Author Topic: My mobile Roasting Cart **New Exhaust Design 3-27-17**  (Read 43649 times)

Offline IRB123

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 1231
  • J or T : T
Re: My mobile Roasting Cart **Updated Post 3 Exhaust**
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2017, 06:50:27 PM »
Crzyworm623

What did you end up going with for your propane setup? I am in the same mind that I do not want the tank inside but have not figured out an easy way to hook and unhook to the tank. The threading and unthreading of the regulator takes time and is finicky to get it to trigger propane flow. The match is not perfect probably as the tank was mfg in Canada and regulator came from Mr Li.

If any one else wants to post on their solutions please do. Basically a bombproof quick release for gas.

Based on your setup, with the limited clearance, do you think this cart would work as well in the side without the drawer? Same height as the one you used. I'm not looking to do as much internally so figured this should work fine for me, as well as being much cheaper! Thanks!

I have a quick disconnect on the propane stove, and I just run the hose through the exhaust door insert with a rubber stopper to seal the draft.  The propane sits outside my door.  I have to hook it up every time.  I removed the rubber gasket on the end of the regulator and have no issues with it seating and getting flow.  No over tightening and its just a bit of pain to thread on the last few turns.

Offline Crzyworm623

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 958
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2017, 01:23:27 PM »
IRB123, I'm not sure I understand your question.

As far as the quick disconnect goes.  This is the one I purchased
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HG7TFO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fKJVybDBMWTPQ

To attach the quick disconnected to the hose I went hardware store and found a hose barb with a 1/4" Male NPT.  The barb should fit snugly inside the supplied hose.  Then I used 2 small hose clamps to secure it.

Image for reference only.
I am not sure what size the barb end was.  I tried ordering a bunch off amazon and finally ended going to the store to find what I needed. The Quick disconnect with the lever gets attached to the hose barb, using proper sealant on the connections. 

For the stove, I found a 90 degree elbow https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DE7L000/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think that is the one I ended up using, I don't remember as I had to do a bunch of trial and error to find the right size, best bet is to just go to the hardware store with the stove and find one that will thread onto the stove.  I used a washer between the stove and the 90 to snug it down, again use sealant made for propane on the threaded connections.  The other part of the quick disconnect gets attached to the 90 elbow.

I'll try to get some close up pictures up, and keep an eye on this post.  Thats a quick answer as I'm running late for work and trying to get a roast in.

Offline IRB123

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2017, 02:06:35 PM »
I was wondering if you thought the propane tank would fit in the cart I posted a picture of with the different configuration, with the drawer being there.

Offline chuckcoffee

• Serial Number: 427
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 450 gr
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2017, 05:07:17 PM »
Still working on my setup but got this quick disconnect

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007HG7TFO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Had to pickup some additional items from Home Depot to hook up to the gas line.  Checked with soapy water and no issues. Not sure how long this will hold for but safety checks each time.

Now I don't have to unthread from the gas tank. :)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 05:09:49 PM by chuckcoffee »

Offline Crzyworm623

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2017, 12:40:20 PM »
Still working on my setup but got this quick disconnect

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007HG7TFO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Had to pickup some additional items from Home Depot to hook up to the gas line.  Checked with soapy water and no issues. Not sure how long this will hold for but safety checks each time.

Now I don't have to unthread from the gas tank. :)

SAFETY ALERT!!! The shut off valve needs to be attached to the hose, the way it is now, as soon as you turn on the tank propane is going to start flowing out of the hose.  If you attach the shut off valve to the hose, even in the "on" position gas will not flow until the other end is inserted.  The way you have it now is potentially very dangerous. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:50:25 PM by Crzyworm623 »

Offline Crzyworm623

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2017, 12:47:27 PM »
I was wondering if you thought the propane tank would fit in the cart I posted a picture of with the different configuration, with the drawer being there.

I had plenty of room above the tank, but you should be able to find some dimensions for the interior of the cabinet to be sure. There may be a middle support  between the doors that would get in the way.   My tank fit inside, but the hinge on the door was just enough to make it so the tank could not slide in and out.  You can always find smaller tanks like a 8-10lb. My tank is stored outside, and kept outside during roasting.  I don't suggest bringing a propane tank inside.

Offline Crzyworm623

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2017, 12:54:15 PM »

Offline chuckcoffee

• Serial Number: 427
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 450 gr
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2017, 03:08:49 PM »
Crzyworm623

re Safety Concern

Thanks for the comments. I'll change it up. Strange though I turned the tank valve open(all outside) and although there was a minor pit of pressure the gas stopped so not sure if the regulator has a safety that stops flow. The way you show is more secure and also should protect the quick connect better.

Also question how did you join the 3" dia line vent line onto the nylon reducer? It looks like you cut it, slid it over, and then used heat tape and clamps?

Offline Crzyworm623

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2017, 03:58:05 PM »
Crzyworm623

Also question how did you join the 3" dia line vent line onto the nylon reducer? It looks like you cut it, slid it over, and then used heat tape and clamps?

sometimes you have to purge the regulator to get the flow to start but once its flowing, nothing is stopping it, so yea swap the parts.

For the exhaust, I cant remember if I found a ducting connector/coupler or If I made one out of stainless roof flashing.  I think I made it by just just cutting a piece of roof flashing,  rolling it to size and riveting it.  It fit snug inside the nylon, and the 3" dryer hose.  Secured with clamps and foil tape. No cutting of the nylon or dryer hose. 

Offline IRB123

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »
Crzyworm623, where did you find the 1.25" grommets you used? I've been having trouble finding anything. Thanks!

Offline Crzyworm623

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2017, 04:22:02 PM »
Crzyworm623, where did you find the 1.25" grommets you used? I've been having trouble finding anything. Thanks!

Sorry for the delay.  I'm going to turn on notifications.

Not exactly sure what grommets you are reffering to, but
Everything I got was either from Walmart.com  Amazon.com or Homedepot.com

Offline Crzyworm623

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2017, 05:44:43 PM »
Just finished a redesign of my exhaust. check out reply 3 on page 1 for more details

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 05:49:05 PM by Crzyworm623 »

Offline Brent

• Solid or Perf: perforated
  • Charge Weight : So far 250gm to 350gm
Re: My mobile Roasting Cart **New Exhaust Design 3-27-17**
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2017, 07:45:17 PM »
Nice job.  I may have missed it in an earlier post, but what is that on the outside wall?  A filter of some type, like a charcoal scrubber, or something?

Offline Crzyworm623

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2017, 07:54:55 PM »
Nice job.  I may have missed it in an earlier post, but what is that on the outside wall?  A filter of some type, like a charcoal scrubber, or something?

I'm assuming you mean the round thing outside. It's a high wind chimney vent cap for RVs. Its just a wind screen around an otherwise normal draft vent.

Offline Brent

• Solid or Perf: perforated
  • Charge Weight : So far 250gm to 350gm
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2017, 12:24:38 PM »
Yes, I meant the round, metal thing.   :)

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM