Author Topic: My 500T Upgrade Setup  (Read 38846 times)

SusanJoM

Re: My 500T Upgrade Setup
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2015, 05:28:28 PM »
Right, but what if you vacuum after each roasting session?

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
  • Solid or Perf: have both but now using the solid drum
  • Serial Number: 552
  • J or T : Have both - currently using J
  • Charge Weight : 340 - 454g
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2015, 06:11:11 PM »
Right, but what if you vacuum after each roasting session?

I have been vacuuming -  where bulk of the clog was the vacuum will not reach.

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2015, 10:35:40 AM »
I received a response from Mr. Li regarding the T-pipe and clogging around the dampers etc.

"Hi Jeff,

There are few reasons causing the bean stuck in the T pipe:

1. The airflow are too strong, some beans might be suck out by the airflow---- please control the valve in order to lower the airflow.

2. There are steams during the roasting, which makes the chaff stick on the pipe----- please wash the T pipe with clear water after few turns of roast."

So there you have it - we need to rinse the Tpipe with water every few roasts in order to remove the "tar" that builds up during the roast. Now we know.   

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2015, 10:43:27 AM »
In case anyone is interested this is the email I sent to MR Li to get that response:

Hello Mr Li,

I wanted to advise you of an issue I am having with my 500T upgrade setup.  Even with significant Exhaust Airflow , I am getting chaff and un-roasted beans collecting in the T-Pipe around the dampers, and down into the main fill/exhaust elbow.  This is occurring only after 7 or 8 roasts with the new 500T faceplate and exhaust tube.  I have been doing 454g charges of late, and although I add the beans slowly some are getting stuck in the T-Pipe.  I would appreciate any advice on how to remedy this.

Thanks in advance for your usual great follow-up and advice.

Please see My photo below to show where chaff and beans are collecting:

Offline murphroast

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : 350g
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2015, 08:46:52 AM »
This sounds similar to the following post on HB: Huky 500: high moisture & clogs. Sorry if it's already been mentioned.

So it seems like the T is just multiplying the problem. Possibly the straight connections vs curved making it worse?

I'll be doing several back-to-back seasoning roasts with old beans when my roaster arrives this week, so I'll be sure to experiment.

Are you using the dampers or variac?

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2015, 10:34:54 AM »
This sounds similar to the following post on HB: Huky 500: high moisture & clogs. Sorry if it's already been mentioned.

So it seems like the T is just multiplying the problem. Possibly the straight connections vs curved making it worse?

I'll be doing several back-to-back seasoning roasts with old beans when my roaster arrives this week, so I'll be sure to experiment.

Are you using the dampers or variac?

I am using a Variac for exhaust fan.  I typically have it running around 40% (determined by lighter test from Scott Rao)for the bulk of the roast, and then higher as I am in FC to pull the smoke away.  The collection of beans is not likely happening from fans initially - but more likely happening from the main elbow backing up during charge, exacerbated by the Sticky Chaff residue that Mr Li is talking about.  At any rate the answer seems to be to disassemble the pipe every few roasts and give it a good cleaning with water.  I also scrubbed with a tooth brush on the T section and a bottle brush on the elbow attached to the faceplate.

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2015, 10:55:13 AM »

I read the post on HB and other than the weather -  it does share some similarities with what I am experiencing with the new T-pipe setup. Thanks for posting.

Offline murphroast

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2015, 01:23:36 PM »
While I'm concerned because I want to make sure I don't have to clean/maintain when there's a simple workaround, it is inevitable with a coffee roaster. Just wanted mention that I don't think there's anything drastically wrong with the design that we can't work around.

I decided on the Huky because it still gives me the ability to hack on it like I did my Turbo Crazy. I'm confident that even with some preventative exhaust clearing between roasts, I'll be doing way less work than with the TC with much better results.

We'll figure this one out, and it looks like hankua is already starting an interesting discussion out of this:
Cleaning the diversion pipe

I'm already wondering why I have a damper on the exhaust that I'm not going to use...

Offline murphroast

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2015, 07:11:46 PM »
So after a few roasts on my Huky T, I've noticed that if I open/close the dampers a few times, any beans and chaff that got stuck seem to fall out and get sucked up by the fan. I don't know yet what the tube will be like after 8 back-to-back roasts, but I'm curious if you guys have tried this.

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2015, 12:31:19 PM »
I re-assembled everything yesterday and ran 3 roasts.  The significant fitting and re-fitting of the T pipe, combined with the need to tip the roaster in multiple directions to clear beans from the tube has got me considering giving up on the new T setup and going back to the original pipe.  Maybe I am just spoiled with the relative ease of using the original pipe - even with the clearance issues of the fan contacting the burner housing. With all of the added assembly and disassembly, fitment issues, cleaning more frequently.  I am not sure it's worth the extra time required.  Anyone else reaching this point? 

SusanJoM

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2015, 12:52:10 PM »
I think a cyclone set-up would benefit from the T-pipe.

For using the original J pipe and exhaust?
Not so much.

Offline jeffgsd

• Roast Taste Repeat....
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2015, 12:56:13 PM »
I think a cyclone set-up would benefit from the T-pipe.

For using the original J pipe and exhaust?
Not so much.

I have been considering a cyclone so I don't have to clean the chaff so often - my worry is controlling the airflow with a more powerful fan.

Not sure I understand the comment on the original J-pipe?  Do you mean with a cyclone?

SusanJoM

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2015, 01:15:25 PM »
Hmmm....What I mean is I think I also prefer roasting with the original J pipe, but if/as/when I go put a cyclone back into use I  think the T pipe has some advantages.

Is that better?

Offline Gregr

• Serial Number: 275
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : 454
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2015, 01:25:12 PM »
Anyone else reaching this point?
Yep- color me lazy but I don't want to be taking anything apart and cleaning it every few roasts.
Huky, Pasquini G4, Compak K10

Offline MJ5150

• Serial Number: 648
  • Charge Weight : one pound
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2015, 01:50:05 PM »
I did four roasts in a row Thursday night. I had one or two beans in the 'T' area of the pipe after the second roast. I blew those out manually. At the end of roast four, no beans or chaff in the pipe. Maybe two beans in the chaff collector.

For me, I remove the funnel after I dump beans and then open and close the top damper on the T-pipe multiple times during my roasting to get a smell for the beans. Sometimes I will see a few beans collected there at the bottom of the curved part of the pipe as it enters the drum, and I just blow down on the pipe to clear them out. It's sort of hot, but not unbearable for the two or three seconds it takes to blow on it.

-Mike
1970's la Pavoni, Baratza Vario, Gino Dripper, Siphon, Bialetti Moka, Breville BES920XL.

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM