
Last November had asked Mr Li to please make me a quick connect for my newly arrived T Model.  That the exhaust was totally unacceptable.  I told him all future customers would order as his current configuration was a huge negative and the tiny screws were a PITA.
Did really compliment his craftsmanship and made it clear that otherwise his machine was perfection.  Will post a pic of his etched autograph of my machine someday.

He said he would get to work on a QC immediately.   Never dreamed he would turn out such a work of art.

Offline brew

• Serial Number: 897
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 11:28:20 AM »

How do you close the opening for bean drop during roasts?  I don't see a butterfly thingy.
"More than half of the accident-involved motorcycle riders had less than 5 months experience on the accident motorcycle, although the total street riding experience was almost 3 years. Motorcycle riders with dirt bike experience are significantly underrepresented in the accident data" -Hurt Report

Offline Silobin

• Serial Number: 770
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 02:16:40 PM »
How do you close the opening for bean drop during roasts?  I don't see a butterfly thingy.

Actually, I never used them anyway. I find it quite beneficial to draw in cool air from the top as it keeps the fan cooler!   8)

Offline jarnold

• Solid or Perf: perforated
  • Serial Number: 864
  • Charge Weight : 500g
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 04:30:58 PM »
After buying and installing the quick disconnect I pull the T pipe off and charge using a water pitcher. I have not had any stuck beans after doing this and I charge 500g maybe look at buying the if you are just getting started. 

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM