Author Topic: My mobile Roasting Cart **New Exhaust Design 3-27-17**  (Read 43644 times)

Offline unclebenny20

• Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 959
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 350-400
Re: My mobile Roasting Cart
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 09:37:55 PM »
That is a fantastic cart build. I will probably be copying a lot of what you did. Great work and thanks for the detail so the rest of us can copy your work.
Ben in Vancouver

Offline Crzyworm623

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 958
Re: My mobile Roasting Cart
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 09:47:16 AM »
Thanks guys glad you all like it. I didn't initially keep track of the cost.  I ended up spending around 700$ including the variac and Mason jars and a few extra accessories.   Added up fast. I did end up with a bunch of extra Un used items that I didn't list. So hopefully get a little back in returns.

Hoping to complete the exhaust set up today. Spent the last two days at the NYC coffee festival. Lot of great short lectures. Eye openers and broad over view of all parts of the industry.

Itching to get my first roast.

Offline Crzyworm623

Re: My mobile Roasting Cart **Updated Post 3 Exhaust**
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 03:39:02 PM »
I got around to finishing my exhaust (updated post #3) and got my first roast out the way.

I am really happy with my set up. Easy to wheel over, set up, roast and tear down.  Since I no longer store the propane tank in the door side, I have plenty of room for storing my exhaust ducting, my green beans, and a small black and Decker 20v lithium vacuum.  (might try to install a second shelf)

455 Grams of Rwanda Misozi (part of a sample pack)

Looks nice, smells nice

First graph, I think I went a bit long, a little dark, but I also don't see a lot of oils on the surface. 

It was an exciting process, I can't wait to try them, its been about 24 hours, so maybe tonight before work.

Critique is requested on my roast. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 03:42:42 PM by Crzyworm623 »

Offline Daave

• Serial Number: 704
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 350
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 09:00:03 PM »
The roast looks great to me. It doesn't look like a dark roast, and you have a great amount of development after 1C. I'm sure it will taste very good, assuming they're good greens :)

Offline Gahwa

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 06:51:16 AM »
That is some beautiful and very neat set-up right there. Well done!

Enjoy roasting.

Offline Crzyworm623

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 01:24:22 PM »
The roast looks great to me. It doesn't look like a dark roast, and you have a great amount of development after 1C. I'm sure it will taste very good, assuming they're good greens :)

Thanks Daave.  Just brewed up my first cup, and it is delicious.  Natural sweetness, without being overly fruity.  Smooth, with no bitterness or sour (I need to work on my cupping tastes).  I had this bean a few month back form Drift Away Coffee as part of my subscription.  It's just as every bit as good, if not better, but Im biased since I roasted it  ;D.

Measured a 20.3 % extraction using 19.8 grams coffee and 317 grams water ~ 16:1 in a V60

That is some beautiful and very neat set-up right there. Well done!

Enjoy roasting.

Thank you, I got carried away with it, but I love doing this type of thing.  Enjoy.

Offline LTB

• Solid or Perf: Both (solid on)
  • Serial Number: 1003
  • Charge Weight : 460 gr
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2016, 05:56:36 AM »
So now with a little experience, what would you change about your roasting cart ? anything ?
thanks !

Offline Crzyworm623

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 09:07:35 PM »
So now with a little experience, what would you change about your roasting cart ? anything ?
thanks !

Sorry just saw this.  I can't say I would really change anything.  I'm super happy with it.  Everything works as is, and I've had no issues. 

Only change is I upgraded my Pressure Gauge.

Offline LTB

• Solid or Perf: Both (solid on)
  • Serial Number: 1003
  • Charge Weight : 460 gr
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2016, 05:05:24 AM »
Great ! Good for you !

I was very inspired by your cart when I build my own one, so thank you !
I just did'nt reach to get out the button of the variac for now, so it's not very practical, and I have no time to think about it.

Offline Jo

• Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 899
  • J or T : T-config
  • Charge Weight : 450 g
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2016, 01:41:58 AM »
That is a really great and fancy setup.
I can tell that you really enjoy building stuff and solving practical challenges in unconventional ways as you go.

;) ;)

Offline Crzyworm623

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2016, 12:03:05 AM »
So just a quick update.  I had to make a slight change to fix a major problem.  I have been roasting for a few months and my graphs,  specifically the delta BT,  always look choppy and were not very useful to me.  My buddy who also has a huky came over and roasted and couldn't believe how bad the readings were. I had to have smoothing up so high to have something remotely decent looking,  but during roasting the line was useless.  BT and ET seemed to be alright, but I think those smooth on the fly, where Delta BT smooths post roast.

After a bunch of trouble shooting, I found out that by running the thermocoupler wires next to one of the fan power cords, and into the cart where all the outlets are,  caused major EMI.

Pulled the phidget out of the cart and mounted it on the back away from the power cords,  routing the wires along the right side of the roaster and down the back.. Completely changed my roasting and how my roasts track. I actually have a readable delta bt during roasting.

Another note, when using a grounded power plug connected to my laptop, if the roaster was grounded to the cart, I would get no readings from the thermocoupler. Unplugged fine, or non grounded plug I had no issues.  Currently the roaster is not grounded and I'm getting great clean readings,with the wires mounted away from all electric.

This is something you will want to keep In mind as many others have had similar issues.  Or if you are getting choppy readings be conscious of what your wires touch.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:23:29 PM by Crzyworm623 »

Offline chuckcoffee

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 427
  • Charge Weight : 450 gr
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2016, 10:03:47 AM »
Crzyworm623

What did you end up going with for your propane setup? I am in the same mind that I do not want the tank inside but have not figured out an easy way to hook and unhook to the tank. The threading and unthreading of the regulator takes time and is finicky to get it to trigger propane flow. The match is not perfect probably as the tank was mfg in Canada and regulator came from Mr Li.

If any one else wants to post on their solutions please do. Basically a bombproof quick release for gas.

Offline Crzyworm623

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 05:36:04 PM »
Crzyworm623

What did you end up going with for your propane setup? I am in the same mind that I do not want the tank inside but have not figured out an easy way to hook and unhook to the tank. The threading and unthreading of the regulator takes time and is finicky to get it to trigger propane flow. The match is not perfect probably as the tank was mfg in Canada and regulator came from Mr Li.

If any one else wants to post on their solutions please do. Basically a bombproof quick release for gas.

I have a quick disconnect on the propane stove, and I just run the hose through the exhaust door insert with a rubber stopper to seal the draft.  The propane sits outside my door.  I have to hook it up every time.  I removed the rubber gasket on the end of the regulator and have no issues with it seating and getting flow.  No over tightening and its just a bit of pain to thread on the last few turns.

Offline chuckcoffee

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 427
  • Charge Weight : 450 gr
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2016, 07:33:10 PM »
Crzyworm

Ok, thanks for the suggestion on removing the rubber gasket.

Do you have any part info/mfg on the propane quick disconnect? That's looks to be a good fit for my setup.

Offline Charlene

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2017, 12:11:01 PM »
A write up at the Phidget website alludes to EFI sensitivity of the wire conductors leading to the thermocouples.

Their suggestion is to install ferrite beads on the thermocouple leads to filter out the interference if it is a problem.

The ferrite beads are inexpensive and available at any Ham Radio retailer website. I would also go one better and shield the board itself by mounting it inside a grounded small metal enclosure as well.

You want to avoid electrical ground loops as well so that everything has a common ground point.

Edit: It's hard to tell what's going on with the grounded laptop power adapter without more detail but it sounds like a thermocouple or it's signal lead wire is shorted to the roaster. With the roaster ground floating, it works, albeit with temperature data jitter.

As you describe it, with the roaster provided a path to ground at the electrical outlet, there is a problem. If you check for thermocouple probe/leads shorts to the roaster with an ohmmeter you will likely sort out the ground issues.

Second Edit: Went looking for the 1048 manual and found what can also provide insight with the issues you are reporting on data jitter and/or ground issues

Image is a screen capture from this Phidiget users document: http://www.phidgets.com/docs/1048_User_Guide

The Huky's thermocouple hookups pdf, All Things Phidiget, is here for reference: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4HTX5wS3NB2TFVid0h2TGxBWG8

So just a quick update.  I had to make a slight change to fix a major problem.  I have been roasting for a few months and my graphs,  specifically the delta BT,  always look choppy and were not very useful to me.  My buddy who also has a huky came over and roasted and couldn't believe how bad the readings were. I had to have smoothing up so high to have something remotely decent looking,  but during roasting the line was useless.  BT and ET seemed to be alright, but I think those smooth on the fly, where Delta BT smooths post roast.

After a bunch of trouble shooting, I found out that by running the thermocoupler wires next to one of the fan power cords, and into the cart where all the outlets are,  caused major EMI.

Pulled the phidget out of the cart and mounted it on the back away from the power cords,  routing the wires along the right side of the roaster and down the back.. Completely changed my roasting and how my roasts track. I actually have a readable delta bt during roasting.

Another note, when using a grounded power plug connected to my laptop, if the roaster was grounded to the cart, I would get no readings from the thermocoupler. Unplugged fine, or non grounded plug I had no issues.  Currently the roaster is not grounded and I'm getting great clean readings,with the wires mounted away from all electric.

This is something you will want to keep In mind as many others have had similar issues.  Or if you are getting choppy readings be conscious of what your wires touch.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 07:42:02 PM by Charlene »
Andreja Premium Evo, NS G60 grinder, PuqPress tamper, Behmor, Rocky grinder, Technivorm

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM