Author Topic: Just got my Huky 500T! and..................  (Read 37680 times)

Offline MJ5150

• Solid or Perf: Solid
  • Serial Number: 648
  • J or T : T
  • Charge Weight : one pound
Re: Just got my Huky 500T! and..................
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2015, 12:00:44 PM »
The noise doesn't really bother me so much. I am just worried that I am doing some damage to the unit now that will manifest itself later on down the line.

Out of curiosity...why did you order the 5.5mm socket from Amazon? I went to Lowes and got mine for $3.

-Mike
1970's la Pavoni, Baratza Vario, Gino Dripper, Siphon, Bialetti Moka, Breville BES920XL.

Offline thusband

• Serial Number: 712
  • J or T : J
  • Charge Weight : Varies
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2015, 12:05:49 PM »

Out of curiosity...why did you order the 5.5mm socket from Amazon? I went to Lowes and got mine for $3.

-Mike
Actually what I ordered was a set of four different sizes.  Probably overkill and it would have been a lot faster going to Lowes since USPS mis-shipped mine.

Offline thusband

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2015, 01:49:15 PM »
Well I loosened the motor screws and the screech seemed to subside only to come back again.  After fiddling some more it might have stopped but I won't know until I re-solder the wire that broke from both the switch and the motor.  This is turning into a major project and all I really want to do is roast some frigging coffee.  I haven't soldered in years so I can't wait to see what I break next.

If you remove that motor cover watch those tiny wires!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 03:19:25 PM by thusband »

Offline MJ5150

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2015, 04:49:27 PM »
Well I loosened the motor screws and the screech seemed to subside only to come back again.  After fiddling some more it might have stopped but I won't know until I re-solder the wire that broke from both the switch and the motor.  This is turning into a major project and all I really want to do is roast some frigging coffee.  I haven't soldered in years so I can't wait to see what I break next.

If you remove that motor cover watch those tiny wires!

Crazy, this is exactly how it played out for me with the screech stopping for a minute, then starting up. I was able to avoid ripping off the small wires, but they were wrapped around the switch in a way that it was a miracle I didn't.

-Mike
1970's la Pavoni, Baratza Vario, Gino Dripper, Siphon, Bialetti Moka, Breville BES920XL.

Offline thusband

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2015, 05:09:57 PM »
Crazy, this is exactly how it played out for me with the screech stopping for a minute, then starting up. I was able to avoid ripping off the small wires, but they were wrapped around the switch in a way that it was a miracle I didn't.

-Mike
Yeah, the wires were attached with the smallest amount of solder.  They really weren't pulled very hard at all.  I guess I'll have to head over to Fry's tomorrow and find some more wire.  Lowes and another local DIY didn't have anything that small.  What do you think it is?  20ga?  I know it's stranded.

Offline MJ5150

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2015, 05:31:28 PM »
Yeah, it is tiny.

20, 21 gauge, whatever it takes. :) (that's a reference to the movie Mr. Mom.)

-Mike

Offline jvietri

• Solid or Perf: Both - using solid
  • Charge Weight : 454g
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2015, 06:21:01 PM »
Well maybe he is addressing quality issues. He sent me the following email when I inquired about my delivery time..  Oh well I will be patient I guess......  The wait is killing me!

-----------

Thank you for your patient!!
In order to maintain the quality of hand made, the deliver time has been postponed little bit.
Estimate the deliver date would be July 30.

Thanks.
jv

Offline Leverspro

• Solid or Perf: solid
  • Serial Number: 711
  • J or T : t
  • Charge Weight : 1lb
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2015, 07:39:46 PM »
I received mine last week. Number 711. That's a lot of mchines for one guy to crank out! It took about a month to get mine which he explained was due to a Typhoon in his region. Thankfully it seems to be working very nice without any of the issues mentioned here. I would be helpless. 
Cimbali M20 Lever, Mazzor Major, Hario pour over.

Offline MJ5150

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2015, 08:00:16 PM »
Well maybe he is addressing quality issues. He sent me the following email when I inquired about my delivery time..  Oh well I will be patient I guess......  The wait is killing me!

-----------

In order to maintain the quality of hand made, the deliver time has been postponed little bit.

Thanks.

I got that same email when I asked about my delivery time.

-Mike

Offline thusband

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2015, 08:02:55 PM »

-----------

Thanks.
I would have gladly waited another week or two if it would have kept me from doing what I'm doing now.

Offline MJ5150

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2015, 09:04:55 PM »
**update**

I took the handle and cover off of mine tonight and checked for clearance all around the drum at the front plate and the rear mounts with an icing knife (flat blade all across). There is no rubbing on the front or the back. I still get the whine/grind sound with each revolution. I can time a beat to it.

I tightened, then loosened the four nuts inside the motor housing. I then moved on to tightening and loosening the nuts that mount the motor housing to the main body. Nothing stopped the screech/grind.

While the cover was off and I was inspecting clearances, I accidentally put my thumb on the perforated drum. It instantly made that same screech/grind sound. I started touching my thumb lightly on the drum every other beat of the screech/grind that was already there. Then I noticed ever so slightly that the drum is not perfectly round. It is off just a scosche. So my theory at this point is even though the drum is slightly off from a perfect circle, the motor itself is the problem. It's like the slightest drag on the motor induced another screech/grind.

I'm going to report my findings to Mr. Li and get his opinion. Since I have the 72RPM motor, I am also going to try swapping out the motor, but that doesn't look like an easy task. I'm out of time and desire to undertake that task tonight.

-Mike

Offline thusband

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2015, 09:16:58 PM »
Interesting, thanks for the update.  So do you think the screeching is in the gearing?  Is the motor and gearing one unit?  If so maybe swapping the motor will fix it.

Offline MJ5150

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2015, 09:47:16 PM »
I haven't pulled it all apart to see what makes up the motor, but I do have this picture of the motor from Mr. Li.

-Mike

Offline Daave

• Solid or Perf: Perforated
  • Serial Number: 704
  • Charge Weight : 350
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2015, 07:45:53 AM »
MJ5150 - my fix was to actually re-seat the motor while running the machine. Be very careful when doing this though, since the 2 leads on the motor are hot and you can easily electrocute yourself. At minimum, always keep 1 hand in your pocket just for safety reasons.

It took me maybe 20 minutes or so of loosening the 3 screws, wiggling the motor a little with my screwdriver, then re-tightening the screws until I was happy with it. In the end I still have a little noise during the first few rotations, and then the noise disappears. That motor is loud though! I had thought something more was wrong with my motor when I originally put beans in the machine, then I realized it was just the normal noise the motor makes. I realized this once I watched Mr. Li's video and heard the motor noise when he dropped in his beans.

Offline MJ5150

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2015, 08:18:08 AM »
MJ5150 - my fix was to actually re-seat the motor while running the machine. Be very careful when doing this though, since the 2 leads on the motor are hot and you can easily electrocute yourself. At minimum, always keep 1 hand in your pocket just for safety reasons.

You mean as in removing all four nuts/screws, pulling the motor, then setting it back in?

-Mike

Resources

PRICING and FAQs

ARTISAN RESOURCES

PHIDGET INFORMATION

ROASTING GUIDES

ROASTING TERMINOLOGY

GREENS SOURCES

A FEW VIDEOS

Temperature Converter

Celsius:
Fahrenheit:
Kelvin:

Recent Topics

Rob Hoos article on Thermocouples by SusanJoM
August 31, 2017, 02:52:23 PM

CFM range for exhaust fan by edtbjon
August 30, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

Standard Stove - any ideas what to substitute it with at the European market? by hankua
August 30, 2017, 08:07:16 AM

Just Purchased, Hello from Claymont, DE! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:57:21 AM

Hello from Melbourne, Australia! by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:55:07 AM

New to Roasting (opportunity to buy a Huky) by hankua
August 30, 2017, 07:52:18 AM

Hello from South Korea! by K.Brown
August 30, 2017, 05:40:09 AM

First Roast with Artisan, Feedback Appreciated by edtbjon
August 28, 2017, 04:17:34 AM

And another checklist to validate… by SusanJoM