Author Topic: Exhaust Hose Diameter and Recommendations?  (Read 38393 times)

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
  • Solid or Perf: Both (Current: Solid)
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 363gr (.8 lb)
Exhaust Hose Diameter and Recommendations?
« on: March 19, 2015, 12:14:54 PM »
If the exhaust hood is purchased with the Huky, what diameter exhaust hose needs to be purchased in order to connect to the exhaust hood (to vent exhaust out a window or other location)?

I've asked this question in other places, but have not received an answer after several weeks, and haven't seen any definitive information in searches I have done. I'm hoping someone here can help.

From what I've gathered from random photos people have posted, it seems like a 2.5" ID hose (2.5 inch Inner Diameter) is the size that fits the exhaust hood, but I've seen other diameters mentioned by people as well.

I should be receiving a Huky in a week or two, so was hoping I could buy the exhaust hose before it arrives and have things ready. :)

SusanJoM

Re: Exhaust Hose Diameter and Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 12:21:03 PM »
2.5 inch would be a perfect fit to the vent bowl, but seems almost impossible to source, so most of the set-ups we have seen so far use 3" and then either clamp or tape it on.  I've clamped AND taped (belt and suspenders).

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 12:26:09 PM »
Thanks Susan.

I've seen some 2.5" ID flexible metal exhaust hoses for cars, so I'm thinking of picking one of these up.

I think it would work well for the initial connection to the exhaust hood (to get around the "bend" underneath the hood), and then maybe a couple feet out could buy (or "jimmy-rig") an adapter to increase the size to a more traditional/easy to find size hose.

SusanJoM

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 12:33:21 PM »
Thanks Susan.

I've seen some 2.5" ID flexible metal exhaust hoses for cars, so I'm thinking of picking one of these up.

I think it would work well for the initial connection to the exhaust hood (to get around the "bend" underneath the hood), and then maybe a couple feet out could buy (or "jimmy-rig") an adapter to increase the size to a more traditional/easy to find size hose.

Let me/us know if you find a reasonable source.  It would be good information to have and to share.

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 01:02:20 PM »
So I took a gamble and ordered a 2.5" ID hose from Amazon (at least it should be 2.5" ID, according to the manufacturer's website). It looks like Advance Auto Parts carries them as well. Hopefully it works well! I might still try to find an adapter to increase the size to 4" or so (so I can connect a lighter-weight, easier-to-source exhaust hose), but with that much length I might not bother.

UPDATE: Received the hose and my Huky.  The 2.5" ID  hose connects to the exhaust hood connection just right. However, because of the heavy weight  (1-1.5lb/foot) of the hose, I don't think using this type of exhaust hose as anything more than an elbow is worth it. Also, it's difficult to ply the hose into an angle that works without lifting the fan/exhaust hood off its legs, but it is possible with some effort.

I ended using about a foot of the metal 2.5" ID hose, connecting a 3" to 4" metal adapter to that, then connecting a 4" dryer hose to that. Seems to work well.

Walker 36326 (~$8-13; 18in flex tubing):
http://www.amazon.com/Walker-Exhaust-36326-Pipe-Flex-Kit/dp/B001AXBM58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426794470&sr=8-1&keywords=walker+36326

Manufacturer's Product Info:
http://www.walkerexhaust.com/products/pipes-tubing/universal-pipe
http://www.walkerexhaust.com/assets/downloads/english/WalkerFlexTubing.pdf

I'll plan on letting people know how well it works once I have everything together!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:16:29 PM by JavaBuzz »

Offline kenneroast

• Solid or Perf: Solid as of Jan'16
  • Serial Number: 604
  • J or T : J pipe
  • Charge Weight : 227g or 454g
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 03:34:44 PM »
So I took a gamble and ordered a 25ft 2.5" ID hose from Amazon (at least it should be 2.5" ID, according to the manufacturer's website). It looks like Advance Auto Parts carries them as well. Hopefully it works well! I might still try to find an adapter to increase the size to 4" or so (so I can connect a lighter-weight, easier-to-source exhaust hose), but with that much length I might not bother.

Not exactly cheap, but it was about $20 off the normal price on Amazon, so thought I'd bite. One left in stock after my purchase. Here's a link (there's some cheaper, shorter options below too):

NOTE: Information below is from info I gathered on the Internet, and I have not verified that any of these work with the Huky exhaust hood

I'll plan on letting people know how well it works once I have everything together!

The earth must have shaken in your part of the world. I was just looking around on Amazon earlier looking for the same exact thing. Please let me know what you find out. There's no doubt that I'm going to need a reliable way to vent the smoke, but have been too scared to buy anything online in case I run into fitment issues.

SusanJoM

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 06:22:28 PM »
So I took a gamble and ordered a 25ft 2.5" ID hose from Amazon  Here's a link (there's some cheaper, shorter options below too):
Walker 40030 (~$55-80; 25ft heavy-duty galvanized flex tubing):
http://www.amazon.com/Walker-40030-Flex-Tube-Exhaust/dp/B0027J3WVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426793970&sr=8-1&keywords=walker+40030

I'm guessing you are going to find that tubing a bit inflexible. 

You'll never be able to make a mess like this one :-))))
And then compress it all into a short run like the second picture
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:26:37 PM by SusanJoM »

Offline simcw76

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 580
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 08:27:01 PM »
I tried a 2.5 inch flexible hose but was not able to fit it onto the exhaust bowl.

Bought a 3 inch one was a tad too big. Had to clamp it down.

My guess would be a 2.75 inch hose would be a good fit.

Offline kenneroast

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 09:48:07 AM »
I've been wondering about the amount of heat that the Huky puts out at the exhaust port. Aren't the fan blades and other misc parts plastic? So much time has gone into researching options for the exhaust, and I can vouch that automotive exhaust piping has been the most common in the results digging around on Amazon. I did stumble across this, and I'm wondering if the air blowing through it from the exhaust would stay under the 275F limit.

http://www.amazon.com/Flexadux-Thermoplastic-Rubber-Black-Length/dp/B005QP9262/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1427215124&sr=8-7&keywords=2.5%22+id+duct

I looked at all the Walk piping options, and another solution I came up with is to buy 18" of the 2.5" diameter, get a step-up transition from 2.5" to 2", and buy 6' of the 2" galvanized tube. Appropriate  Clamp(s) would be needed also. 2 x 2.5" clamps, 1 x 2" clamp.

2.5" flex pipe:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AXBM58/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

step-up transition:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J2LJJH8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1Y5XHUEKDZ4IY

2" flex pipe:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LEJ32A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A20Q8IL2LCJW1S

Update:
I took a closer look at the fan and it actually appeared to be made of some kind of metal. It's pretty heavy duty.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:34:47 PM by kenneroast »

Offline kenneroast

Offline JavaBuzz

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 05:14:17 PM »
I believe the Walker galvanized hoses support up to 600F. See link below:

http://www.walkerheavyduty.com/en-US/products/flex-pipe

From what I've heard from others, the air isn't very hot once it hits the vent hose, so high heat hose is not critical. Though if a chaff fire occurred, might be good to have something flame resistant.

I am a bit concerned about the weight (looks like some of the options you gave might be significantly lighter), but worse case I figure I can cut the hose and attach something lighter, or just try returning it to Amazon if it just doesn't work.

Thanks for sharing!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 05:19:05 PM by JavaBuzz »

Offline kenneroast

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 10:06:52 PM »
I believe the Walker galvanized hoses support up to 600F. See link below:

http://www.walkerheavyduty.com/en-US/products/flex-pipe

From what I've heard from others, the air isn't very hot once it hits the vent hose, so high heat hose is not critical. Though if a chaff fire occurred, might be good to have something flame resistant.

I am a bit concerned about the weight (looks like some of the options you gave might be significantly lighter), but worse case I figure I can cut the hose and attach something lighter, or just try returning it to Amazon if it just doesn't work.

Thanks for sharing!

My pleasure, and thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I've been really on the fence about these other ducting options, but took the plunge and got the one with a higher heat tolerance (500F). I'd be happy to report any issue I have with it. If it doesn't seem like a good fit, I'll be sending it back to Amazon. Ain't nobody got time for a house fire!

Offline edtbjon

• Solid or Perf: Solid (Perforated in the closet)
  • Serial Number: 498
  • J or T : J (Trying out a Cyclone)
  • Charge Weight : 300-400g
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 06:52:37 AM »
I put a temp sensor in the mddle of the exhaust bowl output pipe and it max'ed out on 68C/155F. (As I had focus on the roast I didn't bothter to follow the temp curve in detail, but the temp never exceeded that 68C value.) I used a standard setup (as pictured in Susans pictures above), with a 65mm flex.tube attached to the exhaust bowl. (That exhaust tube is intended for the heat/ventilation system of a car...)
Now, dare I roast even lighter?

Offline kenneroast

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 09:40:59 AM »
I put a temp sensor in the mddle of the exhaust bowl output pipe and it max'ed out on 68C/155F. (As I had focus on the roast I didn't bothter to follow the temp curve in detail, but the temp never exceeded that 68C value.) I used a standard setup (as pictured in Susans pictures above), with a 65mm flex.tube attached to the exhaust bowl. (That exhaust tube is intended for the heat/ventilation system of a car...)

Thank you for measuring the temperature output. An exhaust tube heat/ventilation system of a car does more than just allow hot air to pass though, yeah? Unless modified, there's usually emission control like one or more catalytic converters. Anyone ever have chaff blow out their exhaust hose?

SusanJoM

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
Anyone ever have chaff blow out their exhaust hose?

The placement of the sieve between the exhaust and the fan pretty much puts paid to that scenario.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM